Gs 450h: Any Actual Owners Here? Need Advice, Support...

Okay. Here's my story. I'm a major gadget and car nut and have been intrigued by the GS 450h for some time. After months of seeing the redesigned GS's on the road and liking what I saw, I finally decided to go for a test drive.

I drove both a 350awd and a 450h. Loved them both. In my very short drive, which was hampered by too much Chicago traffic, I didn't notice a huge difference between them (admittedly I didn't have the opportunity to max out the acceleration).

The hybrid version appeals to me for these reasons:

[1] Touchy feely, it's better for the environment

[2] I just happen to like the idea of driving reasonably fast, coasting to stoplights, and watching the hand-off between electric motors and the engine.

[3] Reliably getting more than 20 mpg just appeals to me (but I know full-well this car is no Prius)

My concerns at this point:

[1] Rear-wheel drive in Chicago. Have gotten used to having AWD and not having to worry about snow tires. (Obviously, this doesn't have anything to do with the hybrid, per se)

[2] Residual value (whether I lease or buy) -- this hybrid performance car seems like such a boutique idea, just wondering if anyone would really want a used one.

[3] Hardly any trunk. (Ultimately, not a big deal for me, but it is awfully small).

Putting aside $$ issues, I'm just wondering if the pluses will outweigh the minuses. Obviously, all of this is totally subjective, but I'd love to hear from current owners about how they feel about their GS hybrid. It's cool to be able to go from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, but in real life, how often do you actually get to do that...

Thanks. Hope someone is listening! :rolleyes:

[1] Touchy feely, it's better for the environment

It's cool to be able to go from 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, but in real life, how often do you actually get to do that...

Thanks. Hope someone is listening! :rolleyes:

Better for the environment maybe a "touchy feely" issue for you, but for some its a serious consideration. Personally, I consider it a moral issue. If I have to drive (and I do living in So Cal) then I want to be able at least say that for my tastes (performance, comfort and capacity) I have the least evironment footprint posssible.

As for the performance in particular, it's not necessarly the 0-60 time but the 40-70 time that you enjoy on a daliey basis. Nothing makes you feel safer than beign able to maeuver out of traffic situation with ease and road to spare.

Better for the environment maybe a "touchy feely" issue for you, but for some its a serious consideration. Personally, I consider it a moral issue. If I have to drive (and I do living in So Cal) then I want to be able at least say that for my tastes (performance, comfort and capacity) I have the least environment footprint posssible.

Oh, I didn't mean any disrespect for the environmental pluses of this hybrid by referring to it as "touchy-feely" (or I wouldn't have listed it as one of my "pluses"). I only used that term cuz I'm used to the backlash from most car "enthusiasts" about anyone who indicates there are other considerations than sheer horse power...)

I'm about 75% there with my decision to get a GSh. Just would like to hear from a few other owners...

My concerns at this point:

[1] Rear-wheel drive in Chicago. Have gotten used to having AWD and not having to worry about snow tires. (Obviously, this doesn't have anything to do with the hybrid, per se)

So if you liked the 350 AWD and you want a performance hybird why are you not looking at the RX 400h?

I would not own a rear drive car anymore unless I lives in the south.

Good Luck