Considering Purchasing A Buyback

GailH

In the past week, we put a deposit down on a 2007 ES350 buyback that has had the transmission replaced. The car has't been delivered yet to the dealer so we haven't seen or driven it. When we do, we will have the option to back out. The car at $33,795 has 1200 miles and is loaded with nav system, ML sound, etc. I REALLY want this car and, given this, am beginning to wonder if I'm not giving enough serious consideration to the transmission issue. Our thought had been that the problem has been addressed and that we have the remaining warranty if needed. As I read more, however, all I see are reports of negative experiences with these cars.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know if these negative experiences are the norm or are those who are unhappy following replacement/repair the vocal minority?? Does anyone have a POSITIVE story??

2) Is our warranty impacted in any way given that we know we are buying a "lemon" and that we aren't buying it thru a Lexus dealership?

3) Anything we can or need to do/know to best protect ourselves if we go ahead with the purchase?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

I have driven multiple es 350's and i love the car.

There is not a problem with the tranny to say but it does not react like a regular car as it is drive by wire. I found in all drive by wire cars to have it act more normal is to keep it out of overdrive and if applicable to use the power setting for the tranny. This holds gear longer and makes the shifts quicker and crisper. Once this is done it seems like any other car. Even my 98 LS 400 acts odd when i let off the gas and the press it again before it speeds up.

Take the car for some city traffic driving for 1 hour and you'll notice what others have complained about but it is an easy fix or adjustment to your driving stlye.

In the past week, we put a deposit down on a 2007 ES350 buyback that has had the transmission replaced. The car has't been delivered yet to the dealer so we haven't seen or driven it. When we do, we will have the option to back out. The car at $33,795 has 1200 miles and is loaded with nav system, ML sound, etc. I REALLY want this car and, given this, am beginning to wonder if I'm not giving enough serious consideration to the transmission issue. Our thought had been that the problem has been addressed and that we have the remaining warranty if needed. As I read more, however, all I see are reports of negative experiences with these cars.

Questions:

1) Does anyone know if these negative experiences are the norm or are those who are unhappy following replacement/repair the vocal minority?? Does anyone have a POSITIVE story??

2) Is our warranty impacted in any way given that we know we are buying a "lemon" and that we aren't buying it thru a Lexus dealership?

3) Anything we can or need to do/know to best protect ourselves if we go ahead with the purchase?

There are lots, millions, of positive stories.

Insofar as I can tell (reading posts, NO personal experience) the upshift flare only really occurs until the ATF has warmed to operating range.

I would walk in to the dealer with 30 $1000 bills and buy the car.

If you should start encountering the flare problem IMMHO you can solve it by "widening" the ATF sump pan so the transaxle will have more fluid capacity, some of the dealers seem to be saying an extra 1/2 qt will suffice. The problem is that you cannot simply add that 1/2 qt with having it stirred, frothed and foamed via being exposed to the rotating gearsets once it have warmed, and volume has increasing accordingly.

Note that the extra capacity must be accessible via the ATF pump suction pickup, very close to the bottom of the sump pan.

You might want to check, Toyota would be rather stupid to have not somehow supplied that extra ATF sump capacity in the "new" transaxle.

No such currency:

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?1000-Dollar-...?&id=432377

;)

Then how about 300 $100 bills. :P

I would walk in, find the sales manager, give him a certified check for ~$28,000. If the manager doesn't accept that then start adding $100, one bill at a time from an obviously large stack, telling the manager that you already know, have already decided, when you will stop and if you get to that point before the manager flinches, accepts the current "offer", you will pick up ALL your "marbles" and go home.

No such currency:

http://www.ezinearticles.com/?1000-Dollar-...?&id=432377

;)

Then how about 300 $100 bills. :P

I would walk in, find the sales manager, give him a certified check for ~$28,000. If the manager doesn't accept that then start adding $100, one bill at a time from an obviously large stack, telling the manager that you already know, have already decided, when you will stop and if you get to that point before the manager flinches, accepts the current "offer", you will pick up ALL your "marbles" and go home.

Thanks for suggestions re making the deal! We'll see just how much gumption I have once the car is delivered and we have a chance to check it out. In checking the carfax report, it appears that there have been three owners. We're thinking there may be some red flags here. So for now we are on hold. . .

Did you check who those 3 owners are? It is a bit unsual to have that many owners for a new model. May be 3 owners are, the first real owner, Lexus Toyota's agent who bought back from the first owner, and the agent who is selling it now.

We're trying to figure this all out. The first owner listed registered it as a personal vehicle and had it a month (odomoter 12 miles). Next owner listed had it for two months (odometer 190 miles with no listing for type of owner). The third had it for five months (odometer 1158 again with no listing for type of owner). The first alert was listed with the 2nd owner. It was apparently bought at auction from the 3rd owner by the agent we are using. We have to get some questions answered once the car comes in and then decide how much risk we're willing to take. . .

BS like this isn't necessary.

BS like this isn't necessary.

