Auto Rx

lexdog

Just heard about this product called Auto RX. From there website it state "all-natural metal cleaner designed to thoroughly clean the internals of your engine. Auto-Rx® works as you drive, liquefying the dirty deposits of sludge, carbon and other debris in your engine as it prevents clogs in the flow of your engine’s oil.

Was wondering if any of you have tried Auto RX ? Is it just as sham ? I own a 02 awd rx300 been reading about sludge build in these models my engine probably could use a cleaning.

If not Auto RX is there a comparable product to clean sludge and the internals of the engine ?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

Here's a semi related question about auto-rx. I currently have it in my RX300 as that has always been run on dino oil. But, I have an Toyota Avalon with the same engine that has about 50K running with dino oil and another 25K using synthetic oil. I'd like to use the Auto-RX in the Avalon but I'm a little reluctant to go back to dino oil during the treatment. I've seen lots of warnings that once you start running synthetic oil it is unwise to ever go back to dino oil. But, that is what is necessary for the Auto-rx treatments.

Do the benefits of the Auto-rx outweigh the drawbacks of running dino oil after the engine is used to synthetic?

You can go back and fourth with both and have no issues.

I have used ARX in several cars (4) . Does Auto-RX work, yes. Do other fluids out there work too, yes sir (see below). Autorx for me, is one option to use and does work.

For me when it comes to the pictures, the ones on RMS13 have been around for years. Try to find other pix (before and after of internals) is like pulling teeth Not being negative but saying what I see.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...true#Post745398

all-natural metal cleaner designed to thoroughly clean the internals of your engine. Auto-Rx® works as you drive, liquefying the dirty deposits of sludge, carbon and other debris in your engine as it prevents clogs

Isn't that what engine oil is supposed to do in addition to lubricating? And, to the best of my knowledge, oil is "all natural" too. ;)

I have no experience with this product but I am the perpetual "doubting Thomas" on these products. I use the age old arguement that if it worked as advertised or was needed, then manufacturers would specify its use to keep our warranties. Is there ANY auto manufacturer that says that we must use this?

The other arguement I use is when these products are tested by magazines such as Consumer Reports and such, using scientific analysis techniques, they almost always come up as a waste of money. Has any reputable outside organization EVER tested this product? Again, here is Doubting Thomas! :)

Gary

Yes there is one testing house that likes it; dyson analysis. There are no car manufactures that use it that I know: I do know (1) that tried it

It is a good product but when you can ONLY buy online, I think that makes people (aka general public) think or wonder.

I also think the sludge deal is WAY over blown about Lexus, .

Perhaps you are right about the sludge issue. I beleive that Toyota/Lexus corrected the problem shortly after it was identified.

As far as testing, how many products like the Tornado and the "miracle pills" that you add to your gas tank have you seen with lab results showing improved mpg's? All of them, right? Unfortunately, it is usually their own testaments and "proof" and nothing from an unaffiliated, independent lab.

Gary

aka Doubting Thomas

all-natural metal cleaner designed to thoroughly clean the internals of your engine. Auto-Rx® works as you drive, liquefying the dirty deposits of sludge, carbon and other debris in your engine as it prevents clogs

Isn't that what engine oil is supposed to do in addition to lubricating? And, to the best of my knowledge, oil is "all natural" too. ;)

I have no experience with this product but I am the perpetual "doubting Thomas" on these products. I use the age old arguement that if it worked as advertised or was needed, then manufacturers would specify its use to keep our warranties. Is there ANY auto manufacturer that says that we must use this?

The other arguement I use is when these products are tested by magazines such as Consumer Reports and such, using scientific analysis techniques, they almost always come up as a waste of money. Has any reputable outside organization EVER tested this product? Again, here is Doubting Thomas! :)

Gary

Gary,

It is perfectly OK to doubt something and ask for scientific data. IMHO it is better than the "It is brand X so it must work" attitude.

Additive package in engine oil clean engine to a certain extent, they don't work on sludge already baked on the metal. Would you use Windex to clean BBQ grills after a nice 4th of July backyard party, even though Windex is a good cleaner?

