Stupid Dealer Wants $15 For Platinum Spark Plugs

Spiike32

Ok I think it's quite ridiculous that platinum plugs are $15 a piece at the dealer near chicago. So I did a search and read through posts on all 15 pages and concluded I needed either one of these from sparkplugs.com. Now the question is which one to get? I thought iridium is better and longer lasting but it is cheaper than the platinum tipped. I dont know why and wanted to consult before I place the order.

NGK IX iridium 3764 BKR6EIX-11 0.044 DOHC $6.95 --iridium

NGK Iridium plug 4589 IFR6T-11 0.044 DOHC (Original Equipment Manufacturer, and/or Original Equipment Service Part) $8.07 -- iridium core with platinum tip

wow. that's a deal compared to the guy at the dealership. I really wanted to kick him after I left. I'll stop by Advance autoparts tonight cause I dont trust ebay. thepartsbin looks like a good choice too which I will consider. Thanks for the quick responses! <3

I got my plugs replaced at a local Toyota dealership recently while they were doing some other work. I neglected to inquire ahead of time what the cost would be. :cries:

When I picked up the car and saw the $14.65 (each) charge on the invoice, I nearly :censored: my drawers!

So, I complained to the service manager and he reduced the cost to $10 each and deducted the labor charge from the invoice - another $40 savings. So, I ended up fairly satisfied but I learned it pays to always check on prices ahead of time. I just assumed they wouldn't be that expensive.....wrong! :chairshot:

wow. that's a deal compared to the guy at the dealership. I really wanted to kick him after I left.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, a shirt at Nordstrom costs significantly more than the same shirt from Sears. You cannot expect a Lexus dealer to have products at the same price as a discount car parts store. If they did that they would not be able to stay in business and offer the levels of service and amenities the dealers provide. If you don't want to pay the dealers prices, then don't shop at the dealer but don't go around calling them stupid or saying you want to kick them. Thats dumb, business is business and patronize businesses with prices you want and can afford to spend.

Happy Friday All,

I'm looking to replace my spark plugs as well but am unsure of which ones to buy. I was told that the platinum plugs from the dealer are the best to go with. Please advise how others compare and which are the best option. Thanks kindly. Hope to hear from you soon.

Forgot to mention that I own a 1996 ES300.

Thanks.