Radio Display

My Lexus Premium Sound AMFM Cassette (with CD Changer in Glovebox) displays fine for the first 5-10 minutes of operation. Gradually some of the pixels start to gray out or dissappear. Has anyone else seen this problem? Is this more likely a bulb issue, a ribbon cable connector, or a bad LCD panel? If so, is it hard to get to to and to fix this problem?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed for this do-it-yourselfer.

To make it clearer, it's the LCD panel that's bad. If you get a new unit, you can take the LCD panel out of the new unit and swap them, but it's just as easy to swap the whole head unit.

Also, taking the head unit out is tricky, but easy when you know how. There's detailed instructions (with pictures) on the LOC board somewhere for removing it.

Good luck,

Jimi :cheers:

• 4 months later...
To make it clearer, it's the LCD panel that's bad.  If you get a new unit, you can take the LCD panel out of the new unit and swap them, but it's just as easy to swap the whole head unit.

Also, taking the head unit out is tricky, but easy when you know how.  There's detailed instructions (with pictures) on the LOC board somewhere for removing it.

Good luck,

Jimi  :cheers:

If I get a new (used) Lexus head unit, won't I run into the bad display problem again soon. Is there a way to just purchase and replace the LCD with a brand new LCD Panel? Anyone know where to get a new LCD Panel? If I need to cannibalize an LCD panel from another Lexus head unit are they all the same. Will the LCD panel from and Lexus head unit fit the head unit in my 97 ES300?

Thanks,

John

• 1 month later...

I just got a replacement LCD display from David at:

jill allen [dabaysidejill01@worldnet.att.net]

for $125. It came with complete instructions for removing the head unit.

I was quoted $270 to replace the LCD from a radio repair shop. They also quoted $60 to replace if I provide the parts. The instructions seem simple, but I don't have the right tool to pop out the AC vent. I plan on having the repair shop do the repair.