Trunk Closing Question

Just picked up a '03 GS300 SportDesign. Love the car, but the trunk lid feels very heavy. Slams closed by itself unless you open it all the way. Then it always slams closed once you get past that point. I played with the two crossbars in the trunk and the hanger in the center.

Is this the norm for the car or am I missing something? I don't want any of my kids' body parts near the trunk at this point...

Just picked up a '03 GS300 SportDesign. Love the car, but the trunk lid feels very heavy. Slams closed by itself unless you open it all the way. Then it always slams closed once you get past that point. I played with the two crossbars in the trunk and the hanger in the center.

Is this the norm for the car or am I missing something? I don't want any of my kids' body parts near the trunk at this point...

Same thing happens with my 93. The trunk slams closed if not supported. The gas shocks on the trunk are shot. Replace those and you should be fine.

Same thing happens with my 93. The trunk slams closed if not supported. The gas shocks on the trunk are shot. Replace those and you should be fine.

I don't have gas shocks in this trunk. Looks like two metal rods running across the base that keep it open.

You can adjust the torsion springs to give more tension. You need to pull the upper side trim panel down , there are 3 holes to anchor the spring end. Move it to the one closest to the rear of the car for the most tension.Does the trunk have a spoiler? Sometimes people add a spoiler and the springs can't hold the weight.You can buy springs from the dealer for a spoiler equipped trunk to give more support.

• 9 years later...
  • 7 months later...

Rick, did you ever replace your original torsion bars?  For 2003 Lexus GS300

The part numbers for anyone that needs them: #11  Rear Left w/spoiler 6453230260

#10  Rear Right w/spoiler 6453130260

Please confirm part #'s with dealer for any changes, Rob