Trac Control

ralphnewman

My 94 LS has been in storage for about two months because of our wonderful Colorado weather this year. I drove it yesterday for the first time and two problems showed up. First the trac control will not ingage. I push the switch and nothing happens. Also, the check engine light is coming on. About two weeks ago it needed to be moved and the battery was to low to start the car so it needed to be charged. Any thoughts on what might be the problem(s). For winter drivng I really need the Trac Control.

Thanks in advance, Ralph

My 94 LS has been in storage for about two months because of our wonderful Colorado weather this year. I drove it yesterday for the first time and two problems showed up. First the trac control will not ingage. I push the switch and nothing happens. Also, the check engine light is coming on. About two weeks ago it needed to be moved and the battery was to low to start the car so it needed to be charged. Any thoughts on what might be the problem(s). For winter drivng I really need the Trac Control.

Thanks in advance, Ralph

When the check engine light, probably an emission sys, the traction control automatically shuts down.

Sorry, I just can't imagine anyone relying on the early LS400 version of traction control. I not only found it useless I developed the habit of turning it off each and every time I start the car. The only purpose I've even known it to be good for is as a warning, "head's up" of street conditions of which I was unaware for some reason.

That being said CEL does result in Trac off.

I'd have to disagree with that completely.

This is my first winter with my LS here in Canada and I have to say that I have had many, MANY occasions, I would be driving along a corner when I would suddenly feel a little shimmy in the car then to notice that the trac light would be flashing on the dash.

To me what that means is that it just saved me from some now unknown possibility because more than likely, my back end was about to slip out.

I'm pretty sure it's done a lot for me, and to me, the fact that I'm not sure is great, because in this case the only time someone would be sure is after something goes wrong.

And just out of curiousity, I have turned it off for a few minutes on a few occasions and I have to say that the driving experience was remarkably different because on icy surfaces the car was WAY more unpredictable.

• 3 weeks later...

When I got my 94 LS a few weeks ago it had been sitting for a couple weeks wiht a dead battery. Once I got it going the TRAC light would come on. Somewhere I read it may need to be reset after a battery failure. The TRAC warning would not come on until driving a bit but always came on. So it snowed here in Maryland yesterday and I blazed out of the parking lot engaging TRAC a number of time with the light flashing each time. Since then and 100 miles later no warnings or solid lights, it may have reset itself. Anyone have an ides whats happened or how the system works?

also filled this thing up today and it took 20.5 gallons, any idea how much the tank actually holds?