97 Es300 All 4 Windows Inop

njmurvin

My daughter just called and informed me that - all of the sudden - none of her windows operate. She made sure that the lockout button wasn't enabled. Since it's all 4 windows, I'm guessing fuse. Of course, there might be something nasty causing the fuse to blow (like a short in one of the motors or something). Could it be something else?

Fortunately, they're all in the UP position. She's going to bring it over this weekend for me to take a look.

I'd say it's a fuse, too. Usually instant failure of a whole system is a fuse. It could just be resistance build up in the power window motors heating up the fuse. Are the windows slow to roll up? Taking more power than normal to get them up? Maybe a tight fitting window track?

I'd say it's a fuse, too. Usually instant failure of a whole system is a fuse. It could just be resistance build up in the power window motors heating up the fuse. Are the windows slow to roll up? Taking more power than normal to get them up? Maybe a tight fitting window track?

I haven't driven the car for awhile. She hasn't complained about it being slow. But, that could mean she hasn't noticed or been bothered by it. When I see it this weekend, I'll check the fuse and replace if bad. If it fixes it, I'll take note of the speed or some resistance on any of the windows. Only the driver's side gets used about 99% of the time. I was concerned that there might be a more complicated solution like some kind of master control switching unit or something. I'll be thrilled if it's just a fuse.

• 3 weeks later...

My daughter just called and informed me that - all of the sudden - none of her windows operate. She made sure that the lockout button wasn't enabled. Since it's all 4 windows, I'm guessing fuse. Of course, there might be something nasty causing the fuse to blow (like a short in one of the motors or something). Could it be something else?

Fortunately, they're all in the UP position. She's going to bring it over this weekend for me to take a look.

I am having the same problem with my 98, even the sunroof and the third rear tail light. I am eager to find out what you found out the root of the problem, please share it, as I am at my wits end with this car.

shonuffking

UPDATE!!!!

I finally got a chance to look at her car. We found a burnt 30A fuse in the fuse box located in the dash, left side behind the coin tray (wild location for a fuse box). Anyway, it fixed everything but the driver's side window. So, it looks as if the motor, switch or controller on the driver's side must have shorted out and taken the fuse along with it. Now, with new fuse in place, the driver window is dead - but everything else works.

Any hints on how to troubleshoot which window component is bad?

Also, how hard is it to get the door panel off and what's the best source for a replacement part?

Sounds like the drivers window is your problem , i would start with the wire loom running to the door from the body then check the rest of the door circuit. It is the only window that is based wholly in that door. So you have either a motor or wire problem as a switch usually affects them all.

The door panel comes off pretty quickly (a screw in the handle pull, one up by the sill under a circular plastic cover, and two snap pins in the end edge of the panel). One you get it off, disconnect your wires to your switch array. From there you should be able to pretty quickly determine where the fault is with a multimeter. Look for continuity between pins with regarding the driver's window switch. You can also try applying power to the motor itself (using a separate 12V lead wire) to see if the motor turns or not.

My guess is it's the switch. I had a quirky passenger side switch in the driver's master panel of switches. The switches are well integrated and hard to work on. If it is the switch, best bet is to buy a replacement switch cluster through eBay or a parts place.

• 4 months later...

If that driver's door switch doesn't work, master switch, you might need to replace it. You can buy on ebay, but they all don't work for all models. I think 97-99 and 00-01, some of them will tell you 97-01, please check, another guy told me he bought one that said 97-01 and he tried iit for his 00 and the wiring does not line up nor could he connect the wires.