Windows And Sunroof Opens On Its Own, 1999 Ls400

hughes369

My parents just bought an LS400 1999, model, after hearing great things about my 92 LS400. It just has turned 60k miles and the other day had all the windows lower themselves down while my dad was opening and retrieving something from the left rear seat of the car, with that door open. He noticed that window started lowering itself down and he wondered what was going on with it. As he walked around the car he noticed that all the windows had come down, then he then noticed the sunroof had come open as well. If anyone has any input as to why it did this, let me know in a post.

This car is also having a rear lamp malfunction warning displayed on the message display intermittely. Is there some kind of wire like on the 92 LS that breaks and cause a lot of problems? Or does anyone have any idea why this is happening. Any help would narrow down my trouble shooting before i tear into this nice car. This forum has helped me in the past, so i am trying it again.

Thanks,

THE SNAKE

1992 LS400 w/air-ride

1990 Z32 2+2

2004 ZX-12R Ninja

1999 LS400 (parents ride)

1998 ES300 (parents ride) (4-sale)

The windows and sunroof open if the unlock button on the key is held down. Perhaps he inadvertently pressed the button or the button on the key is sticking. Check the owners manual for how the buttons on the key work.

The rear lamp malfunction on the display in the cluster can be caused simply by a bulb in the process of failing -- perhaps a loose filament.

If the rear bulbs have never been replaced it might be a good idea to do so -- you will be surprised at how blackened the glass globes of the taillight and brakelight bulbs will be after 7-8 years.

The windows and sunroof open if the unlock button on the key is held down. Perhaps he inadvertently pressed the button or the button on the key is sticking. Check the owners manual for how the buttons on the key work.

The rear lamp malfunction on the display in the cluster can be caused simply by a bulb in the process of failing -- perhaps a loose filament.

If the rear bulbs have never been replaced it might be a good idea to do so -- you will be surprised at how blackened the glass globes of the taillight and brakelight bulbs will be after 7-8 years.

[/quote

Thanks Jim for the info. I will find out if someone was bumping into the key buttons, as he did not have the keys on him. Probably got pushed in while in my moms purse or something. I guess i need to read up on the features of the newer LS400's. My 92 is great, just turned 205K, and is a decent daily driver.

THE SNAKE

Agreed it is either the button on the key fog held down on unlock or the key cylinder is acting up a bit which also lowers and closes the windos also.

My 98 has it also.

What a treat on a very hot day! I love this feature:)

I agree, great feature! I use it nearly everytime I approach the car 7 months out of the year.

Agreed it is either the button on the key fog held down on unlock or the key cylinder is acting up a bit which also lowers and closes the windos also.

My 98 has it also.

What a treat on a very hot day! I love this feature:)

I agree, great feature! I use it nearly everytime I approach the car 7 months out of the year.

Oh, You're in ATL....Not far from me so we're on the same page weather wise;)

The windows and sunroof open if the unlock button on the key is held down.

What year did they start the windows down while holding unlock button? I tried holding down the unlock button on my '96 and nothing. Wish I had this function.

1998. I purchased a new master key just so I could have this feature, $300. When I purchased my LS it only had the second key.