After 5 Months - My Es350 Is Going Back!

rocketmatt

Well...I read the threads, took the test drive and bought a 350 back in Sept. 06. My previous car was an '04 LS.

Candidly, this K car has been a huge disappointment and will likely be th end for me and Lexus.

Here is my story.

1) On delivery, the Navigation Voice Command did not work.

2) The drivers side air vent was loose and constantly coming away from the dash.

3) There were TWO separate rattles coming from under the dash.

4) The drivers seat memory did not work.

5) The headlights were completely out of aim.

After three separate trips to fix these items, the headlights are still dangerously dark (they tell me is a design flaw in the high end "moving" headlights) and I feel at risk every night I drive the car. And, the Navigation Voice Command is entirely useless, even though they say it's now "updated"

The worst part is, I live in Denver and everything this car touches, destroys it.

Since my purchase, both my rear muds flaps have disappeared. My front bumper was "demolished" just my rubbing on a snow pile while parking AND the entire "plastic" strip that runs below the driver's side door is loose and damaged to the point of replacement.

After taking the car to a body shop for an estimate that totaled over 2K in repairs, I was told that this car is being reported as "flimsy" and "fragile".

Personally, I'm done. Just thought I'd share.

This "toyota" may run well, but I can't help but be envious of my "American" car driver friends who seem to still have cars that feel like cars, and not plastic toys.

Rocketmatt,

Sorry to hear that you have had so many troubles. I have had the ES-3350 for nine months now and though I have had few mechanical problems I do have some design complaints:

- The navigation system is cumbersome to operate and the many times it can not find an address, Took a trip to Chicago and did a sise by side comparison with the Lexus system and my son in laws new Garmin Nueve. The Garmin not only programed faster but never failed to find the location. The Garmin cost 800.00. Going to inquire if Lexus will update the discs, mine act like they are 1970 circa.

- Plastic mud flaps and front wheel well covers are cheap. I live in ST Louis with very little snow and I notice that these faciers are deteriating.

- Interior lighting is poor. Especialy overhead controls. It is very difficult to find the garage door buttons at night.

- The ride is to soft. Drove my buddies 2006 Cadilac SRT. What a great drive! The Lexus is to soft but my wife likes it.

Overall I like the car but if I could convince my wife I would shop for a different brand when this lease is up. My honest opinion.

Navsafe

man...i think lexus dropped the ball on this car. there have been so many complaints about quality. toyota and lexus are taking a big hit this year (2006). its a shame.

dont let this experience keep you away from lexus, especially if you had a good experience with the LS. And remember to always not buy the first year model.

Remember that Lexus has sold more ES350s than they have EVER sold ES' before. Yes there are some squabbles, but there have ALWAYS been squabbles about the ES and RX because of the sheer number of them on the road in comparison to the number of the other models on the road. The ES always ranks really high in owner satisfaction and it has an extremely high recapture rate (percentage of people who buy another one). The satisfied people FAR FAR outweigh the ones with issues.

And these aren't 2006 model cars...they're 2007 model cars.

I bet this guy's problem is that a $40,000 car isn't so appealing after being used to a $70,000 car.

Remember that Lexus has sold more ES350s than they have EVER sold ES' before. Yes there are some squabbles, but there have ALWAYS been squabbles about the ES and RX because of the sheer number of them on the road in comparison to the number of the other models on the road. The ES always ranks really high in owner satisfaction and it has an extremely high recapture rate (percentage of people who buy another one). The satisfied people FAR FAR outweigh the ones with issues.

And these aren't 2006 model cars...they're 2007 model cars.

I bet this guy's problem is that a $40,000 car isn't so appealing after being used to a $70,000 car.

SW- I don't see that. He is not comparing the LS and the ES. From what I have read he is just unhappy with the car and the problems he is having with it. Sure the ride would be different in a LS than an ES...but that is not what he is complaining about...or at least I do not think so??? :huh::huh:

Here is my story.

1) On delivery, the Navigation Voice Command did not work.

2) The drivers side air vent was loose and constantly coming away from the dash.

3) There were TWO separate rattles coming from under the dash.

4) The drivers seat memory did not work.

