Ls 430 Brake Wear

pmblanch

My LS 430 has 20,000 miles and is driven normally with a balance between highway and city miles. :rolleyes: Today my Lexes dealer replaced the brakes at a cost in excess of $600. :angry: I also have a SC 400 and the brakes last in excess of 100,000 miles :lol: . The dealer told me 20,000 miles is normal for an LS 430. :angry:

Is this normal wear or did I get taken by my Lexus dealer?

I guess it really depends on what all was changed. Pads can wear out quickly if driving is "spririted". Were the rotors turned? $600 is a little steep considering a basic brake job is really pretty strait forward. It's hard to say if it truely is normal - but if the owner is uncerntain, it is always advisable to get a second opinion from a nuetral source that can physically inspect the situation.

I'm gonna drop this over to the LS forum though for you too.

NEVER have worked done on your car at a Lexus dealership unless it's warranty work. Find a good local mechnaic that has worked on Lexus' before. Yes, you're going to have to do a little researching but it will save you tons of money. Jeez, brakes are straight foraward actually. You could of went anyhwere and had that done. Ask the vampire Lexus shop manager exactly what they did if you don't understand it in detail from the invoice. I suspect they turned all 4 rotors with that 600$ price tag? But with 20K? Do you drive aggressive with a lot of hard stops? If it was just brake pads, I would raise a huge fuss and complain loudly. That is robbery, to say it lightly. Shops like Brake Stop will switch out brake pads for $99 - $199. Depending on the pads. I actually go out and buy the pads and bring the car to a local, trusted shop or I do it myself if I have time.