I used Auto-RX recently to stop a leak. Before using Auto-RX I can find couple of dime sized oil drops marked on the driveway. I am currently in the rinse phase of 2nd cycle, which is 5600 miles after I first started treatment, the leak is so tiny that no visible drop is found. Will it stop my leak? I will find out in 2 weeks.

I have been feeding my RX300 with Mobil 1 synthetic oil ever since its 3rd oil change, you would think the cleaning ability of M1 synthetic oil should be sufficient for 1mz-fe, any junk would be gone after 80K of continue usage of a top notch synthetic oil right? :blink:

After I changed oil and cut open the filter first cleaning phase, which is 1500 miles after I put 10 oz of Auto-RX with a fresh dino oil change w/ filter, I found fine sandy sludge particles trapped in the filter element. BTW, I cut open the BOSCH oil filter used just before Auto-RX treatment, no sludge is ever found.

It is clear minor sludge started to form on the engine, Mobil 1 5w-30 could not do the job that Auto-RX did: clean that hard deposit off the metal engine parts safely.

I still have 1100 miles left in rinse phase to be finished with Auto-RX treatment, so I can't say my leak is 100% stopped, but I know it cleaned off the sludge fur sure.

Now back to doubting Thomas, would you be also open minded when proofs are presented, or be perpetually doubting because "There is just no way additive Y works because it is not supported by brand X?"

Aren't you the one who made an excellent comment that you want "OEM quality" but not necessary "OEM parts"?

post-13204-1171935765_thumb.jpg

No sludge in your 1mz-fe? If you don't pull off the valve cover, how can one be sure? I never let my Mobil 1 last more than 8K and I don't operate in special operating conditions as defined in RX300's Supplement Owners Manual. And I was dead sure that sludge won't happen to me. I was surprised to found fine sludge particles near the bottom of the pan, after I drain off the oil trapped inside the now cut-open filter. Those aren't sands from our beautiful California beaches...

post-13204-1171936519_thumb.jpg

No sludge in your 1mz-fe? If you don't pull off the valve cover, how can one be sure? I never let my Mobil 1 last more than 8K and I don't operate in special operating conditions as defined in RX300's Supplement Owners Manual. And I was dead sure that sludge won't happen to me. I was surprised to found fine sludge particles near the bottom of the pan, after I drain off the oil trapped inside the now cut-open filter. Those aren't sands from our beautiful California beaches...

I am VERY sure.

Nope, no sludge in my sludge prone 1MZ blah blah blah and am doing 10 to 12K drains. Again the sludge is is WAY overblown here. There are a few pictures on this forum, but why not! LOL I even pulled the valve cover to be sure. Clean as can be! I have many more if needed.

clearshotti4.th.jpg

I again an not knocking any product but I still have yet to find anything in my oil filters in 5 separate gas/diesel engines runnning it or using anything in the oils or oil itself. My oil filters have nothing in them (pleats) at all and I let them drains for over 3 days each one. I might have a few little dirty items in the inner shall of the oil filter no mater what I using or not use; this is the function of an oil filter.

For me, oil tests are a great thing and takes the guess work out of the equation....if people use them.

What I dislike is people show dirty oil or filters with some dirt in them. I love that one. That is great but the problem is what did it look like running normal dino?

Nope, no sludge in my sludge prone 1MZ and am doing 10 to 12K drains. There are a few pictures on this forum. I even pulled the valve cover to be sure. Clean as can be! I again an not knocking any product but I still have yet to find anything in my filters.

Good for you! LC20 + Amsol is pretty good combo. As for me, I will give German Castrol + 3 oz of Auto-RX maintenance a try in the future, best yet, I will take a UOA after 6000 miles to verify everything is cool.

SW03ES,

Yes, I have learned not to trust Lexus' oil change recommendation, just unfortunately not early enough.

My pictures are posted here for those who want to give Auto-RX a try, just another solution if someone's sludge warranty expired or just want to do preventative maintenance themselves.

Peace!

sludge or carbon?

Good for you! LC20 + Amsol is pretty good combo. As for me, I will give German Castrol + 3 oz of Auto-RX maintenance a try in the future, best yet, I will take a UOA after 6000 miles to verify everything is cool.

