Improve Soft Ride

cj100

I had the suspension replaced with an OME (Old Man Emu) on my '96 450LX about 3 years ago and it made all of the difference in the world. Before, mine felt like a bass boat in the ocean when running about 65 mph. Now the handling is taut and the ride is a bit firmer but still quite comfortable. As I recall, the whole job costs about $1200 but well worth it. Previously, the Lexus dealer had replaced the shocks with Landcruiser shocks and that helped but not enough.

I had the suspension replaced with an OME (Old Man Emu) on my '96 450LX about 3 years ago and it made all of the difference in the world. Before, mine felt like a bass boat in the ocean when running about 65 mph. Now the handling is taut and the ride is a bit firmer but still quite comfortable. As I recall, the whole job costs about $1200 but well worth it. Previously, the Lexus dealer had replaced the shocks with Landcruiser shocks and that helped but not enough.

thanks jim, was that just the shocks or springs as well. My understanding is that OME makes a number of different shocks for the LX (depending on desired effect i guess), do you recall which ones you got?

tks

thanks jim, was that just the shocks or springs as well. My understanding is that OME makes a number of different shocks for the LX (depending on desired effect i guess), do you recall which ones you got?

tks

I have Old Man Emu shocks and springs on mine, but I know of several people with Bilsteins who are very happy with them.

• 1 month later...

tks

Sorry for the slooooww response. Computer problems and travel have kept me off the forum for a while. Anyway, the OME shocks and suspension I bought was the standard set for 96 LX450, recommended by the 4X4 shop that did the install. They were not extra-stiff or anything like that. Might want to go stiffer if you have a wench, which I didn't.

Old Man Emu (OME) has shocks and springs for the 450 in several heights and spring rates.

if you want to keep your rig as close to stock form as possible, take a look at the 50mm (I'm pretty sure it's 50mm) springs and shocks.

I have the heavy springs (which resulted in aprox 2.5 inches of lift) and shocks.

I always thought people that complained about the stability of these were just extra sensitive to any kind of motion. When I bought my rig, it had original shocks on it and I thought it was very stable. Anyways, I test drove another LX450 this weekend, and I couldn't believe how much it rocked back and forth. Very uncomfortable feeling. The owner said he'd just replaced the shocks and it was much improved over before :huh:. It's surprising to me how there can be so much difference from Cruiser to cruiser.

I replaced my shocks with KYB monomax, which have been fine, but like DJ said, there's been alot of good feedback on Bilsteins (for the daily drivers) and OME (for those into lifts of various degrees).

:cheers:

Rookie