Throbbing/droning Sound At High Speed

A2 Lexus

I'm having my first unresolved problem with my 2006 GX470 and am wondering if there are any others who have had this problem.

The car has developed a droning sound which starts becoming audible at around 60 mph and becomes unbearably loud at 70-75 mph. People driving with me have heard it and asked what is wrong with the car.

I had the car in for the driveshaft recall and drove around with the technician who confirmed the noise. He said he has had it on a few other cars. When I went to pick up the car, the service advisor acknowledged the problem, but said that there is no fix from Lexus. It shows on the work order as "normal condition". The car has only 9,000 miles and the noise is apparent on all road surfaces, so I don't think it is the tires, nor did the service tech.

I put in a call today to Lexus customer service and am waiting for a call back. Hoping you folks can give me some ammo.

Thanks.

John

It is amazing that Lexus has not addressed the droning noise yet in 2006 models. Sorry but I think most of the GX470 trucks have this issue, but most people don't hear it, or don't go that fast 65-75mph.

I have a 2004 model that was purchased on December of 2003. Just after 2 days of owning the car, I heard the exact same noise that you are describing. After many trips to Lexus service, and many road tests I was able to establish a case which I took all the way to corporate level. Even I requested to return the truck back to them, but they claimed that this is normal sound in the truck and nothing can be done. The service foreman tried swaoing the drive shaft to see if it helps, but it didn't. So i can tell you that I did fight them, but didn't get anywhere. :cries:

So after owning the car for over 3 years now, I am kinda used to hearing the noise and it does not bother me as much. :huh: You can hear and feel it a lot more in winter time for some reason. Specifically when it is cold. It is just sad that they have not done anything to the design to fix this problem, even now? :angry:

Anyway, best of luck to you, and please let me know if you get anywhere with this issue.

Bob

So after owning the car for over 3 years now, I am kinda used to hearing the noise and it does not bother me as much. :huh: You can hear and feel it a lot more in winter time for some reason. Specifically when it is cold. It is just sad that they have not done anything to the design to fix this problem, even now? :angry:

Anyway, best of luck to you, and please let me know if you get anywhere with this issue.

Bob

Interesting what you said about it getting worse in the cold weather. We had a pretty mild early winter, and I only started noticing the noise after it got pretty cold out. Not sure what to make of that, but it's interesting.

Which tires did your car come with? Mine have the Dunlops, which I find to be horrible tires in general. I'm wondering if a tire change might help.

• 3 weeks later...

I am sad to see this thread. I just purchased my 2007 less than 1 month ago and have this droning harmonic sound from the front driver side. Same speeds as discribed above, 70-80 mph is terrible. it is at the dealer today for potential resolution?!?!?! the sound is most apparent when the accellerator is down, if you lift while going 70-80 the noise stops. I am not a technitian, but it seems to be driveline related not tires. the technitian and i did a drive and he confirmed that is not likely the wheel bearing or the tires. i am very disapointed with my $50k lexus... sad, very sad.

all i can say is my wife with be driving this thing and may never hit 70 mph. ever.

just got the call from the dealership. they acknowledge the droning sound, yet consider this noise "normal". so, i will never buy another lexus. :censored::censored::censored:

now my 8 hour trips to see my wifes family will be like "chinese water torture"...

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=72...og-sl&hl=en

you can hear this low harmonic sound starting at 70 mph... turn up the volume on your desktop pc. the speakers on my laptop are lame and its hard to hear 'cause its such a low pictch and the speakers are only like 1/2" in diameter.

woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo-woo... til i drive off a cliff...insane.