SW03ES,

Yes, I have learned not to trust Lexus' oil change recommendation, just unfortunately not early enough.

My pictures are posted here for those who want to give Auto-RX a try, just another solution if someone's sludge warranty expired or just want to do preventative maintenance themselves.

Peace!

This is PRE anything (@ 100,000 miles on car) other then Amsoil 5w-30 (ASL) and wix/Amsoil old school SDF's. I was running LC20 in another run after of Amsoil to see what it did; helped big time. If I where you, #1 why are you running 6K drains? #2, after only 6K miles I would assume oil etc is fine since that is not many miles. You could do that with a $1.20 per/qt oil and be fine. Do you have a benchmark UOA with GC alone?

I AM going to do the samething as yourself; however, I am going to run 3oz using Amosil ASL (same duration too), like last time ,and see what happens. Just want to see how it does.

My ES300 does have more power after using it but it took 2 apps to do so. Same with my wifes car, more power but needed 2 apps (60K miles). The mpg are still same as before. For me the power factor is a nice improvement. I know lucas UCL made it (engine) much smoother then FP60 ever did. I would recommend this, autorx product to people. If they did not want to wait (4,000 miles) or go online to buy, I would recommend some like kerosene, seafoam, B12, nautra 131 etc. ..since I have 4 gallons of 131 right here...:)

I am, not sw here :) .....ARX does work and very nicely too but the way it is marketed (limited) , and other things, it will have a very hard time selling to the general public. Most users do not want to go online and read forums to see what works. They want to see it is retail stores, dealers, tv etc. Sad, but true.

It is sludge for sure, right after I treated my RX300 with Auto-RX. I used the same Auto-RX treatment on my mom's 98 Accord. For 120K, she used cheap dino bulk oil and never a single drop of fuel or oil additive. Yet when I cut open the oil filter after 1500 miles of Auto-RX, nothing but clean oil filter media. If Auto-RX were to clean carbon build-up, her car would be the perfect candidate.

I am with you on how ARX is marketed, most people can't separate products with the way they are marketed. Many hate Amsoil for its MLM marketing scheme, even though Amsoil makes great oil.

I was skeptical about ARX in the beginning but decided to give it a try after reading independent owners' feedbacks. ARX's $ back warranty helps too.

Why 6K? Because that is the TBN limit of M1 5w30 posted at BITOG, if you can find me a UOA of dino that last 5K on 1mz-fe or 3mz-fe that has sufficient TBN, I would be the first to extend OCI. But like you, I am no dino fan.

Now I hope GC + ARX will give me longer OCI than 6K, but until I have done an UOA, I won't do so since I have no desire to have sludge build-up again. BITOG does not have many GC UOAs for 1mz-fe, none > 6K, there is one UOA with no TBN. Benchmarking of my GC+ARX will compare wear metals with comparable oil miles.

I will post back my finding in couple month, why don't you post back yours so findings can be shared with the rest?

I run SeaFoam in mine, and I like the results so far. Come time for an oi change, I drop half a can in the oil and the other half in the gas. I know the stuff works wonders, I've used it in my other engines and vehicles when they get boggy.

Based on this topic and some research, I ordered some Auto-RX last night and now it's on its way to me and soon to be in my RX. I'll update my results.

Please update the forum what you experienced. Positive or negative. If you have picture or compression rating before and after, that would be super.

Speaking of research, actually Auto-RX was discussed in the past in this thread. I think doubting is OK but making a blanket statement on any additive as "miracle pill" w/o doing any research does not not provide much value. FWIW, "Search" function is a great tool, so is Google.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...28530&st=20

Sorry, you are right. I should have provided a little more info than just being a naysayer. I don't take this product seriously, it's like gas mileage pills and JC Whitney fire injector plugs, and didn't want to take more time than quickly entering a on liner on the thread. But I will try to rectify that.

Even though it's only $20 a bottle, as you said, why would anyone risk putting this stuff in your engine? Spend your $20 on something without risk of doing harm. Lexus is already providing you with an 8 Year unlimited mileage warranty for sludge. If for some reason you suspect your RX was neglected causing sludge, pull a valve cover and check. Don't look for a miracle cure and make a scammer rich in the process. Consumer Reports in their 2006 Annual Auto Issue lists engine and transmission flushes under mechanic rip-offs.

