Throttle Position Sensor

scotty2hottyoki

• 3 weeks later...

91 LS400, 155K miles.

Any ideas how to test or adjust the TRAC sensor referred to in the above post?

I cleaned out my throttle body today. The plan actually was to replace the TPS (one closer to the engine), because of TRAC light and code 41. But while I was at it, I decided to clean the TB. Used a whole can of the cleaner stuff. Quite a mess.

Anyways, the TB is nice and shiny now. Began to put the new TPS (part #89452-22090 per LexLs Tutorial). If I adjust the TPS per the tutorial, the engine revs at over 3K. Tried several times and RPMs would jump around between 1.8K to over 3K. I wasn't sure if this was due to mis-setting of the TPS or the TRAC sensor.

So I put my old TPS (part #89452-12050) back in.

And I put both sensors in WITHOUT engaging the "metal prongs" that control the valve, and that got the RPM down to a more reasonable 750. I drove the car around a bit and it drives as it always did (maybe a little easier because of the clean TB :P ).

Any ideas on how to adjust these two sensors? I can retry the TPS using the lexls tutorial but need assistance on the TRAC.

BTW, the TRAC light remains on now right from when I start the the engine. Previously, it would come on after driving a few miles. Haven't rechecked the code lately.

Thanks in advance.

• 3 months later...

I second this. Does anyone know how to adjust the TRAC sensor? Although my TRAC light is not on, there is an audible clicking noise whenever I turn the key to the ACC position that was not there before I cleaned the throttle body (and stupidly removed the two sensors).

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 10 years later...

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would resolve it as I had the issue myself and found no answer on the forums.

If you  hear a loud ticking from the TB area and you have trac mounted to the throttle body, there is a good chance that your traction pot is out of alignment. If the part is not broken it is an easy fix.

TO diagnose that this is your ticking, disconnect the cable a the rear of the TB, not the 2 o n the pots, the one connected towards the cabin, just above the plastic airflow assembly. 

Set the ignition to on and see if the ticking is gone. If it is, you need to realign the trac pot

• 2 years later...
On 7/12/2017 at 10:35 PM, Moarpower said:

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would resolve it as I had the issue myself and found no answer on the forums.

If you  hear a loud ticking from the TB area and you have trac mounted to the throttle body, there is a good chance that your traction pot is out of alignment. If the part is not broken it is an easy fix.

TO diagnose that this is your ticking, disconnect the cable a the rear of the TB, not the 2 o n the pots, the one connected towards the cabin, just above the plastic airflow assembly. 

Set the ignition to on and see if the ticking is gone. If it is, you need to realign the trac pot

This is what I am replying to, sorry.