Gs450h Mpg

Hi, I thought I'd try the US forum regarding my GS as theres not many people in the UK with this car...

I've had my Lexus GS450h for around 4 months now.. I purchased it brand new in september and to be honest, have not been happy with it since....

At the moment I am getting on average around 17 mpg which is wayy below the manufacters figure... I don't drive fast and mainly around town but the consumption shouldn't be this low!!

What are you guys getting out of your GS hybrids? Do you think I should take it back to the dealers?

I need to make some comparisons first and possibly print this forum off as well as proof before taking it back to the dealers... Last time I mentioned it, they blamed my right foot!

Also took her on a long motorway journey and managed 25mpg on her... Not very happy I'm afraid.

Will greatly appreciate some of your figures... cheers :)

Hi, I thought I'd try the US forum regarding my GS as theres not many people in the UK with this car...

I've had my Lexus GS450h for around 4 months now.. I purchased it brand new in september and to be honest, have not been happy with it since....

At the moment I am getting on average around 17 mpg which is wayy below the manufacters figure... I don't drive fast and mainly around town but the consumption shouldn't be this low!!

What are you guys getting out of your GS hybrids? Do you think I should take it back to the dealers?

I need to make some comparisons first and possibly print this forum off as well as proof before taking it back to the dealers... Last time I mentioned it, they blamed my right foot!

Also took her on a long motorway journey and managed 25mpg on her... Not very happy I'm afraid.

Well, not sure about the UK, but don't you measure fuel economy by litres per kilometer? Take note that if you converting litres to gallons, we have the US gallon and the Canadian Gallon.

Cheers,

MadloR

P.S. fwiw, I would think the sedan would get better mileage than the SUV's Hybrids. Perhaps, you are still within the break in period. I have also heard that disconnecting the battery and reconnecting it without going through a dealer pre-configuration can cause adverse economy.

17 is ridiculously low. i would expect to get 23mph intown even with the sports car oriented battery in the car.

try checking tire pressure. maybe it is your right foot? sometimes, its not how far you push the pedal down, but how long it keep it held down. Try to keep your foot off the pedals (brake and accel) for as long as possible. Scope out traffic to see if you really need to brake, or really need to gas. dont brake for no reason!

• 2 weeks later...

17 just sounds wrong..but for what it's worth, I have an RX400h and I get 26MPG here in L.A. and mostly city driving with climate, well, L.A. weather is very even and nice year round...if I wanted to get crazy mileage,I would have gotten a Prius, Civic or a Focus ( and perhaps a crash helmet). The reason that I got this one is,well, it's a Lexus and I really think they make the best vehicles in the world and I got it because it is environmentally,relatively, clean. It is very efficient when it comes down to, for me, to not polluting as much. These lexus hybrids aren't in competition with the little "econotoys" ,they are the way all cars should be going, using less fuel and running cleaner without compromise. As I've said in previous posts, I had a PT Cruiser for three years...fun, cute car...automatic and it was rated at 26-29MPG. I got 17! I could never get it over 20 ever on one tank. It was also shifting as if I were going over two X fours...the downshifting was especially jarring...OK, not fair to compare a PT Cruiser to a Lexus...a Lexus ANYTHING, but it's made me more grateful. I haven't been rich as long as most of you so to me all of this luxury car business is new...and I love it! For what it's worth...an essay by Rey Bustos in sunny L.A.

Here in Canada with my Lexus RX400h I average about 9.5L/100km in winter and about 8.5-9 L/100km in summer. On the highway my mileage is actually worse at about 10.5L/100km - that is when I average about 120 km/h on long stretches. Presumably your mileage would be a little bit worse with the larger engine.

Hope that helps.

• 3 weeks later...

duffman

i also own a gs450h here in the u.k since may 2006. i have now covered over 20,000 miles and have never got less than 26mpg. on a run i would expect to get around 34mpg in summer months & around 30-31 in the winter.

suggest you talk to your dealer about your mpg figures, how are you finding the car apart from the mileage problem?

signboy

• 2 weeks later...

duffman

i also own a gs450h here in the u.k since may 2006. i have now covered over 20,000 miles and have never got less than 26mpg. on a run i would expect to get around 34mpg in summer months & around 30-31 in the winter.

suggest you talk to your dealer about your mpg figures, how are you finding the car apart from the mileage problem?

signboy

astec from downunder here.

just for your comparison, my 3 week old GS450H returned 750km / 62l on 98 octane (combine 50:50 city: highway) unleaded petrol. this would convert to 34.4mpg. This seems to be my average +/- 2mpg.

I'm impressed...

Think something is not right with your vehicle, if the right foot is not to blame.

I switched from the UK RX400h to a UK GS450h and then switched back to an RX400h! ( I was not happy with the ride in the GS and the felt a bit cramped in there after the RX).

In the two months that I run the GS, consumption avareged 30MPG in the GS after 1,000 miles. I normally average 28MPG in the RX400. On that basis, I would say your car needs a thorough check - try a different Dealer.

. . . . . . . . . . . . .

Hi duffman,

Didn't note if anyone raised the issure of miles/kilomer conversion/accuracy. Presuming that's ok, most mileage conscious folks (much more rare here, than on the Toyota Prius chat pages) note that cars DO tend to do better after about 3 or 4 months of breakin. During those times, one tends to get a better feel for the cars, and has more practice at 'anticipation' driving, etc. The Lexus crowd tend to appreciate 'ride' above mileage, otherwise I'd suggest increacing tire pressure slightly. It made the difference on my Prius. Went from 55mpg to a best of 61.7mpg. Had some increase on the 400h as well.

Good Luck! ... and welcome the the u.s.a. site.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm getting 23-25mpg with my 'copper' foot ( not as heavy as lead) . a daily highway commuter at 70-75 mph average. My previous commuter car was an fx45 that i got about 12-14mpg tops driving the same way... i don't know how infiniti got away with saying 21mpg highway for the fx45... no way... but thats another story ;^)

• 7 years later...