Engine Stall Problems...

bracker7

I'm a newbie to this site so sorry if i posted in the wrong spot...anyway, I have a 92 es 300 with 203400 miles on it. Anyway, the car is in great shape and was running fine until i tried to fix it. Basically, when the car was sitting at idle it had a hard time not stalling. I performed a tune up and this did not fix it...while performing the tune up i found an exhaust problem so i had to replace the pipes before the catalytic converter. This really helped the car out, but still had a problem keeping a constant revolution. Let me add that the car was still drivable just a a noticable stutter when starting the car and when first taking off. Once up to speed it ran great. Now when i start the car it revs up and immediately stalls, but if i start it and put my foot on the gas it stays on and as long as i am quick with the gas pedal i can drive it but still run the risk of stalling when i am at a complete stop...anyway, i checked the battery and alternator and all is in good working condition....I am not getting any codes either and i am beginning to think it could be a sensor. i know there could be many different things, but i was hoping some one out there could help me think of some other possibilities. Thanks again... Bracker

That wont fix your problem

I got a 92 es300 with 168,000

and ive spent every paycheck on it and than som

Your problem is Your Idle air control valve

Which is real expensive

Dont buy from dealer or its gonna be 800

Get it on line and take it to a shop and get it put on for 40$.

Cheapest way to go.

put it this way to you,

I changed my mass air flow, it didnt do anything to fix it.

1st thing to do is take off your idle air control valve and clean it bc it has carbon built up and 80% of the times that'll fix it and you wont need a new one.

Let me know how it goes.

I have the same problem, except the car "jerks" while driving in addition to the stalling engine problem... I believe the problem to be the air fuel ratio sensors and the oxygen sensor.... If anyone would be willing to help me out, how do I go about removing the AFRS and oxygen sensor? I have a 1999 es300. I plan on buying OE parts, but would appreciate help on removing them so that I don't inadvertently damage my car...Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Shayan,

When i get to it i will tell you how it goes...i have 3 other non-lexus vehicles issues i need to tend to first. What is the best way to clean the hose? That would be awesome if that is what i need to do, although i do have a problem when i go to hit the gas it jerks a little bit...so i see why it could be the O2, at the same time when i am running on the interstate i am getting my expected gas mileage...thanks for the info and take it easy.

I'm a newbie to this site so sorry if i posted in the wrong spot...anyway, I have a 92 es 300 with 203400 miles on it. Anyway, the car is in great shape and was running fine until i tried to fix it. Basically, when the car was sitting at idle it had a hard time not stalling. I performed a tune up and this did not fix it...while performing the tune up i found an exhaust problem so i had to replace the pipes before the catalytic converter. This really helped the car out, but still had a problem keeping a constant revolution. Let me add that the car was still drivable just a a noticable stutter when starting the car and when first taking off. Once up to speed it ran great. Now when i start the car it revs up and immediately stalls, but if i start it and put my foot on the gas it stays on and as long as i am quick with the gas pedal i can drive it but still run the risk of stalling when i am at a complete stop...anyway, i checked the battery and alternator and all is in good working condition....I am not getting any codes either and i am beginning to think it could be a sensor. i know there could be many different things, but i was hoping some one out there could help me think of some other possibilities. Thanks again... Bracker

I had the same problem as you mention. These were the problem my car have; sometimes stalls when i accelerate, stalling at stop light, and sometime a little stalling during driving on the freeway.

I had tried to fix this problem by cleaning the EGA valve, but no luck. I finally able to fix this problem by simply change the Water Temperature Sensor(EFI System), i found this out by reading some Toyota forum where a lot of people have the same problem with their 92-93 Toyota Camry V6. It sounds weird, but this sensor mess up the ECU which cause the stalling. The sensor itself is very cheap too, it only cost me $20 at Napa Auto parts. Save me a lot of headache any money. Hope this would help.☺

put it this way to you,

I changed my mass air flow, it didnt do anything to fix it.

1st thing to do is take off your idle air control valve and clean it bc it has carbon built up and 80% of the times that'll fix it and you wont need a new one.

Let me know how it goes.

Shayan,

What is the best way to clean the IAC valve? compressed air...I want to do it this weekend as i miss driving the lexus. stupid SUV is eating all my gas money! Also, i shopped around looking for a new one and the lowest i could find was about $200...you think any salvage yards would have any? I'm hoping if i clean it out it purrs like a kitten again.

-bracker