Refueling.

Does anybody else find it extremely difficult to fill up the gas tank when refueling? Holy smokes, I've heard the Prius Owners mentioning how difficult it is to refuel, but I would of never thought the RX 400H suffered from the same.

Feedback would be appreciated, or better yet, tips on refueling... it's like -15 -> -25 outside.

Does anybody else find it extremely difficult to fill up the gas tank when refueling? Holy smokes, I've heard the Prius Owners mentioning how difficult it is to refuel, but I would of never thought the RX 400H suffered from the same.

Feedback would be appreciated, or better yet, tips on refueling... it's like -15 -> -25 outside.

Refueling is seamless. I've never had any trouble with getting the door open or getting adeqate flow from any nozzle used at the stations I frequent (76, mobil, shell). I avoid low cost stations (no name, or ARCO).

I always just lock the nozzle on wide open and let it click off when its full... tops of the tank just fine every time.

OK, well, it goes like this. I've refuelled a second time... same gas station and when trying to refuel the gas pump clicks off (like when the tank is full) but it is only perhaps 1/8 of a tank refuelled. Then you get back on it, and again, 10 seconds later it clicks off as if to say the tank is full. So, you release the handle and rengage and I try to refuel a third time at only 1/2 flow, and 10 seconds later or so again the handle clicks off. IOW, it can take a frustrating 10 minutes or so to fill the tank. Somehow the pump is picking up (I'm guessing fuel vapors through the gas tank neck) return fuel pressure and is disengaging the pump prematurely.

Is there some kind of trick to refuel this rig?

MadloR

I fill my tank up every two weeks and have never had this problem. However, I HAVE had this problem while fueling other vehicles and have found that the gas pump handle was at fault - never the car. Have you tried different gas stations?

i agree, 99% of the time in my RX, it is flawless, so that they can take my money faster

the other 1 percent, sometimes that happens but its very very rare. Go to a different station. Perhaps they cheaped out on buying quality pumps...lol

go with the chevron with techron...!!!

Well, my vehicle is a 400H, and I've read on the prius forums how the gas tank have a bag or balloon inside of them. And, as the vehicle is refueling the bag is squeezed. As the fuel is used up the bag takes the "empty" space of the fuel so as (I would assume) eliminate the liquid vaporizing in the empty volume left over by the size of the gas tank.

This is why, I thought the RX400H suffered from the same bug that seems to cause Prius owners to complain about refueling problems. But if others here, with the RX400H have not experienced this, I will wait for the fuel tank to drop to about 1/3 empty and I will try to refuel at another gas station to see if this problem is occuring again.

Thanks

MadloR

I would agree with the others that this is probably a problem with the particular gas station, rather than an issue with the vehicle. I've never had this problem with my 400h, but I did have this exact problem with my 2004 Toyota Landcruiser. Each time it was the same gas station (different pumps). By the third time, I complained to the attendant. I stopped going there for about 6 months because it was soooo frustrating, but when I went back one day I was happy to see that the problem had been corrected. You might want to mention it next time you go there and see if it's something they can calibrate/tune/tweak.

I've had my 400h over a year and have NEVER had any problems like what you've described. I go to Chevron, I've never trusted the "Joe's Gas and Corn Dogs" type pf places,maybe it's the pump design itself at that particular station. Try another station and see because as I said, not a single problem in fueling up. I also like the fact that I only have to do that twice a month. happy trails, Rey

i fill my rx330 which isnt really a gas guzzler, about every 3-4 days. mostly intown driving. i really need a hybrid. lol

perhaps those gas stations are always running out of fuel...so that the pump cant pump any gas up, just air, which is why it stops, who knows.

The fuel is foaming up in the tank, due to excess water in the supply or a poor filter in the station's pump. Go to another station or if you really want the cheap stuff, pull the nozzle out slightly (no more than 1/2 way) to keep the nozzle from tripping. If you do that, you'll have to listen for the tank filling up to know when to stop, otherwise you might spill.

I have fueled my share of vehicles in the 26 years... hehe. It's not rocket science. I'm leaning perhaps to a bad station pump (I don't remember if I used the same one twice or not), but I only fuel up at the same Major Oil Refinery Brand of Fuel. Tomorrow I plan on refuelling again, if only my RX 400H sucked gas like my 4.7 JGC Limited did.

Thanks all...

MadloR

The fuel is foaming up in the tank, due to excess water in the supply or a poor filter in the station's pump.

You have got to be kidding? Did you make this up? It's absurd.