Let's Talk Tech!

Hi all, I am new to the forum (and to Lexus for that matter, being a long time VW/Audi owner/enthusiast).

Let me start with a slight contribution. Those who forgo the expensive packages and thus are left w/o HID (a sin by lexus, in my opinion, having HID is a safety option and should be available individually) could check out www.danielsternlighting.com -> products and search for H9 and H11. Apparently H9 bulbs, much brighter than the H11 on the IS 250, fit on these cars.

Now could someone enlighten me about two things:

- how in the world is it possible that IS 250 rated mileage for manual is 21/29 vs. auto 24/32??? How can an auto tranny be better in all regards? Being an SMG I can see that it could improve city mileage (though a human should be able to emulate it) but on the highway??? Slam it into 6th and turn on the cruise, how can an auto be any better???

- sport suspension: does it lower the car? How much?

A note about the aftermarket. I am starting to realize that the lexus brand offers much less support in this regard. I am a bit disappointed by the absolute lack of tuners, performance mods and the activity on this and other boards. Oh well, I guess different crowd.

Thanks in advance...

There are H11 HID kits on the market. Some people have had good luck with Mtech. Usually it's best to get the kit with integrated ignitor and ballast because there's not much room to locate them in the engine compartmant. Also, 2007 models can be ordered with HID as a single option.

The auto trans could get better highway mileage if the rear axle ratio is different, thus running fewer RPM per mile.

Sport suspension lowers a little less than 1/2 inch.

Some performance mods are available, mostly intake and exhaust. The cars were totally new just last year and it takes the aftermarket some time to catch up. This has nothing to do with Lexus, as they aren't in the aftermarket mod business.

With an IS350 you're already getting a very well performing car, so unless you just want to make it louder, there's really no compelling reason for trying to "improve".

The previous generation, IS300 was more mod friendly, although there really wasn't much available early on. But since the motor is so similar to the Supra, people figured out how to turbo it to anywhere from 300 to 700 HP and more. Even the most fanatic performance people will tell you that with that car, turbo is really the only way to make significant power.

Thanks for the info and tips above.

I am STUCK on the mileage of the IS 250 auto vs. manual.

I found all gear info on this site:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z12614/default.aspx

According to this, the engine of a car equipped with a manual tranny spins the least: 3.727 for each wheel turn, vs. 3.909 turns on the auto car.

(this may be a bit more complex if the 6th gears between auto/manual are different, but that's not indicated on this site).

It makes NO SENSE whatsoever that the auto gets better highway mileage.

Anyone???

Thanks for the info and tips above.

I am STUCK on the mileage of the IS 250 auto vs. manual.

I found all gear info on this site:

http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z12614/default.aspx

According to this, the engine of a car equipped with a manual tranny spins the least: 3.727 for each wheel turn, vs. 3.909 turns on the auto car.

(this may be a bit more complex if the 6th gears between auto/manual are different, but that's not indicated on this site).

It makes NO SENSE whatsoever that the auto gets better highway mileage.

Anyone???

6th gear IS250 manual = 0.79 // Rear axle = 3.73

........ IS250 automatic = 0.59 // Rear axle = 4.10

http://www.toyoland.com/lexus/is300.html

I looked up those H9 bulbs and they are 65 watts. The H11 are 45 watts. I'd steer clear of the H9 as the wiring would probably fail sooner or later at that wattage. We've seen wiring failures on other cars that went to higher wattage bulbs.

Correction: H11 is 55W. A 65W bulb is not going to overload the wiring, I am running with a 65W bulb for years (audi a4). That would be only possible with a much higher, say 100W bulb.

I looked up those H9 bulbs and they are 65 watts. The H11 are 45 watts. I'd steer clear of the H9 as the wiring would probably fail sooner or later at that wattage. We've seen wiring failures on other cars that went to higher wattage bulbs.

Correction: H11 is 55W. A 65W bulb is not going to overload the wiring, I am running with a 65W bulb for years (audi a4). That would be only possible with a much higher, say 100W bulb.

I wouldn't do it, nor would I recommend it.

Thanks for the info on 6th gear ratios and axle ratios....

Now, the question is where can I get a 4.10 for the 6sp...

Man, that would drop the 0-60 times fast. I could care less about lossing a couple of mph of the top end.

:cheers:

4.10 would probably be a good 1/4 mile setup. I don't know if you could just make a straight punkin swap, but it's worth looking at.