400h,4wd Or 2wd?

I know this might sound naive...and I am at times,but I thought all 400hs were 4WD? Now I see on sites that ask for model,year,ect., that they have a box to check for RX400h for 2WD and one for 4WD. I thought there was a motor for the rear wheels? Argh. Naively yours, Rey

I know this might sound naive...and I am at times,but I thought all 400hs were 4WD? Now I see on sites that ask for model,year,ect., that they have a box to check for RX400h for 2WD and one for 4WD. I thought there was a motor for the rear wheels? Argh. Naively yours, Rey

There's two versions... the 2WD and an AWD.

4WD is not the same as AWD... the difference has to full time vs part time wheel driving.

The 400h does not have a drive shaft from the engine to the rear wheels, only an electric motor is connected to them.

Hope that helps.

4WD is not the same as AWD... the difference has to full time vs part time wheel driving.

The 400h does not have a drive shaft from the engine to the rear wheels, only an electric motor is connected to them.

Hope that helps.

Response from Rey Bustos:

See?I knew I went to the right place for an answer! You are so smart. That makes total sense! Lexus owners are so smart.....well, I'm a Lexus owner also...Well,I'm smart in other ways! Hehee.... Thanks so much, Rey in L.A....

Hope that helps.

Follow up question for me...

If I was told, I don't remember anyone at the dealership telling me...how do we know which version we have? Rey

I just found out for myself...it's in the VIN number,the first six characters:

JTJGW3 = 2WD

JTJHW3 = 4WD

the first "J" means that it was made in Japan...which I think we knew. Rey

Response from Rey Bustos:

. . . . . . .

If I was told, I don't remember anyone at the dealership telling me...how do we know which version we have? Rey

I just found out for myself...it's in the VIN number,the first six characters:

JTJGW3 = 2WD

JTJHW3 = 4WD

the first "J" means that it was made in Japan...which I think we knew. Rey

I'd think the easies way to tell which you have is by looking at the MFD ... if the screen shows power going to both front & rear wheels ... you got AWD

If not ... then ... well, you can figue that out too!

The 2WD's were available in 2006 model year. They may have only shipped them to the south. Bought a 2WD 2006 Rx 400H in Feb. 2006. Living in Florida, I had no use for the AWD and didn't want to pay the extra cash. It even had the wood trim interior. Very happy with it. Very quiet and comfortable highway cruiser.

The 2WD's were available in 2006 model year. They may have only shipped them to the south. Bought a 2WD 2006 Rx 400H in Feb. 2006. Living in Florida, I had no use for the AWD and didn't want to pay the extra cash. It even had the wood trim interior. Very happy with it. Very quiet and comfortable highway cruiser.

There is only a $1400 difference.

On resale you will easily double that $1400 investment.

This is true of all rigs, Audi, BMW etc.

I understand not needing it but that is how I justify it.

Plus there is a performance and handeling benefit even on dry and wet conditions.

Thinking or changing my RX 350 for 400h - Out of interest can anyone who has owned both comment on which is the better AWD. My RX350 is good in snow so would hate to swap for 400h to find out it's rubbish.

You will not be disappointed. The 400h has better 40-60 time due to the massive amt of torqrue available instantly without downshifting. The traction will be the same. Just because there is no drive shaft does not mean those rear wheels are useless... the traction control (dare I say power control) doles out traction to the rear wheels under a variey of conditions. All to provide seamless and instant pedal response that you cannot get on the 350 no matter how big the make the engine.

Night and day, my friend.

Thinking or changing my RX 350 for 400h - Out of interest can anyone who has owned both comment on which is the better AWD. My RX350 is good in snow so would hate to swap for 400h to find out it's rubbish.

You will not be disappointed. The 400h has better 40-60 time due to the massive amt of torqrue available instantly without downshifting. The traction will be the same. Just because there is no drive shaft does not mean those rear wheels are useless... the traction control (dare I say power control) doles out traction to the rear wheels under a variey of conditions. All to provide seamless and instant pedal response that you cannot get on the 350 no matter how big the make the engine.

Night and day, my friend.

I thought that I had read somewhere that the 4WD RXh only doles out power to the rear motor upon wheelspin/slippage at the front. Thereby the 4WD designation, implying part-time, versus AWD which seemingly implies full-time.

There is also the overall "power" budget to be considered. Constantly, or even under hard acceleration as in the SH-AWD system, doling out power to the rear would needlessly lower the FE. The acceleration numbers, 0-60 MPH, times for the FWD version, front drive motors only, are certainly good enough except for boy-racer types.

i would not consider switching your RX 350 for the hybrid. THe new models come out next year...you will be suffering great decreciation

Yes, maybe by next year we will see a true hybrid, in the nature of the Prius, one designed for FE, not for the boy-racer mentality type.

A Miller Cycle I4 with a variable speed/volume supercharger?

A supercharger that only supplies sea level atmospheric pressure unless you put your foot in it..?