"tail Light Out" Indicator On - Lights Ok

bbesser

I've been reading the various discussions about how all of the dash indicator lights will come on, which signals a bad alternator. My 'tail light out' indicator slowly came on while driving (during the day with lights off) but none of the tail lights appear to be burned out. The warning light went off when I stopped for gas (at a bargain price of $2.29/gal...) but has since come on and off. None of the other indication lights have come on though. Is this the early alternator failure warning system or just something in the tail light circuit?

Thanks for your comments.

this check tail light signal is also responsible for you brake lights as well. if you have a bulb different then specified by lexus it might give you this signal. or if they are all ok it might that the contact in one of the bulbs is bad.

Check all the wiring for the lights in the trunk lid. There are ground points back there, so make sure that the nuts are tight against the wire eyelets. My light out light was on also. So I changed all the lights, still on. Checked all the wiring and found loose ground. Good luck and advise.

Bryan :cheers::cheers:

I had both things - bulbs went bad, and a bad connector. JAlso after replacing, I apparently did not fully engage the connector and the light went on again, then stopped after I tightened the connector properly.

I have been told that when bulbs go out they go out in pairs. I can't speak for anyone else, but this was true for me. I buy sets of bulbs now if/when I need to.

Phil

Yeah, my rear tailight dash warning light seems to be on most of the time. All of the lights work too. Sometimes it doesn't come on. Huh? I don't let it bother me. I understand everything can't be perfect in a 13+ year old car.

I'm concerned about my PS pump leaking onto my alternator. That's annoying! I need some instruction on how to change the seal inside the PS pump. Does anybody know?