Ipod Kits... More To Choose From...

Anybody have any feedback or opinions concerning Ipod integration kits for the RX __0

I came across this on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-LEXUS-RX400-DIREC...VQQcmdZViewItem

Interesting as there seems to be another choice other than the original from Vaistech. As well, correct me if I'm wrong, but are there not more kits in the marketplace?

The price seems to be really attractive too, my major hurdle for pulling the trigger on the $299.99US Vaistech.

Cheers,

MaloR

Anybody have any feedback or opinions concerning Ipod integration kits for the RX __0

I came across this on ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/2006-LEXUS-RX400-DIREC...VQQcmdZViewItem

Interesting as there seems to be another choice other than the original from Vaistech. As well, correct me if I'm wrong, but are there not more kits in the marketplace?

The price seems to be really attractive too, my major hurdle for pulling the trigger on the $299.99US Vaistech.

Cheers,

MaloR

get the Vaistech. you willnot be sorry... where you may very well be with something you get off of ebay.

I'm going to have a SoundGate XM/iPod interface unit installed in my 400h next week. Soundgate is an alternative to Vaistech and was recently bought by Kicker. The cost is $599.00 installed. Does anyone have experience with this unit? If not, I'll be the "guinea pig" and let you know how goes.

How well does the Vaistech work? When I looked into it about a year ago some folks said not to bother since it was very buggy. Has it improved?

I can't speak to the Vaistech ipod interface specifically, but I've been very disappointed so far with the Vaistech XM interface for my 400h. I'm on the fourth unit so far:

Unit 1) poor sound quality, significant distortion (unknown firmware revision)

Unit 2) arrived broken

Unit 3) also poor sound quality, buggy to adjust sound level, nav screen distortion every time I change channel via presets (firmware 4.33)

Unit 4) worst sound quality of all, with all other bugs still present (firmware 4.34)

Each time I've called and explained the situation I've been reassured that the newest firmware revision will fix all the problem. The last one I received and installed sounded so bad that I immediately removed it and put unit #3 back in. I'm terribly tired and frustrated with this whole thing, and I understand why they recommend installing it in a place where you can get to it easily- you'll likely end up replacing it several times. I need to call Eugene tomorrow and discuss the most recent failure.

I installed this on my Landcruiser that has the same Nav as the Lexus and is works great. $159 and you have full text display and you can change songs, playlists albums or use your iPod controls.

It is next on my to do list for the RX.

http://www.diceelectronics.com/ipod_integration.htm

Below is a how to install iPod adapter.

How to install with pics!

I just had the Soundgate XM/iPod interface installed and it's actually the Vais Tech unit. Soundgate(recently purchased by Kicker) must buy the Vais Tech unit and "re-badge it" At any rate, it sounds great and so far works flawlessly. I hope I don't develop any of the issues that the above post mentions.

I use the Belkin AM/FM transmitter with my Nakamichi and Nano Ipod...Works fine but would love to be hardwired....

They need to come up with a reliable hard wire ipod integration kit for these stock head stereo units.....

• 2 weeks later...

I use the Belkin AM/FM transmitter with my Nakamichi and Nano Ipod...Works fine but would love to be hardwired....

They need to come up with a reliable hard wire ipod integration kit for these stock head stereo units.....

I have the Vaistech unit and I'm pretty happy with it. As delivered, it interfered with the Nav system, so I had to pull the unit out and send it back to Vais for a flash update. Now it works fine. There are some limitations: it requires playlists on the iPod, and on the '06 head unit the display is just the radio display. But the head unit controls work and the sound seems fine.

• 1 year later...
I just had the Soundgate XM/iPod interface installed and it's actually the Vais Tech unit. Soundgate(recently purchased by Kicker) must buy the Vais Tech unit and "re-badge it" At any rate, it sounds great and so far works flawlessly. I hope I don't develop any of the issues that the above post mentions.

Does it work with your 2006 Rx400h?

Does it use the radio screen? Can your read it?

Does it work with your 2006 Rx400h?

Does it use the radio screen? Can your read it?

It works flawlessly on my 2006 400h. The Vaistech displays the Station Number/Artist/Song on the radio's LCD display by alternately pushing the "Text" button on the radio control head. I have no problem reading that information at any time during night or day. My unit offers two sets of six XM channel presets and iPod playback via the iPod's headphone jack(no control of the iPod via the radio head). I'm very happy with the unit as are others on this forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Just purchased a 2008 RX 400h w/navigation system. Is it possible to get seamless integration of both satellite radio (Sirius, not XM) and an iPod. By seamless integration I mean that I can use the navigation screen, built-in controls for both units. It looks like with the OEM equipment I can get one or the other. With Vaistech it looks like I can get integrated satellite or integrated iPod and an AUX jack for the other. Any suggestions/recommendations? Thanks.

• 3 months later...