5) The headlights were completely out of aim.

SW- I don't see that. He is not comparing the LS and the ES. From what I have read he is just unhappy with the car and the problems he is having with it. Sure the ride would be different in a LS than an ES...but that is not what he is complaining about...or at least I do not think so??? :huh::huh:

Lets wait and see what he says.

The cars are just different, and next to an LS the ES feels "fragile".

If you noticed, the guy that started this thread has only one post! He probably doesn't own or owned an LS, and he just posted to start negative feelings towards the ES350. He most likely will not return to this site. He might work for a competing manufacturer. :chairshot: LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say the car is fragile.........

compared to the es300. Now this is more apples-apples.

at 67000 miles, my es300 feels more solid than this 350.

also, from the loaner car I have, the wood & plastic on the center console isn't too good, and squeaks a little on very slightly rough roads. when you push on the wood, it makes the same squeaks.

so yeah, in that sense, it is more fragile.

I thought the old LS started at something like 55k. Did the most expensive package really bring it up all the way to 70,000?

I'd say the car is fragile.........

compared to the es300. Now this is more apples-apples.

at 67000 miles, my es300 feels more solid than this 350.

also, from the loaner car I have, the wood & plastic on the center console isn't too good, and squeaks a little on very slightly rough roads. when you push on the wood, it makes the same squeaks.

so yeah, in that sense, it is more fragile.

I have noticed that the interior materials do seem more fragile than those on mine, but do you get a sense that the entire car seems more fragile?

Keep in mind also that your 350 is a loaner, and loaners get beat on mercilessly.

I thought the old LS started at something like 55k. Did the most expensive package really bring it up all the way to 70,000?

The $55k car is completely base with no nav. The most common car was what was called a "Nav/Lev" car in 04, and from 05-06 a "Modern Luxury" car. this has smart access, navigation, Levinson, heated & cooled seats etc and that car was about $65k. The Ultra Luxury package car fully loaded was like $73k. Most LS's were in the mid 60s as far as price, the UL is pretty rare, so is the $55k car though.

I have noticed that the interior materials do seem more fragile than those on mine, but do you get a sense that the entire car seems more fragile?

I'll answer that with a resounding HELL YES it seems more fragile. And this is only based on my own ES350 precious baby. It feels/sounds like the interior plastic panels are gonna pop off any minute when going over small bumps.

Of course, they don't fall off. But the es300 feels sooo much more solid than my 350.

Hello All:

Sorry for the delay. I was away for a bit.

After reading your replies, I wish I owned a company with customers this concerned in its welfare.

To answer some questions...

1) I DID like my LS. However, I am only 38 y/o and the car simply make me feel too old. The quality was there, but the thrill factors was very low.

2) I DO like the ride of the ES, even compared to my old LS, and believe it or not, I do not compare the two cars at all. I was glad to move to a more youthful look and did not look back.

I still have my ES and since my last post my dash noises have multipled. I am off to find another purchase and trade this car in (at a huge loss I'm sure). It just makes me crazy to drive a car this expensive (950.00 / month) that has so many problems and makes me so crazy to own.

I am taking the advice of one poster and trying to avoid another "1st year" purchase again. What a disappointment.

Ralph.

Lets wait and see what he says.

The cars are just different, and next to an LS the ES feels "fragile".

• 9 months later...

:unsure:

Wow, can't believe there's so many complaints; I absolutely adore my car! I have an '08 ES 350 UL Package fully loaded(Black Sapphire Pearl/cashmere int.), so maybe it's the difference in year(got it Oct 5th '07). My previous car was a 2000 Lexus Es300 Platinum Edition. My only complaint is the ASL on the Mark Levinson system. I don't think mine is working right, but I will have it looked at when I go to the Lexus Owners Welcome in mid December. I will also agree that the Navigation isn't so great(would be awesome to have the option for the passenger to be able to operate it while in motion), but I don't use it that much. Overall, it's an amazing car. I live in Atlanta, GA, so snow isn't an issue -- just bumpy-messed up roads from all the work they're doing in the city! Atlantans know what I'm talking about! I've even driven through AL to Hattiesburg, MS for Thanksgiving with no complaints - so smooth of a ride, I got a ticket in AL thinking I wasn't going so fast! I'll update in a few more months. :D

