Best Tires For My Rx400h When It Comes Time

What about run-flat tires? We have them on our other cars and I hate for my wife to drive by herself, especially at night without run-flats. I've checked with my goodyear dealer and looked at tire rack and can't find any. Any and all advice and suggestions will be appreciated.

James, I don't have run flat tires but I hear that the produce a harsh ride. Something to consider when we have a cushy ride. I have had my Toyo Proxes S/T 255/55 18"s for over a year,14K miles and they are the best tires I have ever had...and they look amazing to boot! Rey in L.A.

post-26996-1216264253_thumb.jpg

Sounds like the consensus really likes the Bridgestone Alenzas (with Michelin trailing a distant? second). I'm on Goodyear RS-A Eagles and I've got some uneven cupping action going on in the front and back left tires, but the right side tires are not as worn nor cupped as bad. That is strange! :blink: I'm dropping my HyBaby off at the dealer this Saturday for an opinion, to see if I need to change them before my 25k service (I'm at 20.5k right now). I suspect bad alignment issues or alignment service differences between dealers.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Yokohama Geolanders for the 400h? Hubby has them on his Element & he is stunned at how quiet and smooth his ride has been since replacing his Goodyears!

Just wanted to plug the Alenzas(No, I don't work for Bridgestone). I love the ones on my RX so much I recommended them to my sister as a replacement for the OEM Michelins on her Volvo XC90. She was stunned at the difference. Tire Rack is a great place to read reviews on the Geolanders. Happy shopping!

Yeah I know, Tom. I get that ALL the time. Teehee. I'm actually a post graduate of UC Davis and UC Irvine but my blood runs deep in Blue & Gold. I understand well the rivalry with y'all. I can't escape the THRILL of being a BRUIN! (even if we've been rebuilding our football program for nearly 2 decades)

But without getting too off topic, I am disappointed in the OEM Goodyears for my 400h. I'm probably leaning towards Bridgestone now. But the question is, are there any non-dealership service centers familiar with 400h tire replacement in San Diego? I'll find out Saturday how much my dealer charges .... yikes, I don't want to know! :o

I know everyone loves the Alenzas but from what I have read, the tires that I have on my 400h, Toyo S/T's 255/55/18" are rated better. The fact that Tire Rack doesn't sell them makes it invalid to say that the Alenza's are the best since they don't have a rating for any Toyo tires. The Alenzas are the best that they SELL for our car. Just something to think about because I have had my Toyo's for 15 months at this point and they are fabulous. I do live in L.A. so I can't address weather issues but these tires are the best I've ever had in the rain. I also like the more aggressive tire pattern, but then that's why some people DON'T like them. They were supposed to be loud after 10K miles, as told to me by a Lexusclub member, but they are as quiet as they were when they were put on. They are wider so they simply feel more sure-footed and the ride is great. I was thinking that after these I'd get the Alenza's but it would take a lot for me to switch...but they are barely worn so I don't have to make that decision for a while so I'll leave that open. Rey

post-26996-1217030505_thumb.jpg

Just Google your nearest Bridgestone/Firestone Service Center. There's got to be one in your area. I've had good experiences at the ones in our area. You can also buy them from Tire Rack and have them shipped/installed by one of their approved shops in your area. I'm certain you'll be happy w/the Alenzas.

UCLA,

I had the Tirerack ship me the Alenzas and the dealership installed and balanced them for free (since my Goodyears wore out prematurely). My dealership is Bob Baker - not as huge as KM Lexus, but BB has been good to me (We bought our RX there and that helps.)

Larger tires = greater rotational mass and more unsprung weight. This is why I stayed with the stock size. Rey likes his and that's all that's important - customer satisfaction!

Dave

Yep, that's it. they are about 1/4" bigger all around so now my computer MPGs are really close to my calculated MPGs! The Toyo S/Ts are a wee bit bigger, not like MONSTER TRUCK sized! But they look more like they belong...in my opinion, of course. I teach at the Art Center College of Design, world famous for car design, so to me the stock size just looks wrong, too small. Again, it's just an opinion. Anyway, the Toyos really ride nice and smooth and handle great even in the pouring rain...as seldom as that is in L.A. that is!. I think that as long as we don't have those stock Bad Years, er, I mean , Good Years, that came with some of our cars, your already way better off! Toodles, Rey

post-26996-1217108508_thumb.jpg

Well, well, well. My dealer put on brand-spankin' new Michelins, replacing the BadYears FOR FREE. I swapped my HyBaby last night for an '09 RX350 Loaner AT MY HOUSE (the dealer sent his men down so I didn't have to drive there) and am getting back my HyBaby tonite!!!! WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! Glory Glory Glory!!!!! I'm SO ECSTATIC :lol: Anyone who's trying to find a Lexus dealership in SD, GO TO CARLSBAD. I guarantee you won't be disappointed in their customer service.

