Power Steering Return Hose

91LexusLS400

I'm doing the power steering flush shown on lexls.com (thank you) and the reservoir hose would not come off without being destroyed. Very brittle. Lexus only sells the entire return line as a complete unit (hose/metal tubing/hose), $135. OUCH!

Is it possible to use standard bulk powersteering hose to run from the metal tubing up to the reservoir? I know that it's not the fancy pre-bent hose with the protective sheathing, but it's just a low pressure return line. Thanks!

If this is just the little loop of hose about 1.5 feet long under the car attached with just spring clamps , then yes. This hose sprung a huge leak on my car and I replaced it with generic hose. The original hose had a layer of thick foam around the part that bends to prevent kinks. You could probably duplicate this with an additional length of wider hose.

On of the best, cheapest, effective repairs you can do!

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

If this is just the little loop of hose about 1.5 feet long under the car attached with just spring clamps , then yes. This hose sprung a huge leak on my car and I replaced it with generic hose. The original hose had a layer of thick foam around the part that bends to prevent kinks. You could probably duplicate this with an additional length of wider hose.

On of the best, cheapest, effective repairs you can do!

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. So you've run this generic hose with no problems/leaks? I figure if the genric hose is made a little longer, kinks won't be a problem. I thought the protective coating was for heat protection, but the kink idea sounds more reasonable.

Yes, that's the one I'm referring to. So you've run this generic hose with no problems/leaks? I figure if the genric hose is made a little longer, kinks won't be a problem. I thought the protective coating was for heat protection, but the kink idea sounds more reasonable.

No problems, no leaks. I reused the same spring clamps also. You could put new hose clamps to be sure. I just took the old hose to Autozone to find a similar size. You might experiment with different lengths to find the optimum length, only a few bucks.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

• 2 months later...

No problems, no leaks. I reused the same spring clamps also. You could put new hose clamps to be sure. I just took the old hose to Autozone to find a similar size. You might experiment with different lengths to find the optimum length, only a few bucks.

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

I need to replace the reservoir hose on my 1993 LS. This thread is very helpful. Any tips on removing the lower end of the hose? It looks like it's going to be a bear to get at.

The generic hose is fine. I just rebuilt my pump too and the replacement hose was less than $4. You just gotta start removing stuff till you can get at it -mainly its the air filter assy. and mass airflow meter with hose. Cut the old hose off and reuse the heat shield.