Buying Replacement Keys On Ebay

bfdm_mexi

Check this out... before you buy a replacement key on Ebay here are some things to consider.

1. make sure you buy a key that has the transponder already in it. some companies just sell the outer casing, which is cool if you want a clear key or green or whatever... just think very first nokia phone faceplates.

2. make sure there is someone locally that can cut the damn thing. it takes a special machine and a special cutter to make the intricuit cuts on more and more luxury cars and each one is different. After about 2 weeks of asking around I finally found someone who has the capability.. Luckily... but I have to wait a week for the cutter.

3. Never ask the dealer for any advice they're all retarded. plus keys from the dealer can cost upwards of $160 after ordering the key and having it programmed. whereas Ebay keys are about $50 and cutting is about $50.

I lucked out finding someone but was almost ready to eat to cost of the key I bought on Ebay. Programming is easy I have the instructions from the locksmith but you need the Master Key not a slave. the original key has to be able to open the trunk and the glovebox.

• 1 month later...

Check this out... before you buy a replacement key on Ebay here are some things to consider.

1. make sure you buy a key that has the transponder already in it. some companies just sell the outer casing, which is cool if you want a clear key or green or whatever... just think very first nokia phone faceplates.

2. make sure there is someone locally that can cut the damn thing. it takes a special machine and a special cutter to make the intricuit cuts on more and more luxury cars and each one is different. After about 2 weeks of asking around I finally found someone who has the capability.. Luckily... but I have to wait a week for the cutter.

3. Never ask the dealer for any advice they're all retarded. plus keys from the dealer can cost upwards of $160 after ordering the key and having it programmed. whereas Ebay keys are about $50 and cutting is about $50.

I lucked out finding someone but was almost ready to eat to cost of the key I bought on Ebay. Programming is easy I have the instructions from the locksmith but you need the Master Key not a slave. the original key has to be able to open the trunk and the glovebox.

$50 to cut a key??? That is rape!!!

$50 to cut a key??? That is rape!!!

I bet that locksmith had a big smile on his face when his customer left.

good point, my regular dealer didn't have the right machine to cut the key i got from ebay...and the local locksmith said he would cut it but wouldn't guarantee it to work...wtf?!

anyway, i found a lexus dealer that can cut keys and when i called about it the guys said let me guess you got a key blank from ebay....lol he said no problem bring it in...cant remember what i paid but i don't think it was $50.

another tip is that when programming the transponder...

programming a 2001 model is slightly different than the 2002-2005 models...