Braking Distance On Ls460

The magazines reports, some of which are based on testing preproduction cars, seem to be not very good on the braking. My experience after owning and driving a LS 460L touring edition for over 3 months now is that the brakes are great. I have no complaints in this or any other regard. Best to test drive yourself and draw your own conclusions based on your own experience.

The car magazines could easily put an end to this nonsense by testing with and without ABS enabled and publish the results. Software/firmware engineers are now determining how quickly you stop vs how much directional control you need while stopping. That information would be of help in determining if the ABS activity is beyond that needed to stop as quickly as could an experienced driver on the brakes and with good/equal braking at all four.

Additionally it is now well known that on some surfaces ABS is detrimental to stopping most quickly. There are also some new tire formulations on the market that will stop quicker with lockup than not, at least on some modern day dry surfaces.

The best solution would be to not allow ABS activation unless loss of directional control is threatened as detected by VSC.

• 3 weeks later...

So this LS460 came into my friends shop in need of some body work a.s.a.p. no questions asked. The odometer read 14456. The owner must drive a lot cause the car was only a few months old. Anyway after he left I took the car for a few spins and the stopping distances weren't horrible... but i think my 98 chevy blazer stops in fewer feet.... almost 190 feet from 70.. then again this guys tires weren't exactly fresh but at least the brakes were well broken in... no matter i still wish i had that car.

I don't think I would bring any car into the body shop you mention. The only people who would drive my auto in a repair shop would be the mechs who work on the car !

My 460 has god stopping distances. Not as good as my 530IT Bimmer, but nonetheless pretty fair.

When you're employed as a street pharmacist and hit another car and "dipped" from the scene, sometimes you need a body shop like the on I hang out in. especially when you know some of the crew will hang around after hours and get your work done right and fast.. not all his customers are like that but when someone is paying you in cash for work thats almost 100% profit... why not... besides i asked him if i could test drive the car... last thing i'd want to do is *BLEEP* off someone like that.

• 2 months later...
I just read somewhere that the braking distance of the new LS460 is not good. It was rated among the worse?

Is it true?

I do not have any objective tests, but I can give you a subjective experience. I tried the LS 460 with the old Turanza tires and thought that they were poor handling and rough. I had the dealer change the tires on my new LS to Bridgestorone Turanza with Serenity and they are much, much better. The handling is great, the ride is very smooth and the braking seems much better.

David

I had the dealer change the tires on my new LS to Bridgestorone Turanza with Serenity and they are much, much better. The handling is great, the ride is very smooth and the braking seems much better.

David

I heard about this tire; that's the one that is injected with a male hormone...

• 14 years later...

I also read a review that indicated that the stopping distance was unacceptable. I have a 2012 LS460L.  I totally agree. I hit a deer a few weeks ago and the poor braking made  it seem like I was stopping in slow motion. The brakes also make a grinding noise when you stop and then lift your foot off the break or press down on the brake while waiting at a stoplight. I took the car to my Lexus dealer and they said the brakes were “fine”. I am looking into getting a completely new set of brakes. Does anyone have any suggestions?