Aftermarket Winshield Replacement?

Help, I need some advice with my 06 IS350. I took a rock in the windshield the other day. The crack is too big for a repair, so I need to replace it. I have insurance for this, but I think they want to replace it with an aftermarket winshield. The lexus dealer said the auto wipers may not work with the cheaper glass. They also mentioned the outside wind noise may be louder than normal. The dealer wants $1600.00 to replace it. I know if push comes to shove, I can get the insurance co. to pay the extra $$. Unfortunately, I live in Phoenix and chipped windows are routine. This is my 1st replacement with the IS, but not my last. As we all know, the more money you cost the insurance co, the more its going to cost us down the road. If the cheap glass works, I'll go with that. Has anyone replaced their 06 IS windshield with aftermarket glass. If so, what did you think? Thanks in advance for any help.

Daysoff

Help, I need some advice with my 06 IS350. I took a rock in the windshield the other day. The crack is too big for a repair, so I need to replace it. I have insurance for this, but I think they want to replace it with an aftermarket winshield. The lexus dealer said the auto wipers may not work with the cheaper glass. They also mentioned the outside wind noise may be louder than normal. The dealer wants $1600.00 to replace it. I know if push comes to shove, I can get the insurance co. to pay the extra $$. Unfortunately, I live in Phoenix and chipped windows are routine. This is my 1st replacement with the IS, but not my last. As we all know, the more money you cost the insurance co, the more its going to cost us down the road. If the cheap glass works, I'll go with that. Has anyone replaced their 06 IS windshield with aftermarket glass. If so, what did you think? Thanks in advance for any help.

Daysoff

My first week of owning my last car, I got a rock chip in the window. Luckily, I was able to fix it, but it stayed there the entire 35k miles that I had it. A good fix, ey?? lol. Anyways, I think you've been given wrong info. I was told just last week by a dealer that it would cost roughly $1,000 to change out the windshield, which comports to what they told me when I originally got the chip in the window, about a year and a half ago. I wasn't told anything about that wipers working with the cheaper glass. I have looked a few times for an aftermarket one, and I think it was about $400 was the charge. I think I'd check another dealer, just to make sure. Good luck!

Sure they want to replace it with aftermarket glass, but if you specify OEM they cannot by law deny you or penalize you for it as long as the car is less than 7 years old. If you want OEM, specify OEM.

Personally? I would never put anything but an OEM windshield in one of my cars. I'd rather leave the cracked one in. In my experience the aftermarket glass just has too many variables as far as quality and consistency.

An OEM windshield for the IS will easily cost you a grand. I think just the glass is $700-800.

• 1 month later...

One of the guys I work with has a Jeep Grand Cherokee. He had his windshield replaced and the rain sensing wipers would not work. The glass company had to special order the windshield through the Jeep dealer and replaced the replacement. The rain sensing worked OK after that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just had the windshield replaced on my IS350. I went through the insurance company which recommended a glass company which ordered the glass directly from Lexus. I had no problems. You will need factory glass for the automatic rain sensing wipers.