Brake Improvement

cj100

has anyone added steel brake lines? does it make much of a difference?

I've heard of quite a few folks doing it. I don't think any of them would conclusively say it made a substantial difference in regards to braking. The guys that do a lot of off roading like to have stainless, and as a result of a lift, need to change out anyways in order to make them a little bit longer.

• 1 year later...
Check out the Ih8tmud.com website. They are recommend changing the front rotors and pads to the 100 series style. Not just pads but rotors too. I'll be doing my soon and will post some pics later.

I've seen the same thing on there about replacing the rotors when you replace the pads. Not sure I understand the need for that. I've had the 100 series pads on the stock rotors for 30k with no problems and lots of wear left. I think those guys can be a little over the top on replacing stuff, which is fine if you've got extra money floating around and just want all new stuff. If so, why stop there... get new calipers, master cylinder and brake booster.

Regards,

Rookie

• 1 month later...
has anyone added steel brake lines? does it make much of a difference?

I bought rotors and pads from www.sleeoffroad.com as recommended by an LX450 owner. The difference was an marked improvement compared to the OEM offering.

• 4 months later...
Check out the Ih8tmud.com website. They are recommend changing the front rotors and pads to the 100 series style. Not just pads but rotors too. I'll be doing my soon and will post some pics later.

okay - let's clarify this a bit...

this should read --

new 100 series brake pads with new 80 series rotors.

not new 100 series brake pads with new 100 series rotors.

the 100 series brake pads would be the ones used on 98 and 99 LX 470/Land Cruisers