Buying From One Dealer And Getting Service Elsewhere?

Argelius

Can anyone comment on the scenario of buying from one dealer but getting your Lexus serviced elsewhere?

My situation: I have my eye on a 2007 GS 450h with 3000 miles at a dealer that is inconvenient geographically. Given the rarity of this car (a barely used 2007 450h), it's hard to pass up. However, there's no way I can realistically get my car serviced at this dealer.

What are the implications of getting my car serviced elsewhere? I realize I probably wont get the free car washes (which I really don't care about), but does Lexus, Inc mandate loaner availablitliy for all Lexus owners, or would I be put in the back of the line for these sorts of things?

(Admittedly I understand this will vary from dealer to dealer -- just curious if Lexus as a brand dictates these things).

Thanks.

the must service you as per the convenant. If your car is going to be kept for more then 8hrs for service they must supply a loaner. Secondly the service dept doesn't care where you bought the car. They want your service business.

Thanks. That make sense.

I refuse to take my car back for service at the dealer after I was told an oil change was $125. Sure I got a loaner and car wash but that's robbery. Another dealer wanted $50. Both would "check the car over" but after talking to one of the most respected mechanics in our town (who has worked for BMW, Mercedes and several other major brands his whole life 50+years) I get it done for $29. He will do all of the recommended service's for a fraction of the cost.

Both dealers wanted $90 to change out the acc filter, I purchased 2 filters online for $50 and it took me all of 5 minutes to change the first one out and it will last 15K miles.

I leased my car so was only concerned with keeping my oil changed regularly but now I have decided to keep it for a long time. The dealer wanted $1900 to "catch me up" with all of my scheduled maint. but my mechanic is doing it for $350-$400. At this point the main item is flushing the tranny, checking and lubing the brakes and a few other minor items that will take a couple of hours.

I'm sure there are other's who disagree with me because I have a friend who only goes to Lexus for everything and doesn't mind paying the price but I trust my guy and he works on all of my family members cars plus most of my friends that drive foreign and American cars. The reason I bought the Lexus in the first place was because of the reliability, not to get ripped by the dealer.

One final note, my wife's '95 Avalon has 150K and runs like a dream, my mechanic does all of the service work, I couldn't ask for more.

• 1 month later...

As a Lexus Parts Mgr I can tell you that we do not care where the vehicle was purchased we will service it for you.I will also say that going to an local shop is not always a bad thing IF you have a person that knows the vehicle.I sell to many shops that have been in business longer than Lexus has been a brand so they know cars also and know to use Lexus parts.I had a customer bring back 3 oil filters I had sold him for his RX350 because his shop said they didn't know how to change the filter for him. I asked him if he really wanted to trust someone with his $45k vehicle that couldn't figure out how to change the oil then he said it was the first time so they had had not done one yet.I found out the vehicle just had 5k on it so we would do it for free and offered to let him watch the Tech do it so he could tell his guy how it's done.As far as a $125 oil change I wouldn't pay that either,that's V12 synthetic territory.If you want to drink bottled water or espresso while watching a flat panel tv in surround sound,or drop off and drive an 2007 RX400h,GS350,IS250,ES350 or RX350 come see us.If you just want your car serviced go see them.We might be a little bit more expensive but the best always is.We could have bought cheaper cars but we bought a Lexus.

I don't have mine serviced at the dealer I bought it at, they don't care. Dealers make more money off service than they do sales. I get loaners for everything and treated very well.