Generally Who Can Own A Lexus For Long Run?

sheab

just an general discusion ... what you guys think of lexus? in my openion lexus is for someone who have alot money i mean for someone who is rich + the parts of lexus is way too expensive for young ppl and student doooooooo yo guys agree? anything gose wrong with the car there you go.. thats it the mechanic will chop you till you beg lol ....its seem to me just too expensive generallly ... sooooooooooooo please leave ur comments on how you feel about lexus as second heand? .... thanks !.. :cheers:

may seem expensive when have to get something done to it but they (from what ive seen) have been reliable enough that in actual cost it really doesnt make much differance unless your bad at saving.... in which case yes the upfront of it seems harsh...

watch out for tires tho.... they get you .... lmao

I guess it depends.

When something goes wrong it can get expensive fast.

Luckily, major things rarely go wrong.

If you're a do it yourselfer and aren't in a huge hurry, the

labor costs go down a lot.

An LX is good to 250K - 300K miles with decent maintenance.

(Tune ups, timing belt, brakes, etc.)

If you have a bit of up-front cash to buy it, there's no

car payments, nor do you need to buy full coverage insurance.

(Saves a few hundred/month).

I look at it like this, my car is a 91 LS400 that was around $35-38K new. We got it new! Over the years we've spent around $15K including maintenance, tires, struts, timing belt, replacement parts. The car still drives GREAT! So call it $50K divided by 16 years = $3125 per year without fuel. A Chevy or Ford can't touch that! The look and drivablility of these cars in timeless. People don't believe me when I tell them the car is 16 years old. Now, that being said the parts can be expensive and people will automatically try and tack on an extra 15% because it says Lexus. 309,000 miles and still going strong!

I got my 91 used in 2003, I have put over 140k on it. I only paid $5,500.00 for the car. I replaced the air cond. compressor and the timing belt. With 263K on it I have to start looking for another one for another one that I can buy for 7 grand and drive for 3 years and do the same all over again.

Got mine in December 2004 for $16000.00. Cost about $2000.00 for new parts for it to pass inspection like new tie rods, motor mounts, front strut rod. Total $18000.00. Vehicle had 82,000 miles. Changed timing belt & Serp. and new master key at 110,000 miles $1300.00 dollars. New starter $835.00. Need a new Throttle Body but it stills runs good so I'll replace that later. I now have about 150000 miles on her. I brought a Ford Probe brand new in 1995 for $16000.00 and had to pay for the cars value twice in maintenance issues in my opinion. And when something went wrong with that Ford, it had to be towed everytime because it just would not drive or start. I bought a 1992 Camry in 2000' with 92,000 miles on it for $3000.00 drove it until my wife had an accident at 210,000 miles. Change the radiator for $200.00 because the previous owner had a front end collision which caused a slit in the top cover. 118,000 miles, oh yeah. I had to get a Lexus. That Ford Probe has about 120,000 miles on it in my father-in-law back yard with a fuel leak somewhere, I gave it to him because he wanted it cause it looked nice. Ford makes nice looking vehicles, that's about it. Fix Or Repair Daily, Found On Road Dead.

I got my 1992 LS400 for $4000, and put about $1500 into suspension, tires, alignment, and some minor stuff. This is the cheapest, oldest, and best car I have ever owned. I have been through several GMs, and my dad bought Fords and Chryslers for decades. Now we both drive toyotas. Through tribulation we gravitate toward mechanical longevity.

I think we both got extremely tired of fixing those stupid things.

At 190K, this thing starts and runs like its new after sitting in 0 degrees all weekend. There's a common belief in this country that cars are shot at that mileage, but this old lexus doesn't seem to speak english.

If Freudian id-level urges dominate the purchasing process, get the Suburban to affirm masculinity. If not, buy the well-maintained lexus....emphasis on well-maintained. They are a bargain.

