Infinite Baffle Sub?

Hey everybody,

I'm really new to this forum. I joined because I just bought a 92 SC400 and the Nakamichi system is toast. Next week I'm replacing the entire thing with aftermarket. I'm not a huge audio nut, so I don't know much about free air subs. Any advice, commentary to add? Mistakes not to make? Subs that worked well for you? Thanks.

Welcome to the club. There are lots of options. If you are truly replacing everything, I would suggest going to an enclosed sub box in the turnk - a custom unit or whatever with two high quality 10" or 12" subs. Leave the stock speaker holes in the rear deck open for air movement - the head unit and components are up to you or the recommendations of your sound guys. Or you can go with the free air in the stock location, but not many will fit. I know kicker makes a competition 10" that will fit. Just consult with a reputable sound installation guy or do a lot of research depending on your goal. I'm not big on sound systems either. Check out our audio/video forum too. Good luck.

I've replaced my stock 10 with a Sony Xplod Polygon 10" and let's just say it was the hardest install I've ever done.

With some tweaking and the removal of the 3rd brakelight, I cleared the gas tank by 1/32 of an inch.

It sounds pretty good but I think in the end I'm going to do what AWJ suggested (my idea anyways :P )

I suggest you try something similar.

If you really need your trunk space for something else, get a competition single 10" in a box.

I used to have a monster system in my camaro pushing 143 dB SPL and one time got beat by a Mercedes running 1 10"

When they first put him up against me, I almost dies of laughter. When he hit 144.3, I almost cried.

Kinda embarrasing for 2 12"s to get beaten by a 10" but that's only cuz i $pent about a quarter of what he did.