03 Rx300 Oil Leak Rear Main @ 80k ?

Magnoman

I have a 03 RX300 with 80k on it and noticed a oil burning smell at a light . I look under the car and found a few drips right where the trans meets the engine? Can this be a rear main at 80K ? the car has been pampered and used nothing but Mobil 1 ...

it could very well be the rear main... make sure that it isn't dripping from somewhere higher up... I'd be suprised if it wasn't dripping then all of the sudden started coming out at a noticeable pace, also, mobil 1 and synthetic oils are fantastic and I swear by them. However, they are also thinner so it's easier for them to get through small spaces and leak.... there greatest asset is their greatest downfall.... Do an inspection and see if you can find oil anywhere else above it, if not then wipe it all off/clean it up (check your oil level) and start the car for a minute and watch underneath and make sure that's really where it's coming from, if it is then you may have a rear main problem...

• 1 month later...

it could very well be the rear main... make sure that it isn't dripping from somewhere higher up... I'd be suprised if it wasn't dripping then all of the sudden started coming out at a noticeable pace, also, mobil 1 and synthetic oils are fantastic and I swear by them. However, they are also thinner so it's easier for them to get through small spaces and leak.... there greatest asset is their greatest downfall.... Do an inspection and see if you can find oil anywhere else above it, if not then wipe it all off/clean it up (check your oil level) and start the car for a minute and watch underneath and make sure that's really where it's coming from, if it is then you may have a rear main problem...

If the car has less than 80,000 miles, you might be able to get the leak fixed under warranty. My 2000 RX300 developed a rear seal leak at 79,200 miles. I brought it to the dealer and he fixed it under warranty, no questions asked. While I hate the cost of most Lexus repairs, they tend to do a great job with real warranty situations.

• 1 month later...

If the car has less than 80,000 miles, you might be able to get the leak fixed under warranty. My 2000 RX300 developed a rear seal leak at 79,200 miles. I brought it to the dealer and he fixed it under warranty, no questions asked. While I hate the cost of most Lexus repairs, they tend to do a great job with real warranty situations.

Ouch.......if it is the rear main....you MIGHT have to remove the tranny...actually you do, ......before you do anything....VERIFY THE LOCATION OF THE LEAK.....the leak could be coming from the rear head gasket or any other place behind and below the intake area. Good luck...I sure hope it is not the main seal because it is NOT A FUN PROJECT.....