I got mine a year ago, like 2000.00 in parts and maintenance that car runs great! I love it so much that I have a Nissan Murano 2003 which I bought new and do not like to drive. If I could, the Lexus would be the only one I would drive. If I had waited I could had bought an LS 430 2001 18,000 miles for 29,000, which was a great deal.

CPR

I bought my '96 LS400 one year ago for $10,000 Canadian on the road price. Maintenance has been oil changes only. It has run close to 170,000 km.

This car is very comfortable, quiet and smooth. The acceleration at highway speeds is a huge temptation and requires self control. Its a lovely car and makes long journeys so much nicer.

I got my 1996 Lexus back in September. This car is the best vehicle I've ever owned. I'm figuring this one will last me about 10 years and then I'll get another one.

The acceleration is definitely a temptation. You can hit 90-100 mph in these cars and not realize you're going that fast.

I find it amazing here that we you look at the polls about the model years that most people have that more folks are driving gen 1 and 2. That's truly a testament to the durability of these cars.

Well first off -

1) Lexus's run strong and won't break down as much as let's say American made vehicles...Especially when comparing older model to older model..

2) Do like I did and learn how to do the work yourself. Like routine maintenance to prevent breakdowns from occuring.... This and other forums give you the knowledge and know how to do every repair on your own and save big money....

3) What car could you get used that would last longer then a used Lexus in good shape? Maybe a Toyota Camry or something....

My 1992 SC400 has broken down only once and that was from the stock battery blowing up upon start one day many years ago and that's it....It's been sooooo reliable... I also pretty much doubled the stock power output too.... Well the tranny did blow recently but that was my own fault....No tranny cooler and 475 ft pounds of torque was the culprit...

lexus is way too expensive for young ppl and student doooooooo yo guys agree?

First off, if you are asking the question then obviously you are financially not ready. If you have been around the forum than you might be familiar with the bottom thread:

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=34969

In that thread people have recommended great suggestions, also answers to your original questions can be found their as well.

Asking people on the forum about what they think about their cars is not going to answer your question. Any upscale import is going to cost you to upkeep, you need to analyze your financial plan and see if owning and maintaining such a car is within your means.

I got my 91 used in 2003, I have put over 140k on it. I only paid $5,500.00 for the car. I replaced the air cond. compressor and the timing belt. With 263K on it I have to start looking for another one for another one that I can buy for 7 grand and drive for 3 years and do the same all over again.

I have one with 170,000 on the clock that you can have for $4000.00 :P

Andy

Lexus / toyota has been a very reliable vehicle for me. this is my third lexus vehicle. had a 93 ES300 brand new, kept it for 3 years and sold it with only 15k miles on it. my second Lexus was a 92 LS 400 used with 158K miles on it. purchased for $5K and drove it for 2 years, only needed a new battery and new tires. trade it in for a 2000 LS 400. this current vehicle had minor problems, new battery and trottle body unit, and also new bulbs for brake lights. with extented warranty, I had cover the cost of my trottle body unit which occur 5 month after I purchased this vehicle. both LS400 runs great. I used to purchase Large american made vehicles, but they break down after 20k miles, transmission burned up, lousy customer services from dealership :chairshot: I know, some time lexus dealership can be a pain, but at most, they do try to please you. You don't have to buy brand new Lexus, just find a good clean used Lexus, and it will look brand new to other people. :)

just an general discusion ... what you guys think of lexus? in my openion lexus is for someone who have alot money i mean for someone who is rich + the parts of lexus is way too expensive for young ppl and student doooooooo yo guys agree? anything gose wrong with the car there you go.. thats it the mechanic will chop you till you beg lol ....its seem to me just too expensive generallly ... sooooooooooooo please leave ur comments on how you feel about lexus as second heand? .... thanks !..:cheers:

Sheab,

Im a Junior at Vanderbilt University. Im 20. My 98 GS300 is my second car, the first that I purchased myself. Shortly after purchase this past summer, I crashed into a tree, destroying my front passenger side suspension and not to mention the fender, all the while under-insured.

