Engine Pings

amanda

well, i am just a fountain of query. i also noticed yesterday that engine (i think) makes a soft "ting-ting-ting" sort of noise after i park and turn off ignition. this is so even if i've driven less than a mile.

is this the so called engine pinging? is this ok?

i am using premium gas, but i don't know about the previous owner. i imagine not.

i've read in some post about timing. the tinging coupled with the vibration makes me wonder if this timing thing is my issue. i am planning to go to a mechanic or a lexus dealer pretty soon (greenwich lexus says their computer system has been down since the black out and can't schedule anything until the middle of next week). does anyone know if this timing (whatever it is) could be a source of my problem?

oh, the vibration at idle seems (though not 100%) to be a little harder/louder when i run the AC. it's a tough call, though.

thanks, everybody.

Nope, that's normal.

I believe it's the metal on the exhaust cooling unevenly and making ticking sounds like that.

Nothing to be concerned about.

You seem very attentive to what your car is doing though. :) That's a good thing.

Just note mainly when things start to change from where they are now...(ie.idle becomes rougher, noises become louder, etc. before you have to worry.)

Your car sounds find to me from what you're saying.

-Jimi :cheers:

i haven't ever owned a car and it's been like 10 years since i've really driven one. so you'll have to excuse my scrutinizing EVERYthing.

i still think that engine drone/vibration at idle is a bit odd and the cabin should be quieter.

thanks.