1990 Lexus Ls400 Battery

bencho

Hi,

I'm looking to replace the battery in my Lex. I bought it like 4th hand and recently in the cold weather, it doesnt start very well and dies unexpectedly. I had a new alternator put in 6 months ago so that cant be the problem. Bought one of those cig lighter battery meters and when driving, it stays normal, showing charge meter working fine, but while idle, with lights on & stereo etc the battery just dies in minutes. It sounds like time for a new battery right?? The once currently in there is a DieHard International 31227. I tried looking online and found nothing for it.. so what battery will fit? Sorry, I'm not very knowledgeable about cars..

Thanks.

I got one at Wal-Mart that had a 5 year replacement and total of 96 monts for $65.00. What I like about Wal-mart is there is one everywhere and they relpace items no questions asked. The battery that I got was smaller than the stock battery. But everything bolted right up.

yes, there is a certain battery type you will need. If you go to Wal-Mart they have catalogs in the battery department that will tell you the type of battery to get. If you go to Kragen the guys at the parts counter will pull you the one you need.

I used to buy my batteries at Kragen, but they always die before the warranties end. And when coming back buying new ones, they gave me some credit but only after prorating .... So I ended up paying more than buying from Walmart.

I think Walmart batteries last longer.

I've even tried Costco with almost the same price range. But their business hours are not as good as Walmart stores' which open very early in AM and don't close until 11PM at some locations.

If I think the car's electrical system is OK, then I just replace the battery at the first symptom of weakness in its performance.

Overnite recharging with a recharger, or automatic recharger, didn't help to prolong its life for more than 1 week. It's not worth the trouble to me.

I had a new alternator put in 6 months ago so that cant be the problem. Bought one of those cig lighter battery meters and when driving, it stays normal, showing charge meter working fine, but while idle, with lights on & stereo etc the battery just dies in minutes. It sounds like time for a new battery right??

You should have your charging system rechecked. With the car running the alternator should provide sufficient supply even at idle. The battery's purpose is limited to engine startup and the use of accessories when the engine is not running.