94 Ls400 Power Steering Rack Question

wrpsuite

So if you've been following my saga I have this 94 LS 400 w/ 180k on it. Belonged to my brother n law who took good care of it. He agreed to sell it to me somewhere between retail and wholesale price which comes to around $4000. I think it's a fair deal.

Today I took it to get inspected and they told me int needs the following:

Power Steering Rack

PS Hose

Tie Rod end

CV boot is cracked...

1 tire.

The PS pump was replaced 8 months ago since it stopped working ans was leaking....

after discussing it with him further today he said he'll take $3000 as is...

Anyone ever get a new PS rack? How much was the repair ? Has anyone done it themselves? How much was the part?

Any input is appreciated.

Hi, I'm just curious...does your LS pull to one side (usually right)? My 92's steering wheel always have seem like a constant torque that wants to turn the steering wheel to the right by it self when driving, thus the car constantly pulls to the right. This is very tiring during long trips because I have to constantly give left torque on the steering wheel to keep the car travelling straight. I've done numerous alighments and it doesn't seem to help, so I'm suspecting that it's my power steering rack.

Hi, I'm just curious...does your LS pull to one side (usually right)? My 92's steering wheel always have seem like a constant torque that wants to turn the steering wheel to the right by it self when driving, thus the car constantly pulls to the right. This is very tiring during long trips because I have to constantly give left torque on the steering wheel to keep the car travelling straight. I've done numerous alighments and it doesn't seem to help, so I'm suspecting that it's my power steering rack.

You can check that by jacking the front wheels up and starting the engine/turning it off while watching the steering wheel. Do it a half dozen times. If the steering wheel kicks to the right each time as the power steering pump pressurizes, then the problem is in the rack.

mine does not pull, my guess is you have a bad bearing or a stuck caliper. check the pads for uneven wear and if both wheels spin freely when off the ground... good luck.

My rack is leaking fluid and trying to figure out if it need to be replaced or if some other soulution is possible.

My rack is leaking fluid and trying to figure out if it need to be replaced or if some other soulution is possible.

If the rack is leaking, you probably need to replace it. I'm not an expert on this, mind you. I had to replace mine on a 91 ls 400. Bought the rack from AutoZone. Swapped it my self...it's not too hard...but I put regular PS fluid back in. This was not a good idea. The rack started leaking after a while, got it replaced under warranty and have had no problems since.

Note: It's pretty tought to find a rack with the power solenoid on it. You'll have to swap that out. The thing is somewhat fragile so be careful.

Racks will probably run between 300-400 give or take $50.

Peter

Well, thought I'd like to update on my car's pulling issue. Took it in for an oil change today and I asked the technician to go for a test drive. It turned out to be the tire itself. The front passenger tire have radial pulling (ending up like a cone shape). The shop switched the two front tires and the car started to pull to the left. Both front tires are replaced and the car tracks dead straight now.

The tire issue came at a surprise to me, because both of my front Dunlop tires are only 2 years old, and they have less than 12,000 miles on it. ;)

Well, thought I'd like to update on my car's pulling issue. Took it in for an oil change today and I asked the technician to go for a test drive. It turned out to be the tire itself. The front passenger tire have radial pulling (ending up like a cone shape). The shop switched the two front tires and the car started to pull to the left. Both front tires are replaced and the car tracks dead straight now.

The tire issue came at a surprise to me, because both of my front Dunlop tires are only 2 years old, and they have less than 12,000 miles on it. ;)

Better have the car aligned if you don't want to burn up two more tires.

JimA