To say the least, I was devastated, but surprisingly, I managed to get everything fixed back to specification on a struggling undergrad's budget by January of this year. As far as regular maintenance, I really don't feel like it's too much of a burden. Whenever, I feel like the cost of the dealer's overpriced minor maintenance is too much I just do a little self educating and see what I can do myself.

In summary, I think that if I ( the 20yr old, impoverished.lol. , student) can do it, then a fully employed adult should be able to hold things down pretty well ♥♥♥ I hope that helps a lil.

Student loans to help maintain your cars needs????

Nothing like going into debt to accomodate your hobbies....Adults use equity lines, is there really a difference?

Haha. No, student loans don't keep the tank full. LMAO. I have no student loans....But i do see the parallel :)

Student loans to help maintain your cars needs????

Nothing like going into debt to accomodate your hobbies....Adults use equity lines, is there really a difference?

Haha. No, student loans don't keep the tank full. LMAO. I have no student loans....But i do see the parallel :)

Off topic...

Good win yesterday for the Commodores :cheers:

all rite lexus is best ............. but still expensive no matter what.. its obious that any engine or mechanical parts can go down on any brand cars but one time lexus problem cost 3 times as nissan brand does or toyota camery and avalon at reguler shop ..lexus u have to take it to dealer ..becus its the best.. you dont wanna mess it up by taking it to local shop you scared cuz you put alot of money buying it .. i hope ou guys know what i mean .. anyways its just an openion no hard feeling .. thank you all and keep it up .......... good luck with our lovely lexus

all rite lexus is best ............. but still expensive no matter what.. its obious that any engine or mechanical parts can go down on any brand cars but one time lexus problem cost 3 times as nissan brand does or toyota camery and avalon at reguler shop ..lexus u have to take it to dealer ..becus its the best.. you dont wanna mess it up by taking it to local shop you scared cuz you put alot of money buying it .. i hope ou guys know what i mean .. anyways its just an openion no hard feeling .. thank you all and keep it up .......... good luck with our lovely lexus

I take mine to Midas in Glen Burnie, Maryland and they're just as good or better than the dealer. Of course you would want to purchase your parts first to get the savings from the labor. What I'm saying is that I drive a lot of miles, and seemed like every couple of thousand of miles driving my Ford Probe it was another issue after issue after issue. Stuff you'd think wouldn't happen until you reach 100,000 miles. Transmission going up on a 5 speed manual, c'mon. Replace clutch 3 times. I never had to replace my clutch on my 1991 Acura Legend, athough it is broke down right now because the computer burned out and I can't seem to find a replacement online. Everyone has a replacement for a 1991 automatic transmission computer, none for the manual transmission. But my point is I paid the Acura off well before I even experienced a problem. My Ford didn't make it 11000 miles before it started chokin'.

You don't need to take a Lexus to the dealer. Thats one of the beautiful things about a Lexus vs a BMW or Mercedes, really anybody can work on them. Like others have said, by the parts wholesale and have a good independent shop do the work. No problem at all.

In fact, I think you get better REPAIR quality at independent shops than the dealers. Dealers do a lot of warranty work and maintenance on new cars, when it comes to diagnosing and repairing problems with older cars the independent mechanics have more experience.

guesss what buying the parts at whole sale price is not worth ... becuase

WHEN you buy parts from els where they rip you off with the labor... you cant tell them you gonna pay em by hourly .. then they will take extra hour to fix then the normal hour it would take and they tell you flat there they rip you offf .. seem like you didnt seen ny brooklyn tec lol

guesss what buying the parts at whole sale price is not worth ... becuase

WHEN you buy parts from els where they rip you off with the labor... you cant tell them you gonna pay em by hourly .. then they will take extra hour to fix then the normal hour it would take and they tell you flat there they rip you offf .. seem like you didnt seen ny brooklyn tec lol

If this is the case then you need to find a better mechanic.