Dual Diagnosis (front End Cluck)

miamistyle

I just bought a '96 LS400 with 113k after a lot of research on this forum. I love the car to death. Before purchaisng I brought it to my local dealership for an inspection. Cost me $150, but well worth the piece of mind. I told them there was a clunking sound when going over small bumps at low speed and when braking hard.

The dealership said control arms. I don't know if they went by my description of the problem or if they tested or inspected anything. I took it to a local independent Lexus shop and explained, he slammed the brakes and it clunked. He said strut rods.

I don't think either one visually inspected anything. From my research here, it sounds like strut rods but I want to make sure I'm not just throwing money at it and hoping for a fix.

Any suggestions?

Just curious, but are you replacing the struts/shocks at the same time? Either way, it would be good if you could let us know the cost involved in relation to what you end up having done.

Thanks.

Shocks and the rest of the suspension checked out OK, so doing just strut rods only.

I started out with my indi Lexus shop the right way. I told him I would supply the OEM parts beacuse I have a great hook up on OEM parts. I then told him that I would rather give him the business if he could match if not no big deal. Now he basically matches or comes close enough to the prices I tell him which earns my business everytime.

Anyways 2 strut rods at lexusonlineparts = $95. From him $104 each. So $208 + 120 labor = $328. Not too bad I think!

I had him look at the entire front end to see if anything else is needed and he said everything looks good. He said the strut rods will make a world of difference and tighten it right back up. I'll let you know how it feels tomorrow night when it's done.

I have a 95LS that has a clunk the first time I apply the brakes going forward if the previous time the brake was applied in reverse. After the first stop going forward it does not clunk again until you have backed up and use the brakes in reverse. I have never really tried to isolate the noise and just gotten used to it. Maybe I have the same problem as you. Please post the results of your repair. Thanks

I have a 95LS that has a clunk the first time I apply the brakes going forward if the previous time the brake was applied in reverse. After the first stop going forward it does not clunk again until you have backed up and use the brakes in reverse. I have never really tried to isolate the noise and just gotten used to it. Maybe I have the same problem as you. Please post the results of your repair. Thanks

Wow, that sounds strange, maybe someone will chime in on that one. I will definitely post my results, but it doesn't sound like the same issue. Does your car clunk over bumps or if you slam on the brakes besides after the reverse thing?

Keep the old strut rods, next time they break you only have to replace the inside bushing on them. Second the lower control arm also has a bushing that is the part that goes bad at the rubber bushing, you replace that and it should be good again. CPR

I just bought a '96 LS400 with 113k after a lot of research on this forum. I love the car to death. Before purchaisng I brought it to my local dealership for an inspection. Cost me $150, but well worth the piece of mind. I told them there was a clunking sound when going over small bumps at low speed and when braking hard.

The dealership said control arms. I don't know if they went by my description of the problem or if they tested or inspected anything. I took it to a local independent Lexus shop and explained, he slammed the brakes and it clunked. He said strut rods.

I don't think either one visually inspected anything. From my research here, it sounds like strut rods but I want to make sure I'm not just throwing money at it and hoping for a fix.

Any suggestions?

It's not a clunk, but more of a metal on metal CLANK, and only the 1st time you apply your brakes in the direction you are going........

That is your brake pads shifting back and forth in your caliper. My guess is that you have after market pads that do not have the proper shim and fitment kits. I went through this extensively myself last year. Went and bought a set of autozones, they clanked....went and bought some ceramics....clanked....finally ordered oem, shim kits and fitment kits all around.....no more clanks.

That is your brake pads shifting back and forth in your caliper. My guess is that you have after market pads that do not have the proper shim and fitment kits. I went through this extensively myself last year. Went and bought a set of autozones, they clanked....went and bought some ceramics....clanked....finally ordered oem, shim kits and fitment kits all around.....no more clanks.

Thats what I thought might be the cause. Your right, the front pads were replaced with non oem's before I purchased the car. I will live with it till time for new pads and get oem's then. Thanks

OK got the new strut rods in today, car is like brand new! I had my indi mech give me the old strut rods so I can take some pics and share with you all later what they look like when they detoriate.

$328 OEM parts and labor + tax. By far the most noticebale improvement I've done so far.

I've had the forward / reverse brake clunk/clink/pop too, and yes, it's because the pads are shifting back and forth. But it's not limited to aftermarket. My original pads did it, but I solved it by replacing the shims and greasing the shims and the backs of the pads (NEVER the face of the pad...). The grease slows down the pad shift from front to back / back to front. I used a very small amount of brake grease that I bought at a auto parts store (not regular grease...too much heat in there). Sticky brake spray doesn't work. Apparently there's a Toyo/Lexus part number 08887-80609 that will do the job too.

There is a document on Techinfo that explains how to do it in detail. If you haven't used techinfo (techinfo.toyota.com), you can get a one-day subscription for ten bucks and you'll have a blast looking up everything you want to know.

Anyways 2 strut rods at lexusonlineparts = $95. From him $104 each. So $208 + 120 labor = $328. Not too bad I think!

These are the strut bushings/cushions that you replaced? I can't seem to find them at $95. The cheapest I can find is Park Place for $120.

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

Nevermind, my mistake, I see you have a 1996.

These are the strut bushings/cushions that you replaced? I can't seem to find them at $95. The cheapest I can find is Park Place for $120.

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

Nevermind, my mistake, I see you have a 1996.

Check lexuspartsonline.com

I don't know if this link will work but for the '90 their like $65 bucks for the whole strut rod.

Here's the link if it works: http://www.lexuspartsonline.com/index2.htm...p;siteid=214281

Miamistyle:

Thanks for the follow-up post with cost and results. This kind of information is good for all of us to have, as we will share the common problems.

Don't mention it, I'm glad to atleast contribute since I get so much from here.