Considering Rx300 Purchase

Cygnus

I'm on my second LS400 (a 1996, the first one was a 1991, bought both used), and have been extremely happy with both cars. We're about to replace the wife's Toyota 4Runner (also very happy with this vehicle) and are considering the RX300, probably a 1999 or 2000. The RX300 gets really high marks with JD Power.

Would I expect to have a similar maintenance/repair experience with the RX300 that I've had with the LS400s?

What major items should I be on the lookout for?

Is the transmission problem I've been reading about limited to the AWD models?

Is this a purchase you would recommend?

Thanks in advance for your input.

-Sean

Not even close. Spend some time reviewing the RX forums and you'll quickly discover a number of common flaws that plague the early RX300 series. They include: premature transmission failure in the all-wheel-drive models, a tendency for the exhaust manifold to crack, rear main oil seal failures, improperly designed strut mount rubber bushings that don't fit and wear quickly, and numerous oxygen sensor failures.

I don't believe that any other Lexus can even come close to the LS400 for durability and lifespan. We recently replaced my wife's lousy 2000 RX300 AWD with a 2004 RX330 AWD, but it was her money and her decision, not mine. Acura, Subaru, and Jeep build far better SUVs and crossovers than the RX series. Do your research before you buy, and good luck to you in whatever you decide....

I'm on my second LS400 (a 1996, the first one was a 1991, bought both used), and have been extremely happy with both cars. We're about to replace the wife's Toyota 4Runner (also very happy with this vehicle) and are considering the RX300, probably a 1999 or 2000. The RX300 gets really high marks with JD Power.

Would I expect to have a similar maintenance/repair experience with the RX300 that I've had with the LS400s?

-Sean

I've had pretty good luck with my 2000 RX, I've managed to avoid the biggest two known problems the trans failure and the sludge issue. I've been on this forum a long time and those are the only to problems that seem to recur on a regular basis. Sure there are cases of failures and problems of all types of things but even the ones that I've had, such as coil packs going bad or antenna failures are not even close to what I would call "common".

A word of advice though that will probably save you in a number of ways. There were/are many more failures and problems reported for the 99-00 model years. If I were to do it again I would get an 01-03 instead. 99 was the first model year for the RX and although we tend to ignore it we all know not to buy the first year model from ANY brand for obvious reasons. The 00 was better in some respects but not completely. By 01 the two major problems (sludging and trans failure ) seemed to have been addressed.

Whats the cost difference between an 00 and an 01, can't be THAT much and it'll most likely be worth it.

-Sean

Please keep in mind, foremost, that you wife's current "wheels", Toyota 4Runner is a RWD model or at least rear torque biased if AWD/4WD. She could be in for some very unpleasant surprises given the rather radical difference, on occassion, of the handling/driving charactoristics between the 4Runner and the RX300.

If I were moving my wife in this direction my selection would be limited to the BMW X5 or the newer X3 even the MB SUV.

If she never encounters low traction or icy roadbeds then disregard all of the above.

Thanks for the replies. Even though I mostly lurk here, I've learned a tremendous amount and become a much more informed buyer and owner.

I was fortunate enough to purchase the LS400's from first or second owners with complete service records and you've reinforced that's even more important with the RX300. I think we'll limit our search to 2001 or later.

We're also looking at the Infinity QX4. Anyone have feedback on that vehicle?

-Sean

The QX4 is a tricked-out Nissan Pathfinder. Unlike the RX, the QX4 is built on a truck-based platform. It is more durable and better equipped for off-road and snow conditions than any RX would be.

I have a friend who has owned a QX4 for six or seven years and really loves it.

The QX4 is a tricked-out Nissan Pathfinder. Unlike the RX, the QX4 is built on a truck-based platform. It is more durable and better equipped for off-road and snow conditions than any RX would be.

I have a friend who has owned a QX4 for six or seven years and really loves it.

I agree, the QX4 would be a better off-road and heavy snow choice and , perhaps more durable IF you used it in off-road conditions, but like RX said its a truck, and up until 01-or 02 it was terribly underpowered. Coming from a 4Runner it would probably be similar only a little more comfy. The RX is a completely different drive, much more car-like and heck-of-a-lot more comfortable and quiet IMHO. And, although the RX 300 is no powerhouse it moves better than QX for sure and probably a little better or similar ot the 4Runner of the 99 vintage.