• 2 weeks later...
:unsure:

Wow, can't believe there's so many complaints; I absolutely adore my car! I have an '08 ES 350 UL Package fully loaded(Black Sapphire Pearl/cashmere int.), so maybe it's the difference in year(got it Oct 5th '07). My previous car was a 2000 Lexus Es300 Platinum Edition. My only complaint is the ASL on the Mark Levinson system. I don't think mine is working right, but I will have it looked at when I go to the Lexus Owners Welcome in mid December. I will also agree that the Navigation isn't so great(would be awesome to have the option for the passenger to be able to operate it while in motion), but I don't use it that much. Overall, it's an amazing car. I live in Atlanta, GA, so snow isn't an issue -- just bumpy-messed up roads from all the work they're doing in the city! Atlantans know what I'm talking about! I've even driven through AL to Hattiesburg, MS for Thanksgiving with no complaints - so smooth of a ride, I got a ticket in AL thinking I wasn't going so fast! I'll update in a few more months. :D

See, now this is what happens every time I buy a new car: I search the internet to find a forum where I can share experiences with other enthusiasts, and what I find instead - every time - is that it's just a place for crackpots to hangout and whine about how [insert manufaturer here] isn't kissing their a$$ just like they like it. And if it's not some troll who doesn't even own the car, it's owners with the previous generation model hanging around for no other reason than to insert their criticisms into every thread. Total broken record.

I bought an '08 Tundra yesterday, maybe that'll be my last-hope auto forum if I can find one.

I am sorry that some have had problems with their ES350's. I have not had a single problem or failure of any kind with mine. It has proven to be well-fitted, reliable, comfortable and enjoyable to drive.

Most first year models produce minor maladies. They can usually be correted at the dealership However, it seems that the 2007 ES350 has suffered from a number of severe mechanical problems; especially regarding the transmission. This hit or miss, depending on build date, creates great concern and frustration among owners.

Fortunately, my ES350 has been a better first year model for me than those American, Audi or BMW brands I have owned.

If I have any complaint, it is with the interior lighting. As others have said, the lack of good illumination at the various home garage or entry gate buttons is pathetic. After six months of ownership, I still fumble with the buttons during night time when I try to open my garage.

Outside of this minor inconvenience, I am well satisfied with my ES350.

I am sorry that some have had problems with their ES350's. I have not had a single problem or failure of any kind with mine. It has proven to be well-fitted, reliable, comfortable and enjoyable to drive.

Most first year models produce minor maladies. They can usually be correted at the dealership However, it seems that the 2007 ES350 has suffered from a number of severe mechanical problems; especially regarding the transmission. This hit or miss, depending on build date, creates great concern and frustration among owners.

Fortunately, my ES350 has been a better first year model for me than those American, Audi or BMW brands I have owned.

If I have any complaint, it is with the interior lighting. As others have said, the lack of good illumination at the various home garage or entry gate buttons is pathetic. After six months of ownership, I still fumble with the buttons during night time when I try to open my garage.

I am with you Shep, I have just over 5K miles on my 08 ES, and I am so happy with it! All I read on this site is how people dislike the nav lock out while driving (we are an over-litigious society, I am suing Samsung because I dropped the phone on my foot and broke the foot. But since they didn't tell me this could happen, well, you know... JK), or the headlights are too low or have a dramatic cut off, or service techs that can't find what people are complaining about with their cars, or on and on and on. I am very happy with my car, my wife and I had two Honda Accords in our garage. They were great! Now we have a Lexus and a US made full-size SUV. The ES is so much more of a car than the Accords that we had, engine, transmission, interior, everything! The Nav system is great, I wish I could use it more, I need to do more road trips.

I used to work for GM a long time ago and could not understand why people had such a stigma against American cars, but if I were to choose between a Lexus or the Cadillac (which has a couple better features like more HP and a 40 G HD that you can get in other Lexus models), I would go with the Lexus (obviously since that's what I got), I think it is better built. So, if you think the grass is greener on the other side, then go, jump that fence, join their forum, and post your complaints there!

