Overheating!

94LexusES

I drove the Lexus last night and it was fine. I drive it this morning and it overheats. It was all the way up to H and i had to creep into a parking lot. My coolant was boiling. It was extremely cold last night, around 20 degrees. Maybe less. Is my thermostat frozen? Broken? Any ideas?

I read some previous posts but i'm not sure on what to do exactly. I've had this car for over a year now with no problems. The fact that it has 192k on it might be a problem. :-p

I drove the Lexus last night and it was fine. I drive it this morning and it overheats. It was all the way up to H and i had to creep into a parking lot. My coolant was boiling. It was extremely cold last night, around 20 degrees. Maybe less. Is my thermostat frozen? Broken? Any ideas?

I read some previous posts but i'm not sure on what to do exactly. I've had this car for over a year now with no problems. The fact that it has 192k on it might be a problem. :-p

Possibly your thermostat, or a coolant leak somewhere in the system, or your water pump is shot.

Maybe get a pressure test done on it to find the leak, if one exists. Any auto repair shop should be able to do the test and it shouldn't cost much.

If it's your water pump, then it's also a good time to replace your timing belt, if it hasn't been done already.

My ES has 408,000 kilometers on the odometer so your car is like just broken in ! LOL :)

Good luck.

hey,

My 92 did tyhis the 3rd day i bought it, Had to get a tow,

It is your waterpump, and do change your belts.

good luck , it costed me all my summer checks it was $741.85

And this wasent even at the dealers, it was at a shop, and if your replacing your timing belt go with the timing belt kit and replace your timing belt pulley, the idiot didnt do that when he did mine and 3 months later i had to go through the whole process.

Hope this helped.

Quit driving it until you sort it out, or you'll warp a had & blow a head gasket when it overheats.

Replace the thermostat, pressure caps & flush the coolant.

Make sure the fan operates on high when it should. (Bridge OP1 & E1).

Check the water pump & radiator.

Get the code for the check engine light.

The code for the check engine like would be for excessive flow. I replaced the PCV valve, did a pressure test, my radiator was completely cracked and rusted, i had a new radiator put in, it runs like it did a couple days ago now.

I have a 92' lexus Es300 and had the same problem. At first we found out the hose leading from the power steering to the fan was leaking so we replaced that to keep the prerssure as its suppossed to be. I drove for a day the overheating and coolant boiling flared back up. Long story short we found out why... It was something as simple as a the cooling Fan ECU. One of those battery looking electrodes had blown making the fan not kick in to cool the car when its suppossed to. Chk on that it may save some dough. The only thing is that its embedded deep in to the dash by glove compartment you and that may be the bulk of your labor.