How Do You Increase Gas Milege....? Any Expert..?

samdols

My 95 ES300 has 17 MPG... I think it's getting worse... I need you expert to solve the problem...!

I bought this used a couple of weeks. This runs smoothly and so nicely... but I don't know what the problem really is...

Maybe it is just too old....

Help me out here

how do you drive, because i have a 94 ES300, which is supposed to get 18 and 24. But it all depends on how you drive. I tested my gas mileage by filling the tank, and not going over 2500 rpm, well, you can go over a little. I ended up with almost 22 mpg

how do you drive, because i have a 94 ES300, which is supposed to get 18 and 24. But it all depends on how you drive. I tested my gas mileage by filling the tank, and not going over 2500 rpm, well, you can go over a little. I ended up with almost 22 mpg

Wow that's a lot... I'll try 2500rpm thing this time.... Thanks...!

My 95 ES300 has 17 MPG... I think it's getting worse... I need you expert to solve the problem...!

I bought this used a couple of weeks. This runs smoothly and so nicely... but I don't know what the problem really is...

Help me out here

when was the last time you:

• had a major tune up?
  • changed your air filter
  • changed your PCV valve?
  • changed your spark plugs and/or wires?
  • cleaned your throttle body?
  • checked your AF and O2 sensors, you could have a lazy one?

Keep in mind too, that right now we are on winter forumlation for gasoline. Winter formulation will result in a slight mpg loss.

steviej

Help me out here

Agree something is wrong. My '95 @ 245,000 miles gets 25-27 with mostly (65+ mph) highway driving. I check it at every fill up. Lower figure if more in-town driving. H-rated tires inflated to 34 psi front, 32 rear gives 2-3 mpg better economy and no appreciable handling difference at ordinary speeds, over the original V-rated ones at 26 psi.

Agree something is wrong. My '95 @ 245,000 miles gets 25-27 with mostly (65+ mph) highway driving. I check it at every fill up. Lower figure if more in-town driving. H-rated tires inflated to 34 psi front, 32 rear gives 2-3 mpg better economy and no appreciable handling difference at ordinary speeds, over the original V-rated ones at 26 psi.

Hello folks, been quiet for awhile here on the boards.

I've cleaned the MAF, TB, done Seafoam a few times, got the right tire pressure, drive very easy in the city, have replaced an O2 sensor (one of the two in engine), have no CEL on, and still my '94 gets like 14 mpg city regularly.

I have not yet checked the injectors to see if one is stuck open and I have not changed the spark plugs. I doubt they've been changed for many years. Car runs very smoothly with no noticeable issues except the massive gas consumption.

Don't have enough spare $$ to do both...any thoughts on what to tackle first...the injectors or the plugs? I am inclined to go with the plugs since it will be cheaper. But could really dirty plugs make THAT much of a difference in fuel efficiency?

Any advice is appreciated.

14 is excessively low. I'd go after the spark plugs first... and your intake/airfilter/etc. Make sure nothing is obstructing your air intake flow. Once you've made sure you've got a good, clean filter and nothing is blocking your air intake, go after those plugs.

Here's a nice site (albeit for a motorcycle, but plug conditions exhibit similar conditions and effects) with pictorals of spark plug conditions and what they mean for the engine. http://roadstarclinic.com/content/view/70/127/ You may just have weak spark, therefore leading to incomplete combustion and poor gas mileage.

Also, you can do a compression check on each cylinder (by !Removed! in a compression gauge in each spark plug hole, one at a time of course, and cranking over the engine a couple times). If you've got a low cylinder (or plural), that could lead to incomplete combustion, too.

your egr may be sticky also, it needs to be removed to be cleaned properly.

Thanks all. Once the weather warms up a bit I'll get those plugs changed. Considered doing it myself but decided I was too much of an incompetent to tackle it. Cleaning the EGR however is something I can handle with my usual spring clean of the TB, etc...

Thanks again. Must get above 14mpg of the wife will make me drive the Civic. Nooooooooooo!

i still think it's the injectors.

plugs will cause a weak fire, or misfire, but won't grossly increase fuel consumption.

Hey Toys...I know you do and still appreciate all the advice I've received from you and the other experts here.

I'm going to start with the plugs because it costs less and I know they need to be replaced anyway. Then if nothing I'll look into the injectors. I do agree, 14mpg means there is really something not right going on in there. It's a big engine and an old car...but it's not a Hummer.