!whistling Noise In Intake?!

izzy300

Okay, so I have a 2001 IS 300 with about 94k miles on it. When I step on the gas and the rpms shoot up around 3,000 or higher, there is a very high-pitched whistling sound coming from the engine. I thought it was a vaccuum leak at first, but then I assumed it was an intake problem. I replaced the air filter with a K&N and it still makes the sound. :censored:

Has anyone else had this problem and how do I solve it???

Thanks to all replies. :ph34r:

hey, i have a '95 SC400 and i have the same problem, but at about 40mph it starts to whistle. its :censored: annoying! i have been trying to find out what it is and i went to a mechanic and he doesnt know either, if i find out anything ill let you know.

hey, i have a '95 SC400 and i have the same problem, but at about 40mph it starts to whistle. its :censored: annoying! i have been trying to find out what it is and i went to a mechanic and he doesnt know either, if i find out anything ill let you know.

UPDATE!!

Okay, I called Lexus and the tech said to treat the engine like to clean the injectors and stuff. I think it is a crack between the airbox and intake charge piping above the filter. I will try sealing this crack with a sealant to see if that is what it is, cuz the Seafoam I used in the gas and crankcase isn't doing :censored:

hehe I will let you know what I do, any suggestions on a sealant??? I was thinking some of this stuff that came with my K&N filter.

thanks for the help, ya'll. :D

whistle = opening either a crack or loose or disconnect hose in most vehicles.

Right, that's what I am thinking, too. I am getting my friend at Toyota to put it on a vacuum-leak tester Saturday and I will let you all know what I find.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP :cheers:

whistle = opening either a crack or loose or disconnect hose in most vehicles.

Right, that's what I am thinking, too. I am getting my friend at Toyota to put it on a vacuum-leak tester Saturday and I will let you all know what I find.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP :cheers:

Did you find the issue?

• 1 month later...

I'd be curious as to the solution you found if any. I have a similar issue, under load in cooler weather only, so winter it is loud, summer I can't hear it. While accelerating or decelerating, high pitched noise at aprox 30km/hr and sometimes in cold weather I hear it again at around 60km/hr... Although at the moment I cannot recall if it was linked to rpm or km/hr.

It is your throttle body being dirty and causing the engine to be starved for air under idle. Once the carbon is removed it will stop choking the engine and not whistle. Think of the noise like breathing heavy through a straw .

are you sure it's an air whistle? Could be a pulley also. The A/C pulley is nortorious for whistling and whirring. And if your sure it's not that, then with a friend on the throttle, put your hand over the intake and make the whistle change pitch. A lower pitch whistle is easier for the ear to locate. Just a thought.

• 2 weeks later...
are you sure it's an air whistle? Could be a pulley also. The A/C pulley is nortorious for whistling and whirring. And if your sure it's not that, then with a friend on the throttle, put your hand over the intake and make the whistle change pitch. A lower pitch whistle is easier for the ear to locate. Just a thought.

Thanks for al the help, guys.

Now I have determined it is not a pulley as I just changed them with the water pump and timing belt. Also, you can hear it coming from the exhaust, too.

I need to clean the throttle body as someone suggested. Can I just use a regular carb and choke cleaner to get the carbon off the throttle plate??

Thanks again all!!

You might wanna look into "seafoam" and see if that will do what your looking for. The other option is to take the throttle body off and clean it with parts cleaner. Carb and choke cleaner probably won't be the answer, but it's chaep and easy enouph to start with that if you want.

I think taking it off and cleaning it is the best option. You can really get in there and clean it out good. then when you put it back on and start it up, if the whistle is still there, you atleast know it's not the throttle body anymore!LOL!

You can hear it in the exhaust also??????? weird man,,,,, I'm guessing here ok, but maybe you have an exhaust leak??? maybe off the header, or around the cats. that could be why you hear it in the engine compartment and in the exhaust. Maybe check around under there before taking off the throttle body, or cleaning it out with a spray cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...
:rolleyes: Hey what's going on in here? Any results? any findings? Still have the whistle? We need an update here,,,,,,

:rolleyes: Hey what's going on in here? Any results? any findings? Still have the whistle? We need an update here,,,,,,

yup, still got the whistle. I used seafoam in the intake, gas, and crankcase...no dice. Then I cleaned the filter and founda tiny crack just behind the filter bracket. I can't tell if the soudn is coming from that very spot, but it definitely seems the culprit.

I decided I need to sell the car recently tho so haven't been on here much...sorry bout the slack replies :ph34r:

Call me if anyone wants an 01 IS300. Asking $17k cell is 864-993-2493

thanks again ya'll!

• 14 years later...
On 5/17/2007 at 7:48 AM, smooth1 said:

You might wanna look into "seafoam" and see if that will do what your looking for. The other option is to take the throttle body off and clean it with parts cleaner. Carb and choke cleaner probably won't be the answer, but it's chaep and easy enouph to start with that if you want.

I think taking it off and cleaning it is the best option. You can really get in there and clean it out good. then when you put it back on and start it up, if the whistle is still there, you atleast know it's not the throttle body anymore!LOL!

You can hear it in the exhaust also??????? weird man,,,,, I'm guessing here ok, but maybe you have an exhaust leak??? maybe off the header, or around the cats. that could be why you hear it in the engine compartment and in the exhaust. Maybe check around under there before taking off the throttle body, or cleaning it out with a spray cleaner.

I have an 01 is300 and I've had an exhaust leak since I got the car (summer). I just got it welded from the y-pipe back and the whistling continues. It only seems to happen when I floor it at about highway speeds. Otherwise the car is silent.