Abs / Trac Off Questions

Anfro

Hello! I have an 02 IS and just this morning my Brake Light came on, as well as the ABS light. My Trac Off light is now blinking. The car ran fine just last night, but this morning I have all these lights. I read through this forum and assume I need to take my car in to have the trouble codes read, however I have a few other questions. If I need new brakes how much do they usually run? I know this being a Lexus I may have to pay 10 times more for the parts than I would for a regular Toyota, is this the case? Would the brakes being bad cause the Trac Off light to flash? I had the car tuned up (new plugs and wires) just last week and I would assume that this tune up would not cause my brake lights to come on, or maybe so? Do these lights come on automatically at some mileage interval for maintenance reasons, and if so, how are they reset? Thanks for the help!

I will attempt to answer some of these questions: I don't know how much brakes would run. If it has been a while, they may try to sell you rotors which can sometimes be resurfaced.

Would the brakes being bad cause the light to flash? It shouldn't.

You had the car tuned/assume it would not cause the lights to flash or maybe so? If something was accidently unplugged, you should have got a light in the dash right a way instead of a week later.

Do the lights come on automatically at an interval/resettable? I believe only the MAINT REQD light is the only reesettable light w/o disconnecting the battery that comes on at intervals. Brakes wear differently for all drivers depending on how/where you drive. They also have a built in, very audible noise maker that hits the rotor when you brake, causing pain to sensitive ears, letting you know it is time to change the brakes.

I think you have a different problem instead of worn discs. Maybe it could be low pressure in the master cylinder? That could cause a BRAKE light. The ABS light is for the Anti Lock Brakes. So obvoiusly there is a problem maybe not necessarily with the actual discs, but the electronics or a relay. I think the TRAC OFF light is giving a code.

Hope this helps.

You may have a bad or just disconnected wheel rotation sensor. Trac works by using the ABS system and a bad sensor might set off the lights you have.

First you could try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the negative (black) wire from the battery for about 10 minutes and then reconnecting. The warning lights may go out. However if they come back on in a few miles, then there is a problem.

You can get the error codes read for fee at a local auto parts store like Autozone, etc. That will at least narrow down the location of the problem.

If all else fails you can get Lexus to diagnose, but you don't necessarily have to get it fixed there, depending on what it is. There are indpendent shops and some Toyota dealers who can repair for less.

• 5 months later...
You may have a bad or just disconnected wheel rotation sensor. Trac works by using the ABS system and a bad sensor might set off the lights you have.

First you could try resetting the ECU by disconnecting the negative (black) wire from the battery for about 10 minutes and then reconnecting. The warning lights may go out. However if they come back on in a few miles, then there is a problem.

You can get the error codes read for fee at a local auto parts store like Autozone, etc. That will at least narrow down the location of the problem.

If all else fails you can get Lexus to diagnose, but you don't necessarily have to get it fixed there, depending on what it is. There are indpendent shops and some Toyota dealers who can repair for less.

I also own a 02 is300 that has the exact same problems ur having. Braking lights, traction control, and abs lights are also on, it's also making a lot of brake noises, and i thought that it might of been the sensors problem or brake is low, so i orderd a set of new brake pads for the fronts, and after replacing the pads and taking it out for a test drive, and in a instant i notice my brake paddle is very very soft no braking power at all. I have to brake really hard in order to stop the car . i don't have a clue whats going on. Could it be the master cylinder i need some help..!!!

okay heres the deal. you just had the tune up done, the problem is probably a cracked plug of a smashed electrode. lots of people have a problem with this in the number four cylinder because they try to use a shortcut without completely removing the intake manifold to change the plugs. second if you dont put the plug wires on securely with boot grease and you wash your engine you will arc out the spark causing a misfire. this can set the check engine light, however will generally set the trac and abs lights since they both work with the engine causing intentional misfires to slow your vehicle down in a situation where you lose traction to the wheels. this assists the stopping of your vehicle in panic situations. second, to gain the pressure back on the pedal you need to gravity bleed your brake system, do not use a power system, simply open the filler cap and all of the bleed screws in sequence farthest from master cylinder to closest to cylinder. be sure you never let the resevior emply as this will creat problems.

Hello! I have an 02 IS and just this morning my Brake Light came on, as well as the ABS light. My Trac Off light is now blinking. The car ran fine just last night, but this morning I have all these lights. I read through this forum and assume I need to take my car in to have the trouble codes read, however I have a few other questions. If I need new brakes how much do they usually run? I know this being a Lexus I may have to pay 10 times more for the parts than I would for a regular Toyota, is this the case? Would the brakes being bad cause the Trac Off light to flash? I had the car tuned up (new plugs and wires) just last week and I would assume that this tune up would not cause my brake lights to come on, or maybe so? Do these lights come on automatically at some mileage interval for maintenance reasons, and if so, how are they reset? Thanks for the help!

I had the same problem but my car ran at high idle (up than down). My Batt light was on too. I replaced my Alt. and was good to go. The TRAC and ABS CHECK ENG lights came off. If your BATT light is not on you may have another problem than I did. To reset most codes you can purchase a OBDII reader at any auto parts store for about 100.00 usd or go to the shop and pay 65.00 to 95.00 to reset the codes.

• 7 months later...

I had my car checked and fixed for some electrical problems like the cruize control not working but that is all ok now. But the traction off button will not work still for some reason, but the snow button right next to it does work. Does anyone know what i could look at to try to get this problem solved??