Winter Care In Mid-atlantic Plan

Steve and Everyone in the Mid-Atlantic (where salt & sand reign supreme Jan-Mar),

Ok, so I'm sick and tired of my BLACK 2005 IS appearing gray-brown for the last 2-3 weeks, due to all of the salt and sand on the roads here in the DC area.....

....so, my strategy is:

- 'Touch-less car wash' at one of those gas-station car washes; this, rather than the pay-to-scrub self washes, due to the below freezing temperatures (yeah, I know Steve, got to 50 today!)....

- take car home, treat with Optima No Rinse, followed by...

- Poor Boy's Spray and Wipe

- Followed by Sonus/Klasses Acrylic spray....

My rationalization for the two-step no-rinse is that:

- the ONR works great after the 'touch-less' car wash misses (and there is no substiture for rag-on-car for getting the dirt off) the deeper and courser dirt and debris.

- the Poor Boys gets out any last fine dirt/debris & streaks, and seems to have a little moisturizer that adds to the finish (seems to add a small shine to the car...)

and then add a final coat of moisterizer and protectant with the acrylic spray.....

So, don't know how flawed my approach is, but would appreciate feedback, comments and suggestions to preserve a black finish in a harsh, salt & sand ladent winter enviroment....

...of course, I'm planning on a long spring cleaning of the finish, including clay, deep cleaning (preceaded by the purchase of a Cable Porter!), etc....

Mike

I think you're being a little overzealous with your three pronged approach. The ONR is sufficient to clean the car after the touchless, as is the spray and wipe probably. I use ONR with Wax as U Dry as I'm drying. No need to follow ONR with S&W and then a QD. Go straight from ONR to a QD if you want.

Thats pretty much all you can do. The roads are so sloppy I haven't even tried. I did run the car through the touchless wash a couple days ago which helped a lot, but it looks just like it did again from just the wet roads.

If I had a silver car at this point, I'd have a detailer wash it for me.

I think you're being a little overzealous with your three pronged approach. The ONR is sufficient to clean the car after the touchless, as is the spray and wipe probably. I use ONR with Wax as U Dry as I'm drying. No need to follow ONR with S&W and then a QD. Go straight from ONR to a QD if you want.

Thats pretty much all you can do. The roads are so sloppy I haven't even tried. I did run the car through the touchless wash a couple days ago which helped a lot, but it looks just like it did again from just the wet roads.

If I had a silver car at this point, I'd have a detailer wash it for me.

I agree. I have two 32 oz bottles of Poorboys S&W and will never see them again on my car. I do what you do, wash with ONR, then ClearKote quickshine and then new and impoved will be Zaino Clear Seal! Have to try it.

PS: I trust ONR more then S&W, big time.

It depends, S&W works but I would never use it unless the car has been thoroughly pre-cleaned in something like a touchless wash. I used to use it routinely in that situation and never had any marring. Anyways it doesn't take any more time to mix up a batch of ONR than it does to S&W the car. So, might as well just ONR.

It depends, S&W works but I would never use it unless the car has been thoroughly pre-cleaned in something like a touchless wash. I used to use it routinely in that situation and never had any marring. Anyways it doesn't take any more time to mix up a batch of ONR than it does to S&W the car. So, might as well just ONR.

True S&W does work but ONR is cheaper, leaves a slicker and more shinning surface and S&W will marr long before ONR will. I think for me the major factor is PB high prices.PB S&W is like $12 per 32 or $31 for a gallon. ONR is $30 for a gallon. I know that ONR will get at least 120 washes for the gallon. Now, I am only guessing here but based on my use of it, S&W you would be lucky to get 60 washes for a gallon.

I agree with you that I would never use it on a non-prewashed car. Problem is that is the foundation of this product. For me, it goes back to the post above. If I am going to pay to pre-clean the car, just use ONR and save time and money. Did I mention a slicker and more shine surface! :)

I guess I am basised now since I dislike PB S&W, EXP and nattys since I tried it. Durability, longevity etc is poor. I love there wheelcleaner for bad wheels but the 3 items above plus there new leather stuff is on my "bad" list.