Wind Noise

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a fix for that noise. The outer mirror has drain holes near the puddle light,it's too big and causes air to leak into the cabin at higher speeds. Tape off the hole with masking tape and drive the car, if the noise goes away, have the dealer reduce the size of the hole with foam tape.

is anyone experiencing noticeable wind noise via the drivers front window at speeds above 40 mph? could this be resolved?

I finally drove mine home from the airport in excess of the speed limits. Did not notice any wind noise as described.

I have the same problem. I brought the car to the dealer and get it back yesterday.

It is better than before but not enough for my taste, I'm not 100% happy. :angry:

Will certainely go back and complain.

Hope they will be able to fix it completely. ;)

I have the same problem. I brought the car to the dealer and get it back yesterday.

It is better than before but not enough for my taste, I'm not 100% happy. :angry:

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THE DEALER THOUGHT THE ORIGIN OF THE PROBLEM IS?

Ihave the same problem. I brought the car to the dealer and get it back yesterday.

PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THE DEALER THOUGHT THE ORIGIN OF THE PROBLEM IS?

They adjusted the window strip. They said :due to the "aerodynamic design" :whistles: of the vehicule air flow is close to the surface of the body and creates a "normal" "buffeting" noise :o

I called Lexus and complained. I will get this issue resolved as well as brake pedal squeal.

This is really unacceptable for a such a vehicule. :censored:

I not fixed in time, I'm decided to apply for the lemon law.

I just test drove an LS 460 today. The car was very quiet until 55 mph. Then the wind noise hit. It was pretty bad at 70 mph. It sounded like it was coming from the mirrors or windshield. How can they do so much to keep that car so quiet and then let wind noise over run the car at freeway speeds. I cannot decide if I should buy one with this problem.

If anyone has input on this please post. Has anyone else noticed this.

Thats a common Lexus issue, my ES is the same way.

Flag ship @ 70K should be perfect. period.

I've had my 460 up to 90MPH (only to pass ) and have heard no change in wind noise over that which I hear at 40 ( or so )MPH .

Plamma

Thats a common Lexus issue, my ES is the same way.

Flag ship @ 70K should be perfect. period.

It has to do with the design of the car, if anything its a tradeoff for having an extremely aerodynamic car. When the rear windows are down and theres nothing down in the front the air is forced in but because of the aerodynamics of the car it cannot escape, which creates a booming noise. Crack a front window or tilt open the sunroof and the problem is solved/

Its fine to say that for $70k the flagship should be perfect, and the LS is damn near perfect for a TON less money than the competition, but things like this are a matter of physics. Lexus cannot defy physics.

Just to be clear, what I'm talking about and what lex330 and Tucson460 were talking about is the booming noise in the cabin when driving with the rear windows down and not the front.

It has to do with the design of the car, if anything its a tradeoff for having an extremely aerodynamic car. When the rear windows are down and theres nothing down in the front the air is forced in but because of the aerodynamics of the car it cannot escape, which creates a booming noise. Crack a front window or tilt open the sunroof and the problem is solved/

im surprised they havent experienced that on any other car...

it just feels like your ears are going to explode. has to do with the pressure from the air and the water in your ears. lol

Its fine to say that for $70k the flagship should be perfect, and the LS is damn near perfect for a TON less money than the competition, but things like this are a matter of physics. Lexus cannot defy physics.

Sorry, but this is not the point. It's not because the LS is less money than the competition that the customer must be more tolerant with such issues.

The LS is a Flag ship, and Lexus must work harder and should check the top of the line way better than this.

If aproduct is not fully ready, they should delay its launch, avoiding customers to deal with that kind of issue.

If they don't know how to control wind noise, then they should not build a Flag ship! Many makes don't have one.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Other than the "rear windows down boom" (yes, I know most cars do it).... I find my car very quiet at all speeds.... Including "way" fast speeds...... I was surprised to see the posts about wind noise. Maybe my hearing is bad. :unsure:

If something is quieter that offers all the performance, comfort, and features that the 460 does, and at the same price, go for it.

Just did a 1,200 mile loop on my 460 this weekend through the mountains and desert. 25.6 mpg.

Still loving it.

Just bought a brand new LS 460L. Had it for one week and noticed wind noise on the drivers side, not the passenger side. Brought it to the dealer, took him for a ride, and he agreed. Next I get a call that the wind noise is a problem with the car and there is nothing they can do about it. Lexus has no fix. Well, after owning a S430 for 5 years, this was unacceptable. I asked the dealer to take the car back and they have offered me to try another LS460L next week. If this problem still exists, they are taking the car back.

Unless the wind noise varies between cars, and I got a quiet one, my hearing and/or sound requirements are definitely sub-par.

Hard to figure what could be different between cars. Assuming the mirrors are the problem, I wonder if there is a chance that the retracting mirrors are not extending back out the exact same distance/angle on each car.....

Just bought a brand new LS 460L. Had it for one week and noticed wind noise on the drivers side, not the passenger side. Brought it to the dealer, took him for a ride, and he agreed. Next I get a call that the wind noise is a problem with the car and there is nothing they can do about it. Lexus has no fix. Well, after owning a S430 for 5 years, this was unacceptable. I asked the dealer to take the car back and they have offered me to try another LS460L next week. If this problem still exists, they are taking the car back.

hold it out for a little longer. WHen more people complain about the problem, then lexus will be notified and they will make a fix for it. Until then, just live with it. its only been out for a few months. give it a few more.

Sorry, but this is not the point. It's not because the LS is less money than the competition that the customer must be more tolerant with such issues.

The LS is a Flag ship, and Lexus must work harder and should check the top of the line way better than this.

If aproduct is not fully ready, they should delay its launch, avoiding customers to deal with that kind of issue.

If they don't know how to control wind noise, then they should not build a Flag ship! Many makes don't have one.

Just my 2 cents. ;)

Dude, we're talking about two seperate things. I'm talking about an acoustic characteristic common to ALL Lexus/Toyota sedans, and most sedans in general when the rear windows are open and the front windows are not. I am NOT talking about wind noise around mirrors.

As for the wind noise thing, again the car is a machine and things are going to pop up in real world usage that didn't in their product testing. They'll get it fixed, and fix any cars affected.

This is why you don't buy the first new car off the line when its a new design.

Honestly? I wouldn't have bought it right off the bat in the first place. Regardless of how rigorous the quality control, there are going to be things that slip by into production. Some wind noise around a mirror is extremely minor when you factor in that I know people with brand new $100,000 S550s who have driven loaners more time than their new cars for serious mechanical defects.

They'll get this remedied, they ALWAYS do. Just be patient, and maybe next time don't be so quick to buy the brand new model. Wait 6 months. Its probably an out of place seal or something like that on a few specific cars, they'll isolate it and repair it. Work with your dealer to isolate the noise.