Grinding Sound In Reverse When Braking

WillJovi75

Hello all,

On my 95 LS400, when I back out of a parking spot (low speed reverse), as soon as I apply the brake, there is a grinding sound that is taking place. I do not remember this being the case before taking the car to the dealership, and I wasn't sure if when they rotated the tires/checked the brakes if they might have done something to the car, or if there is something I can do to investigate further what the prob is? I can't really jack the car up, remove the tire, and drive in reverse along with inspecting the area for what is making the grinding sound all at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Will

Hello all,

On my 95 LS400, when I back out of a parking spot (low speed reverse), as soon as I apply the brake, there is a grinding sound that is taking place. I do not remember this being the case before taking the car to the dealership, and I wasn't sure if when they rotated the tires/checked the brakes if they might have done something to the car, or if there is something I can do to investigate further what the prob is? I can't really jack the car up, remove the tire, and drive in reverse along with inspecting the area for what is making the grinding sound all at the same time.

Any suggestions?

Will

Was it recently at the dealer? If that's the case i would take it back and politely explain what's going on....I would be willing to bet they would check it out for no charge or atleast give you an idea of what may be causing it.

Hey Scott,

It was at the dealer, and they did check out my car thoroughly. Last night, I took the car over to another avid Lexus DIY'er, and we identified the location where the grinding was taking place (front, drivers' side). We then jacked the car up and took the corresponding tire off the car. When we looked at the wheel, the back side of the rim had a ring of scraped metal stripped from it. I then looked at the brakes, and noticed one of the clips that was not completely seated in its normal spot. I pulled the safety pin, and the main pin, reseated the clip (soft tapping with hammer), and reassembled. Put tire back on, and the grinding is gone! I am going to call the dealer and let them know that they are lucky that wasn't something worse. Hopefully they will take the attitude that they owe me one after this.

Thanks for your reply. That was my next task, if this hadn't worked out this quickly and easily.

Will, I'm a little confused by "safety pin?" The pads are locked into place within the caliper by two slider pins, one on the left side and one on the right side. These pins slide through the holes on the pads, which locks them into the caliper seat, and also allows the pads to slide to and from the rotor when you press the brakes. Are you saying that your left "upper" slider pin was not there? And when you would reverse, the pads were sliding up/outward from the seat and hitting your tire rims, then when you went forward, the rotor was pulling them back down into the caliper seat? If that is the case, then you must of had an extra slider pin around, because I would assume the original one had come out completely?

Wow, that's a pretty significant error on Lexus's part if they did not install the slider pin correctly, and / or even know to check them when you took the car back in. That is some elemantry stuff to figure out, even for us DIY types, as you have successfully found out :cheers: