Rx350 Alignment

I have an new AWD RX350 with about 600 miles on it now. We really love the car.

We took it on the first long trip over the weekend. We traveled about 300 miles mostly on interstate highway. I noticed a sight drift to the right while driving around 65 MPH. In either the left or right lane, if I took my hands off the steering wheel, the RX350 would drift to the right.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this an AWD problem? Should I get the dealer to do an alignment on this new car? Thanks for any information from any experienced RX350 owners on the alignment with AWD.

Pete in NC

I have an new AWD RX350 with about 600 miles on it now. We really love the car.

We took it on the first long trip over the weekend. We traveled about 300 miles mostly on interstate highway. I noticed a sight drift to the right while driving around 65 MPH. In either the left or right lane, if I took my hands off the steering wheel, the RX350 would drift to the right.

Has anyone else seen this? Is this an AWD problem? Should I get the dealer to do an alignment on this new car? Thanks for any information from any experienced RX350 owners on the alignment with AWD.

Pete in NC

Turn on the drift control!!!!!!!1

Hi have an appointment this Saturday for the dealer to set some of the preferences.

I am going to ask them to fix the drift. I will let you know what kind of a response I get.

Hopefully, they will make it right.

Pete in NC

Did Lexus fix the problem? How was your experience?

And was it covered under warranty?

Best...

Jack

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the slow response. I took my RX350 in about 2 weeks ago to the dealer. It had about 1000 mi then. The dealer did an alignment under warranty at no cost. It was not too far out of line, but now my RX350 seems to track straight. :)

I think you will find that this is actually OK, as long as it is minor. I had this in my BMW and was told that it is set this way so that if you fall asleep or get distracted the car would not drift into oncoming traffic.

• 4 weeks later...

I had this in my BMW and was told that it is set this way so that if you fall asleep or get distracted the car would not drift into oncoming traffic.

Wow, dealerships really do take advantage of women. Perfect example.... That's the biggest bull I've ever heard, I can't believe you believed them.

I noticed same problem w/ alignment. My RX had < 50 miles when I bought it. Dealer said nothing wrong, alignment within specs. But it continues to drift to the right. I've taken it back 4 times (car now has 600 miles). This last time, Dealer rotated front tires to the rear with no accompanying 4-wheel alignment and feel some small improvement. It still needs work. I may have a lemon.

This problem makes driving the RX350 awful! It makes the driving feel like work. I'm taking it back again!

I noticed same problem w/ alignment. My RX had < 50 miles when I bought it. Dealer said nothing wrong, alignment within specs. But it continues to drift to the right. I've taken it back 4 times (car now has 600 miles). This last time, Dealer rotated front tires to the rear with no accompanying 4-wheel alignment and feel some small improvement. It still needs work. I may have a lemon.

This problem makes driving the RX350 awful! It makes the driving feel like work. I'm taking it back again!

I took mine to the dealer and they did a tire rotation and an alignment. Much better than before...

• 3 months later...

Ditto - dealer said alignment was OK, "cross-rotated" the tires, helped the situation. Since then we've made two long trips, 2600 miles and 2200 miles, and the problem seems to be getting better (or I'm getting used to it). It does seem that the car is very sensitive to any tilt in the road. If there is very much crown in the road the car really falls off to the right. On a road that appears flat it tracks pretty straight.

BTW, the RX350 is an absolutely great "traveling machine"! Comfortable, quiet and reasonably efficient.

• 1 month later...
Ditto - dealer said alignment was OK, "cross-rotated" the tires, helped the situation. Since then we've made two long trips, 2600 miles and 2200 miles, and the problem seems to be getting better (or I'm getting used to it). It does seem that the car is very sensitive to any tilt in the road. If there is very much crown in the road the car really falls off to the right. On a road that appears flat it tracks pretty straight.

BTW, the RX350 is an absolutely great "traveling machine"! Comfortable, quiet and reasonably efficient.

I would tend to agree with Gary_RX. Looks like this is a feature or the front wheel setup, not so much a fault. So the steering tends to pull to the right. On absolutely level surfaces it appears okay. On roads that tilt to the left, I think I am feeling pull to the left.

Mine pulled right noticeably from the very start. The dealer rotated tires, calibrated pressures, cambers, etc, and in the end it did improve somewhat. However, the pull is still there. Looks like I am getting used to it now after 6k miles.

It really stinks that Lexus could not make this right. It's a great car in almost every other aspect, so this could be just a bug, albeit a pretty annoying one.

I don't remember having any cars in the past 20 years that were so bad in this respect, once tire pressures were right. My Volvo V70 goes like a train -- I only need to steer once every mile or so... okay, maybe more often, but in this case the Swedish engineers really nailed it whereas !Removed! failed it.

B/