Otherwise the dealer has all the "cards".

Remember, you walked into the dealer's showroom.

Being a commissioned salesperson myself and seeing that I consulted with car dealership sales departments for several years, people always try and dream up these elaborate schemes that are going to save them money. What saves you money is a willingness to be fair and a knowledge of what fair value is for what you're buying. Paying cash for a car doesn't stregnthen your position when you're buying from a dealer (a private party or small used lot sure) for one thing the dealership and the salesman makes a profit on financing and leasing. Dealers make more on financed cars than on used cars, and with modern wiring into accounts they get the money almost as quickly.

i honestly would just buy a new one

He's potentially saving $11,000 off of a new one though. I agree the 3 owners and such sounds dubious though...

Being a commissioned salesperson myself and seeing that I consulted with car dealership sales departments for several years, people always try and dream up these elaborate schemes that are going to save them money. What saves you money is a willingness to be fair and a knowledge of what fair value is for what you're buying. Paying cash for a car doesn't stregnthen your position when you're buying from a dealer (a private party or small used lot sure) for one thing the dealership and the salesman makes a profit on financing and leasing. Dealers make more on financed cars than on used cars, and with modern wiring into accounts they get the money almost as quickly.

i honestly would just buy a new one

He's potentially saving $11,000 off of a new one though. I agree the 3 owners and such sounds dubious though...

".. a knowledge of what fair value is for what you're buying...."

In this instance not even the selling party, the dealer, is likely to know the fair value, wouldn't you agree?

"...He's potentially saving $11,000..."

EXACTLY...! And "potentially" he's buying a real can of worms.

And paying "cash" has nothing to with the suggestion, it's simply a way of quickly determining what, in this quite unique case "fair value" means to the dealer. This car WILL SELL, the question is to whom and for what price.

I'm not talking specifically about this situation, but buying cars in general. Actually if everything checks out with this car, I would expect the fair value to be whatever a UL ES350 with 2k would be worth. The fact that the transmission has been replaced shouldn't change its intrinsic value all that much. Just negotiate down as low as the dealer will go. Coming in with cash isn't going to make a difference from just offering $28k to start.

"...He's potentially saving $11,000..."

EXACTLY...! And "potentially" he's buying a real can of worms.

Which I believe I also said.

If he can establish what guarantees Lexus will make on the car, who has owned it previously (the three owners could be the original owner, Lexus, and then a third party holder for the buyback), and the condition of the car I wouldn't be concerned about the transmission having been replaced by Lexus at all.

Gail, I have 2500 miles on my ES350, I have veered back and forth between "wish i had never bought this car" and "guess I could have done worst" . Its sad but honestly, Im less impressed with this car at this early point in ownership than I have been with any of my other 14 new car purchases excepthing a 1980 Buick.

Its not a bad car, really a pretty nice ride but little disappointments add up and it doesnt have that one great feature that overrides the little faults such as very soft clear coat causing swirl marks simply drying it off, tranny flare, chips like crazy-every little pebble causes a chip, wind noise worst than 2002 altima i traded in,

trunk a little small, nothing major just disappointments. On the other hand, looks great from a distance, bright sunlights causes a wet like shine, sport mode tranny makes for a fun drive, plenty of gadgets to impress your friends, quality click to all buttons, moving headlights a real plus, backup camera in nav system

a quick "how did I ever get along without this?". I think if you can live with lifes little disappointments the deal you are getting is a good one- you are protected by a strong warranty- I see no down side if you plan on keeping it a few years and trading it in.

Thats whats kept me out of the 350, little dissapointments that would drive me crazy if I had one.

I can shed light on two of your issues though:

1. Swirl marks. Swirl marks can be easily fixed, and easily avoided. If you're getting swirl marks its because something you are doing washing or drying wise is incorrect. Most car paint can be swirled in one poor wash, some is softer than others, it also depends on the color. Check out the detailing forum for techniques and products to fix your swirl marks and avoid them in the future.

2. Chips. Unfortunately because of the new EPA regs regarding VOC contents car paint chips much easier today than it used to. The remedy is to have a clear bra installed on the front end of the car. Every car I buy from here on out will get one before I drive it off the lot.

• 7 months later...
So you have searched and found very little.

Now you are ready to make your post.

First gather all the info you have on your question/problem.

This will help you make a intelligent question with accurate responses.

DO NOT MAKE MULTIPLE THREADS IN MORE THAN ONE FORUM. Doing that is referred to as spamming and all threads you make will be deleted.

Find the one that is most relevant . You will be advised if others think it belongs somewhere else.

So where do you want to make your thread. You have to choose which forum is more appropriate for your question.

There are specific forums for specific cars , under 90% of circumstances they should go in there.

The the other times it may fit other places such as ...............

Lexus Detailing and Car Care Forum

Forum to discuss making your Lexus look the business, waxes, polishes, techniques

It speaks for itself but anything to do with cleaning or refinishing your car belongs here. A car is a car and this is not a specific one.

Show and Shine

Just detailed your car? Post your pictures here, brag about it, fish for compliments, and generally show it off to all the other Lexus owners

Wheels and Tires Forums

Any tire and rim question belongs here , not in the vehicle forums. Why ? you ask ,because a tire is inherent to its properties , The car it is used on will not make a tire perform better only the other way around. Fitment issues also belong in this area if you are up sizing tires and rims.

Dealers & Pricing Forums

Forum to discuss and share your experiences with Lexus dealerships

So you went to a dealer and they washed your car and fixed your wipers for free and want to tell everyone else how good they are. Or a dealer washed your car broke your wipers and scratched your bumper then tried to overcharge you . Well they all belong here.

Buy & Sell Forums

Forum to advertise Lexus parts or parts for your Lexus -either for sale, or wanted to buy. No commercial trading allowed. Pretty self explanatory , you want to trade money for parts ,well do it here. If you do this for businesses or with more than one part you will be scrutinized and banned if needed. Many people think the LOC and its members are a person billboard. I hate spam in my email and even more on this board.

Club Events and Meetings Forums

Forum to arrange, setup and discuss meetings of the Lexus Owners Club. All Lexus models are welcome at meets.Pretty easy to know as well. You have local members getting together if you don't see anyone in your area post a thread in this section and others will follow. Also check the LOC map and add yourself to find others.

General Maintenance

Any question pertaining to Lexus / Toyota and oils, premium gas requirements or other lubrication and general parts inquires.

Workshop Tutorials

This section is for when you becomes an advanced members and have done some work to your car to remove or fix a part on it. Then you post in this section to tell other members how to do it with pics if you can. Please do not go here asking for how to do something otherwise it will get deleted and you will not get any help .

General Discussions

This is for any conversations on new/old technology or other car/vehicle developments.

First thing is the title , what should you call your post/baby.

This is all about marketing , many posts are overlooked because they are not titled correctly even though many others know the answer but you did not make it clear. Making a post saying "help me" , "what is this" or other vague useless titles are frowned upon as it shows you do not have the time to input your energy into your own problem and are looking for quick answers. You were always told you receive exactly what you put into something , well this is no different.

Make the year of the car in the title the model is not needed if it is in a specific forum.

What is your car doing or not doing? Now condense it to lets say for example

LS forum

91 not starting when hot

I don't know what to fix next?

This tells readers the important info if they might be able to help or not. Also lets others who might be searching know if the thread pertains to them at all.This way they can add what they have found and help both of you.

Now include all the info you have from previous repairs or modifications. Add any maintenance or accidents as well as this gives the reader a full picture on the car. You need the mileage how long you have had the car and anything else it does which may seem normal or irrelevant to you .

So you now have all the info to make a beautiful post with the answers you need. Now get going and have some fun as well as saving you some time money and effort.

Good luck.

Hello

I bought a 2004 Lexus gx470 for 33.9 and the next day found out it was a buyback. We signed the disclosure , he told us that Lexus just fixed something…Went back the next day to the dealer and told him I did not want this car.. He agreed to exchange the car, because he only has buybacks , he needs to buy it at an auction..(His cars all have a manufacturer 1 year warranty ) so he has been trying to buy us another car.. (I told him an Rx) and it already has been 1 month and he always has an excuse for not buying the car at the auction.. I am desperate and thinking in exchanging the gx for a 2005 lexus rx 330 buyback too that he has at the dealer that the problem is less that the gx , only that the seat had a sound.. (I called the dealer where the rx had service)

I was planning to check it at the lexus dealer and when the warranty expires , get another warranty..

What do you recomend me to do?

Wait for him to buy me a normal used car at the auction? or get the buyback.. (looks like new, low miles and warranty. And $1000 more.)What about when I want to sell it? Nobody will want it right?

Thanks

Adriana

SWO3ES I too sold new and used cars and couldn't agree with you more. Many custormers go in to dealerships with more lies and "schemes" as you so eloquently put it, thinking that a dealership hasn't seen or heard that before. Again, like you said: "What saves you money is a willingness to be fair and knowledge or what fair value is for what you're buying."

But, back to the subject: I would rather look around for another car as opposed to buying an already declared lemon.

Questions:

I havent had an issues. I have noticed very slight odd tranny shifting. I probably wouldnt have noticed it if i was in here reading and driving my car looking for it.

I did also get a slight wind noise in high winds. Seems to have gone away.

Bottom line, My best friend has an exotic car dealership. He gets his hands on Benz, BMW, Infinities..etc....the es is a great car. I wouldnt give it up for most of them that are worth considerably more.

The es is not perfect....but its the best car for the money.

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a buyback due to the transmission and haven't had any problems. We love the car so far. One thing to check, these cars sat for a long time before Lexus picked them up to do the transmission re-work. Our tires had very tiny cracks on the side walls that Michelin is replacing at no charge. Check those tires before taking delivery. We paid a little less $31800 but no nav system.

Questions: