Squeeking That Stops When I Apply The Brakes

Like the title said, I replaced the front rotors and brake pads and now I get a mid-to-faint high pitch squeeking when the cars going about 10 mph. It stops as soon as I touch the brakes. As soon as I let off, it comes back (if I'm going slow enough). I don't hear it at speeds > 20 mph. I don't know if that's because the wind and road noise drown it out, or if it stops.

The fact that it quits when I hit the brakes makes me think they're not releasing like they should, but I'm just guessing. Please help, it incredibly annoying.

Nate

Like the title said, I replaced the front rotors and brake pads and now I get a mid-to-faint high pitch squeeking when the cars going about 10 mph. It stops as soon as I touch the brakes. As soon as I let off, it comes back (if I'm going slow enough). I don't hear it at speeds > 20 mph. I don't know if that's because the wind and road noise drown it out, or if it stops.

The fact that it quits when I hit the brakes makes me think they're not releasing like they should, but I'm just guessing. Please help, it incredibly annoying.

Nate

Have you checked the rear rotors pads? It could either be the rear wear indicators or the front wear indictaors are bent too much and touching the rotor.

I recently had my brakes serviced at a local Lexus dealer which included new pads and rotor machining. I too heard squeaking as you described. I took it back in and they told me the applied some anti-squeak snake oil to the brakes - the squeak is gone now. What they probably did was take the car out on the highway, got it up to 120 or so, then slammed on the brakes to break in the pads and removed and excess pad material that may have been rubbing on the rotor in a high spot.

The pads are not seated properly and the leading edge is rubbing against the rotors causing a high pitched squeel.

Make sure they are seated and add anit squeel to the back of the pads which is basically a high temp glue which can flex slightly to keep the pads seated straight.

• 1 year later...

I have the same issue. I think it is rear break pads and rotors. Just had fronts replaced and turned rotors. Those clips are annoying. I will confirm whether it is rear pads and rotors or clips up front. Same exact issue you described.