I do have issues with it, but nothing different than what I had with previous cars. Service so far has been great, better than the Honda or GM dealerships so far. My issues, the interior lighting for the openers and sun/moon roof buttons, and a slight creek from the driver's side window (working to resolve that). BTW, the Hondas did not have those lit either...

I am with you Shep, I have just over 5K miles on my 08 ES, and I am so happy with it! All I read on this site is how people dislike the nav lock out while driving (we are an over-litigious society, I am suing Samsung because I dropped the phone on my foot and broke the foot. But since they didn't tell me this could happen, well, you know... JK), or the headlights are too low or have a dramatic cut off, or service techs that can't find what people are complaining about with their cars, or on and on and on. I am very happy with my car, my wife and I had two Honda Accords in our garage. They were great! Now we have a Lexus and a US made full-size SUV. The ES is so much more of a car than the Accords that we had, engine, transmission, interior, everything! The Nav system is great, I wish I could use it more, I need to do more road trips.

I used to work for GM a long time ago and could not understand why people had such a stigma against American cars, but if I were to choose between a Lexus or the Cadillac (which has a couple better features like more HP and a 40 G HD that you can get in other Lexus models), I would go with the Lexus (obviously since that's what I got), I think it is better built. So, if you think the grass is greener on the other side, then go, jump that fence, join their forum, and post your complaints there!

I do have issues with it, but nothing different than what I had with previous cars. Service so far has been great, better than the Honda or GM dealerships so far. My issues, the interior lighting for the openers and sun/moon roof buttons, and a slight creek from the driver's side window (working to resolve that). BTW, the Hondas did not have those lit either...

I am with you both as well. The problem with forums is that too many of the people who join do so to complain. I have an 07 and I am loving it.

I'll offer some positive feedback as well.

I recently changed the oil for the second time, which means our 07 ES350 has about 11K miles. It has only seen unleaded gas, and I'm considering putting synthetic oil at the next oil change.

We bought up, from an 89 Corolla, then a 98 Sienna. Our ES350 runs, knock on wood, very smooth. The only tinkering I have done is to raise the headlight beam. The engine accelerates strongly and deliberately when asked to do so. Transmission shifts smoothly; but I find it doesn't shift as fast as I'd like it to. We agree the inside lighting is a weak point - the LED lights don't illuminate much, and I don't understand why the rear passengers are not allowed to turn on a dome/map light.

We don't have the navigation system - we don't need it as we use a Garmin StreetPilot 2610 that we can move from car to car (I have an 07 Tacoma). Overall, we are very happy with the ES. It's has been trouble free; hope this trend continues.

In the 08 they took out the hook for hangers and put a reading light. The same white LEDs that people complain about but I like their subtle brightness! I just don't have a hook to hang my dry cleaning, which is a little of a bummer, I have to hang it on the "oh sh!@" handle above the door.

What else do I love? The compliments, how many times do people say, "Nice car!" I have to get it washed, we just had 5 days of rain in Arizona, my car needs some scrubbin!!!

In the 08 they took out the hook for hangers and put a reading light. The same white LEDs that people complain about but I like their subtle brightness! I just don't have a hook to hang my dry cleaning, which is a little of a bummer, I have to hang it on the "oh sh!@" handle above the door.

What else do I love? The compliments, how many times do people say, "Nice car!" I have to get it washed, we just had 5 days of rain in Arizona, my car needs some scrubbin!!!

I also like the interior white LED lights for the same reason. You can turn one on and drive with it if you need a bit of light, and it won't distract. When I need more light, I simply use the one on the mirror that is on the visor on the driver's or passenger's side or both.

Well let's see. I had a Cadillac. A big one. Worst car I ever owned. Check engine light always came on dealer could never figure it out. Decided to change the transmission. roof leaked every time it rained. Load leveling kept failing. Hey my bad luck doesn't mean everyone will have a lemon. Moved up to a certified preowned LS.(02) Great car. Traded for a new 05 ES 330. Not so happy. don't know why maybe coming from an LS but don't think so. Traded up, in my opinion WAY up, to an 07 ES 350. Great car!. keep your Cadillacs. Keep your LS. The ES is great.