Question For Ls Owners Who Live In Cold Weather

scottelble

Ok, maybe i just have a minor case of OCD, but i recently noticed this weird noise after startup and while it's cold( 19f. of colder). I can't describe it other than it comes from the back passenger side of the engine compartment and is a kind of on and off buzzing noise. It also dissapears after warm up. I'm a freak about mantaining my baby so i was wondering if anyone has heard the same noise, or any other that occurs only in the very cold weather? I'm probably overreacting, but please ease my mind. Is this just common for engines to react this way to the cold?

Here in Niagara Falls, Canada, it's been around -17 Celsius (about 0 Fahreneit for our american friends) for the last week or so (this is daytime temps so nighttime is even worse).

I have noticed more of a buzzing kinda sound at initial startup every morning. I've also had the instrument panel issue every morning since the temp went below 0.

My oil is pretty fresh (about 2000km) and all my other fluids are in check also.

I havent worried to much about it tho...only thought that crossed my mind was...i wonder if i need to go to a lower viscousity oil (i believe i have 5W in there right now) or perhaps get an oil pan heater for the night.

Here in Niagara Falls, Canada, it's been around -17 Celsius (about 0 Fahreneit for our american friends) for the last week or so (this is daytime temps so nighttime is even worse).

I have noticed more of a buzzing kinda sound at initial startup every morning. I've also had the instrument panel issue every morning since the temp went below 0.

My oil is pretty fresh (about 2000km) and all my other fluids are in check also.

I havent worried to much about it tho...only thought that crossed my mind was...i wonder if i need to go to a lower viscousity oil (i believe i have 5W in there right now) or perhaps get an oil pan heater for the night.

I've had other 400's that i never noticed it( probably because i always had my stereo up) But that does put my mind at ease a little. I keep my fluids fresh aswell. Maybe it could be the oil weight. I have been using the same that i use in the warmer months....hmmmmmm good point;)

92lex you're almost always on point(thanks for the timing B push;) i swear i'm hearing it in the engine compartment though....It doesn't sound like somethings wrong but like everyone else on here i'm on the pasionate pusuit of any noise unfamiliar!

well i live in GA but on cold mornings 25 F my cars belts are a little noisy and i hear a bit of "piston slap"(i think thats what its called) but as soon as the car is warm... everything is quiet and perfect.

I still haven't put my finger on it. The noise i'm hearing is on and off and if i start driving like 10 or 15 seconds after starting it's continuous. After it warms up it sounds fine. I had my head down in the engine compartment this evening(Like a true fanatic:) carefully listening to try and hear where it's coming from. I couldn't tell if it was the powersteering pump or the passenger side if the engine? It almost sounds like a bearing of some sort, but i wouldn't think if it were that it would quiet down after warmup? It's gonna bug me until i find it, and FIX it!!!

Might be the ABS module?

DAMN 92LEX, you were up late lastnight!

My last car (98' GS) Had that going out but it made a sort of chirping noise so i don't think thats it. It did it this morning but after i got to work i had started it a few hours later when the engine was cold again. It wouldn't do it again all day? It was also a little warmer today so the outside temperature must play a role in causing this sound. I'm just gonna deal with it until it's continuous, that way i can find it instead of just speculating! I believe if it's even anything it's probably a bearing of somesort.

I haven't slept because I've been strung out...haha...jk. I'm always up because my shop doesn't open until noon. Having a pregnant fiance doesn't allow me to sleep much either.

Are you sure it's not your belts?

I haven't slept because I've been strung out...haha...jk. I'm always up because my shop doesn't open until noon. Having a pregnant fiance doesn't allow me to sleep much either.

Are you sure it's not your belts?

It didn't make the noise this morning either and it was as cold as any other morning! I'm gonna quit worrying and drive the d@mn thing.....I know I maintain it to the fullest so if and when something needs attention, it will surely get it;)

Ok, maybe i just have a minor case of OCD, but i recently noticed this weird noise after startup and while it's cold( 19f. of colder). I can't describe it other than it comes from the back passenger side of the engine compartment and is a kind of on and off buzzing noise. It also dissapears after warm up. I'm a freak about mantaining my baby so i was wondering if anyone has heard the same noise, or any other that occurs only in the very cold weather? I'm probably overreacting, but please ease my mind. Is this just common for engines to react this way to the cold?

Check out this thread from the ES300 forum for some more opinions about this.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry179357

Let us know if you figure out what causes it.

tck...

Check out this thread from the ES300 forum for some more opinions about this.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...mp;#entry179357

Let us know if you figure out what causes it.

tck...

I had my timing belt/waterpump/tention pulley replaced about 1000mi. ago so its not the pulley bearing. It could however be the tention pulley for the sepentine belt. At any rate i'm just gonna drive it until it makes the noise continuous, then i can fix it and not speculate what it may be.....I've been known to wear my brain out tryin to guess what something is or how serious it is. These cars run like a finely calibrated instrument, so when we hear something unusual it's our instinct to start tripping out! The LOC doubles as a support group for people like us...."Hi i'm Scottelble, and i'm a Lexaholic"

Having lived in very cold climates I know cars do not like cold weather. Belts and fluids (unless synthetic) get thick. I left the Lexus outside in Jersey last weekend and the PS whined like a baby when I started it up. It went away after a while but I do not like noises just the same.

Might be the ABS module?

DAMN 92LEX, you were up late lastnight!

My last car (98' GS) Had that going out but it made a sort of chirping noise so i don't think thats it. It did it this morning but after i got to work i had started it a few hours later when the engine was cold again. It wouldn't do it again all day? It was also a little warmer today so the outside temperature must play a role in causing this sound. I'm just gonna deal with it until it's continuous, that way i can find it instead of just speculating! I believe if it's even anything it's probably a bearing of somesort.

My 98 LS does the same thing. It's been cold this past week in Baltimore. One morning when the temperature meter said it was 14 degrees, my vehicle had a whining noise upon startup. It also depends on how long it's been since you last started your car. If you drove for a long trip, your engine may have gotten hot enough to keep from going into a deep freeze the next time you started it and didn't hear the noise. As for a problem, I haven't had any, I just think the car is extremely cold, even the speedometer lights go into auto dim until it warms up.

Just a quick update...Today was the first fairly mild day today(50+degrees) and NO mysterious noise:) I can't help but think the cold weather played a key role in causing the annoying sound that made me start this thread! I just hope spring will hurry up and get here:)

Ok here is the solution to both isusse in this thread.

The whine on start up is the alternator making the serpentine belt slip . Either replace the belt or check the battery.

Now the solution to the noise on start up is the heat sheild manifold on the exhaust. It only makes noise on startup untilit expands from heat. Once it heats up the natural resonace of the metal changes and no longer rattles.

I have had both issues on my 98 and did not fix the heat sheild yet.

Ok here is the solution to both isusse in this thread.

The whine on start up is the alternator making the serpentine belt slip . Either replace the belt or check the battery.

Now the solution to the noise on start up is the heat sheild manifold on the exhaust. It only makes noise on startup untilit expands from heat. Once it heats up the natural resonace of the metal changes and no longer rattles.

I have had both issues on my 98 and did not fix the heat sheild yet.

SK, You're always on point and no doubt that's probably what it was........I work for a used car dealer and have heard ALOT of heat sheilds rattle over the years ,and it didn't really sound consistant with that typical rattle. The only noise i use to describe it was almost like sipping through a straw when you've ran out of drink? I thought on the first morning that perhaps it was a vacume leak but ruled that out because it only occured briefly then went away. It's getting warmer now but i still listen for it. Thanks for the feedback;)