BTW, I definetely like the 400h. The 350 is much noisier. The '09 NAV is much different. I likey the '06 better. I don't know the history of the NAV systems in RXs, but they should have kept the old one. Just my opinion. Otherwise the entire RX looks the same, same leather seats, same dash, same buttons. Not much difference except the NAV.

Well, well, well. My dealer put on brand-spankin' new Michelins, replacing the BadYears FOR FREE. I swapped my HyBaby last night for an '09 RX350 Loaner AT MY HOUSE (the dealer sent his men down so I didn't have to drive there) and am getting back my HyBaby tonite!!!! WOOOHOOOOOO!!!!!! Glory Glory Glory!!!!! I'm SO ECSTATIC :lol: Anyone who's trying to find a Lexus dealership in SD, GO TO CARLSBAD. I guarantee you won't be disappointed in their customer service.

BTW, I definetely like the 400h. The 350 is much noisier. The '09 NAV is much different. I likey the '06 better. I don't know the history of the NAV systems in RXs, but they should have kept the old one. Just my opinion. Otherwise the entire RX looks the same, same leather seats, same dash, same buttons. Not much difference except the NAV.

I'll see how far these babies go... I'm so happy the dealer did not charge me parts nor labor to swap out my BadYears!

017modredwm.jpg

016modredwm.jpg

Every Lexus dealer seems to be great but replacing the tires was a very unusually nice move on their part. Anyway, I find that different tires have an optimum tire pressure and with my Toyo tires it feels like 38psi is just perfect. The dealership now sets it at that when I come in. I also got a small tire pump at my local hardware store,OSH, for under $20 that I keep in the car and a pressure gauge and periodically check the pressure to keep all four tires at exactly 38. I would love to know an RX owner that has the Alenzas just so I can compare them with my Toyos. I have a few areas around town that I know to have really rough patches of road and I used that as a gauge as well as a tight curve on the 110 frwy(one of the oldest freeways in the country and quite an "E" ticket ride!) ,they are both great for evaluating tire feel and performance. The Good Year tires were softer but cornered terribly. Anyway, I am too happy with the Toyos and will more than likely buy them again...if they ever wear out! I'm glad that UCLAAlum got such a great deal and an understanding dealer. They...all Lexus dealers must now know how bad the original GYs are from countless complaints . Rey

post-26996-1217597010_thumb.jpg

I'll see how far these babies go... I'm so happy the dealer did not charge me parts nor labor to swap out my BadYears!

Our GoodYears were gone by 12K & we opted for Michelin replacements too. That was nearly 30K miles ago. Our main concern wasn't comfort, but rather wear & low rolling resistance. After Costco (WAY best price during their sale) installed them, I started reading about the benefits of higher tire pressures. The hybrid sights had people in the know saying it isn't a risk ... that you wouldn't cause your tires to do a hindenburg ... and the mpg's would go up. So I raised the pressures ... then raised 'em a little more ... then a little more. Nearly 30K miles later, & you can't even tell our tires are used. I love it. Great wear. Yea, the ride is not as smooth. But being a slow poke, we don't bomb over speedbumps or pile through hairpin corners anyway. Our mpg's went way up - from 26 into the 30's ... and we have the heavier AWD version. Sounds creepy, but we run 47lbs with NO adverse wear. Believe it or not, some run even higher pressure w/ no ill effects ... but that's beyond my comfort zone. I always had tires go bald on the outer edge 20 years ago. I don't know how they make 'em now days, but we just aren't getting any adverse wear patterns. Way to go, Michelins.

Not getting excessive center-wear at 47 psi is defying the laws of physics! Certainly, the factory was off the mark by recommending 30 psi in each tire, but 47 is so far beyond that, I'd be really concerned about not only wearing out the center of the tires prematurely, but also with the reduction of handling, due to the reduced contact area.

I run our Alenzas at 35 psi and they are wearing very evenly. Remember, too, that the higher the pressure, the harsher the ride. When the goodyears were inflated to 30, the ride was heavenly smooth. At 35, the ride is definitely a bit harsher, but bearable. I can't imagine what 47 psi would feel like!

I run our Alenzas at 35 psi and they are wearing very evenly. Remember, too, that the higher the pressure, the harsher the ride. When the goodyears were inflated to 30, the ride was heavenly smooth. At 35, the ride is definitely a bit harsher, but bearable. I can't imagine what 47 psi would feel like!

I agree completely. Why jeopardize safety for a bit longer tire life?

Tom