Ls400 Heated Seat Problems

jaed2

Help! I recently purchased a beautiful 1995 white LS400 with only 45,000 miles. Gorgeous condition in and out. Everything looks completely untouched. Got all the records, beautiful car, i love it!

However, I bought it knowing that neither of the seat heaters worked even though the fuse was intact. The seat heat indicator lights come on, but there is absolutely no heat flowing to either passenger or driver seat. (neither on the backrest or the actual seat cushion). I figured the problem was some sort of easy fix, and if not, i would be without seat heaters. No big deal. I took the car to a local shop and I'm not totally sure they were familiar with the car, but they told me that all the seat heating elements were burnt out and that all would have to be replaced at a cost of close to $2000. As I said, the car only has 45,000 miles on it and the last driver was a little old lady. I suppose that it's possible that the elements are burnt out on both seats, but is it possible there's another explanation? It just seems so soon with a car with so few miles. Also, if it is the seat heating elements and others have had the same problems, is there any aftermarket equipment that i can replace them with and still use them with my regular factory seat heating controls? Any info, sympathy or empathy would be greatly appreciated :D . Please let me know!! thanks!!

under 50k the car might still be under warranty technically call up the nearest dealer and find out.

Really? even though the car is 12 years old? I Didn't even consider it a possibility, but i can give it a shot. thanks!

under 50k the car might still be under warranty technically call up the nearest dealer and find out.

Really? even though the car is 12 years old? I Didn't even consider it a possibility, but i can give it a shot. thanks!

No, not really. The basic warranty that covered the seat heaters expired exactly four years after your car's "in service" date - usually the original sale date.

There is a four page diagostic procedure in my 2000 LS400 repair manual set. It involves testing the components of the seat heating system including the testing each of the four heating pads independently.

It is unlikely that all four of your heating pads are defective.