Sludge Warranty, Where Can I Learn More?

tealboy

I rec'd a card from Toyota related to my 2002 RX300 discussing options/coverage related to the well discussed subject of sludge. However, I am interesting in finding info from folks who have either been covered by the extended warranty/settlement or have dealt with your own dealership on this subject. I don't know whether i have a problem or not, though the car does burn a lot of oil, about one quart in 2500 miles (seems like a lot to me). I have not pulled the valve covers.

Any input on your experience with the dealerships and how they are treating this situation would be apprec. I did a quick search and found little info, but if there is a thread already covering this, perhaps you can direct me. thank you,

wow, i thought i would have rec'd a lot of great advice since this topic has been well known and discussed w/ regard to this series/engine. Didn't everyone get the class action suit notice in the mail offering the extended warranty and sludge protection? Mine showed up a few months ago, but i never called the dealer to learn more about it.

Yep, I received the letter/card. And yep, I filed it with our 2000 RX300 AWD records and gave it to the guy who bought the vehicle from us about a month ago after explaining what it was to him. I also told him to just keep up the oil and filter changes and he probably would be able to avoid the oil gelling issue....

I had our dealership inspect the condition of this engine at no charge in the January 2005 timeframe at around 100,000 miles. No gelling issues were found, as expected....