What To Do In The Snow?

cre8iv1

Just bought a 2001 IS 300 a few months back and I am loving it.... But was told by another owner that I better buy a set of rims with snow tires...

I got this car for a great deal, and I actually don't have an extra $1,500 to spend on another set of wheels and tires....

Can I just replace my current tires with a set of all-season hi-performance rather than just the performance tires that are on the car?

Has anyone replaced tires and/or have any suggestions?

thanks,

Brett

Just recently purchase a used 2001 IS 300 and have been told by another customer that I need to purchase another set of wheels and tires for the winter....

Can I just replace the existing tires with a set of all-season hi-performance to deal with the snow we might get in PA.

Has anyone dealt with any tire issues?

Thanks for any help.

Brett

I have a set of chrome 18" rims with low profile summer tires.

For mid Oct to mid March I will put the stock rims back on with an "all-season" radial that has excellent to very good ratings for snow traction.

I need to purchase a new tire for the upcoming winter. Currently I am trending toward the Continental ContiExtremeContact (something like that). These will be mounted on the stock 16" rim.

I am outisde of Boston, MA and get my share of snow, sleet, rain and ice. I will not go to a dedicated snow tire cause the sacrifice for traction in snow is increased noise when there is no snow. Think about it, what do you have more of, snow or dry/semi wet roads.

I will take a "all-season" with very good snow traction and low noise over a snow tire with excellent traction and mod to high noise anyday.

steviej

Hey guys I saw your message about what to do in the snow? I had a 2002 IS and sold it to get the new RX 330. I have a set of munted 16" Gun Metal Montegi Racing Wheels and Kelly snowtracker tires for sale. They are in excellent condition I paid $1290 for them and am looking to sell them if anyone is interested you can email me at frazier_rd@yahoo.com. Only serious offers please. Trust me they make a world of difference and you don't have to keep changing your 17" performance tires in and out.

Also get a bag of children's play sand. Put it in a garbage bag so it won't leak. Place the bag of sand in the trunk just over the rear axle and strap it down with bungee cords. This will help the rear wheels get traction and, in an emergency, you can spread some sand near the tires to help get unstuck.

Here in Canada, "all seasons" tires often means "no seasons": not good in heavy rain, noisy and very bad in the snow. I've always got two sets of wheels for every car I had in the last 15 years. I had 4WD, RWD and FWD and now have a RX300 and a G20. For the G20, I have summer Potenza and winter Blizzak. Even with Michelin Cross-Terrains on the RX300, I will get a set of Blizzak next month. You should get a winter tire as narrow as possible: it does not float as much as a wide tire.

I also have a set of folded traction grip bars in each car, a jug of cat litter in the trunk and I never added additionnal weight over the axle because it lowers the rear suspension (bad over the snow!).

Keep in mind that good winter tires can keep you off a ditch or away from a "close encounter with a truck bumper".

Good luck

Do not sell the car. I felt that way too, and I am not expecting any kids, ...that I know of. But just take it easy in the snow, or leave early. That what I did last winter. as much as I could that is. Maybe buy a beater car, something with front wheel drive, and kind of cheap. But safe since you are expecting a kid. good luck, and congrats.-steven

To be nervous a little is OK... But don't sell the car for that?! Any good "ICE STUDLESS" winter tire is great in winter (mind you that the Michelin Alpin is not so great in deep snow). You just can't start as fast, trun as fast and stop as quick. That's all! Take your time, whatch for the others because in winter, EVERYBODY IS DANGEROUS.

My wife and I (moslty my wife) have been driving a Nissan 240SX to/from work since 1996. RWD and very low, we got stuck once during a storm when even 4WD were getting stuck! 3 sets of Blizzaks later, we are still swearing these are the best winter tires, EVER. We can tell stories where we were able to drive around mooses, able to change lane with a collision happening 20 feet in front of us doing 45 MPH in a snow storm, being able to stop over a sheet of black ice 30 feet from a 6 cars pileup, etc, etc, etc...

Winter driving is no fun but it can be as safe as you will make it. Be prepared, specially with the new baby.

Good luck

This will be my first winter in a rear wheel drive car in about 25 years so I'm a little worried too. Started looking into winter tires just today. The Tire Rack suggested Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22 or Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2. I'm thinking of getting winter wheels too. Any thoughts? Help in this area is appreciated.