I really didn't want to be drug back into this thread, but lumping AutoRx into the same category as all the other snakeoil out there with a waive of the hand is irresponsible. I appreciate and encourage healthy skepticism, but if you want to responsibly criticize a product, then take some time to google for evidence to back up your position, otherwise you are just lowering the signal to noise ratio. If all you wanted to express was caution, then say so without the hyperbolic comparisons to gas mileage pills.

tmhtmh has done some research and I have provided some links on the first page of this thread for further reading at a very well respected oil analysis website. I won't speak for tmhtmh, but I've concluded that it's a good product based on both my research and my own personal use in a sludgy 1.8t Passat. If you have evidence to the contrary, then I'd like to hear it -- I'm willing to admit when I'm wrong and I'd certainly rather be proven wrong (even publicly), rather than to use a bad product on my cars or spread bad information.

While I'm on rant mode, let me also point out that it's irresponsible for others participating in this thread to diagnose the sludge situation in tmhtmh's car with the information that we have available. tmhtmh purchased the car used and is concerned about sludge. I don't blame him given the history of this model. Pointing out that a well maintained Corolla motor or even a well maintained RX300 motor did not have sludge is less than worthless, it's potentially misleading.

The best advice I've seen here has been from RXinNC who pointed out that tmhtmh should take advantage of a free sludge inspection from the dealership. See, that's good advice because it enlightens the discussion rather than clouding it (like I'm probably doing now -- the irony is not lost on me).

To recap, I don't know if tmhtmh should use AutoRx, but I will say that based on my research and experience it is a good, safe product and if anyone has information to the contrary, I'd love to hear it.

Rant mode off -- sorry for wasting bandwidth, I usually know better.

Ben

It is sludge for sure, right after I treated my RX300 with Auto-RX. I used the same Auto-RX treatment on my mom's 98 Accord. For 120K, she used cheap dino bulk oil and never a single drop of fuel or oil additive. Yet when I cut open the oil filter after 1500 miles of Auto-RX, nothing but clean oil filter media. If Auto-RX were to clean carbon build-up, her car would be the perfect candidate.

I am with you on how ARX is marketed, most people can't separate products with the way they are marketed. Many hate Amsoil for its MLM marketing scheme, even though Amsoil makes great oil.

I was skeptical about ARX in the beginning but decided to give it a try after reading independent owners' feedbacks. ARX's $ back warranty helps too.

Why 6K? Because that is the TBN limit of M1 5w30 posted at BITOG, if you can find me a UOA of dino that last 5K on 1mz-fe or 3mz-fe that has sufficient TBN, I would be the first to extend OCI. But like you, I am no dino fan.

Now I hope GC + ARX will give me longer OCI than 6K, but until I have done an UOA, I won't do so since I have no desire to have sludge build-up again. BITOG does not have many GC UOAs for 1mz-fe, none > 6K, there is one UOA with no TBN. Benchmarking of my GC+ARX will compare wear metals with comparable oil miles.

I will post back my finding in couple month, why don't you post back yours so findings can be shared with the rest?

GC...as in German Castrol? The green stuff? Where are you still able to find this stuff?

GC...as in German Castrol? The green stuff? Where are you still able to find this stuff?

Yes, you can buy it at Autozone, gold is now the replacement for green but the performance is equally good.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/sho...ge=0#Post711450

Napa Auto Parts may also be able to special order for you, but you need to ask.

Okay, I got two bottles of ARX and I had enough remaining mileage before my next oil change to put in a bottle. Poured in 10 oz. (not the full bottle of 12 oz.) as per the directions for engine oil capacity and drove it for about 30 miles today. I'm sure it's too soon to notice anything, so, 1470 miles to go...

• 1 month later...

The only thing that bothers me about Auto Rx is some of the responses that the owner of the AutoRx company has made to people when they question or complain about his product. There was a guy on BITOG who used AutoRx and his engine started leaking right afterwards. He complained and was pounced on by several members and was told by the owner of the company "your engine had leaks anyway". I won't use the product because after witnessing that exchange it is clear the AutoRx company will not stand behind any damage done by the product.