I'm not a tech also, but it seems like it MAY be a tire issue. Tires do make a lot of difference and the type of asphalt or cement you're driving on. I would highly suggest taking it to a different dealership if ur dealer wouldn't fix it as you are entitled to a fix for this problem. Good luck ;)

I'm not a tech also, but it seems like it MAY be a tire issue. Tires do make a lot of difference and the type of asphalt or cement you're driving on. I would highly suggest taking it to a different dealership if ur dealer wouldn't fix it as you are entitled to a fix for this problem. Good luck ;)

I posted earlier in response, ( 1st reply) My GX is a 2004, and it will be paid off this year and I still have the same issue. IT IS NOT THE TIRE. LEXUS knows about this, but has not done a darn thing about it. :chairshot: The noise is very annoying, I have tried everything to fix this issue, including returning the truck, but I would have lost in every case. Frankly, I do not drive the car anymore, only on occasions. My wife does not seem to hear it or just does not care. So we switched, and I am driving the Mercedes :) I just can not believe that LEXUS does not care and still have the same issue in 2007 models. They can make the car park itself, but can't overcome a very annoying and abnormal NOISE.

That is why I will go back to German cars. !Removed! just don't care. :angry:

Which brand tires do you each have. Interesting to see if there is a parallel here. I don't have this very bad and only started when my tires reached about 15,000 miles. I have Michelins.

Bridgestone Dueler H/T

265-65-17

I don't think my issue is the tires because if I lift off the accellerator the noice stops. I think if it was the tires, it would continue while at the same rate of speed. Could you hear the noise on your PC from the video link? Is your noise the same?

I posted earlier in response, ( 1st reply) My GX is a 2004, and it will be paid off this year and I still have the same issue. IT IS NOT THE TIRE. LEXUS knows about this, but has not done a darn thing about it.:chairshot: The noise is very annoying, I have tried everything to fix this issue, including returning the truck, but I would have lost in every case. Frankly, I do not drive the car anymore, only on occasions. My wife does not seem to hear it or just does not care. So we switched, and I am driving the Mercedes :) I just can not believe that LEXUS does not care and still have the same issue in 2007 models. They can make the car park itself, but can't overcome a very annoying and abnormal NOISE.

That is why I will go back to German cars. !Removed! just don't care. :angry:

Funny, I drive a Mercedes too and its great.

I should have streatched a lil for the GL - SUV of the Year.

• 2 weeks later...

Try these:

1. Switch to Michelin P265/65R17 tires.

2. Make sure the center differential disconnect botton is off.

3. Remove the perpendicular luggage rack bars to reduce the harmonic vibration caused by air-speed.

I have an FJ Cruiser that came with no rack. It was very quite at speed. After installing the roof rack, it has this same condition as described.

Instead of taking out the perpendicular cross bars (if that's the source of the noise), you could try putting them close together at the rear and that should reduce the possibility of harmonic resonance. That way you don't have to worry about loosing them, getting damaged, or not having them installed when you need them.

I would be curious to hear the success stories people have about reducing/eliminating the sound as I'm sure it would drive me nuts if/when it happens to me.

I have a 2004 that I bought new in 10/2004..so its a late model 2004. I also have the Bridgestone Dueler HT tires on mine. I take it on the highway all of the time at those speeds, and have never encountered the drone that you are experiencing. Mine is quiet and smooth at highway speeds. I've also never experienced the driveline "clunk" that others have.

If mine, or any other, does not have that drone, how can Lexus consider it normal?

• 2 weeks later...

The "drone" started on our '05 GX right after the 10K service. Noticed at 70 mph and above, but it went away on deceleration.

Mentioned that to my service rep (Lexus of Ann Arbor) for our 15K service today. Talked to the mechanic when I picked it up and he said he reversed the left front axle shaft and removed a damper.

On the way home the "drone" started in at 58 mph and was pronounced over 60. Service rep said she'd get with the mechanic and get back with me.

(Original Michelin tires - DEFINITELY NOT tire noise.)

Stay tuned.

I have a drone sound on my RX300, but to isolate it I tried this,, I reached the speed of the drone (maybe 5 mph faster) put the car in nuetral, turn the engine off. this would eliminate the exhaust and engine itself as the cause. Please try this, but be careful. the car will start while in nuetral again to obtain speed and control. Remember you will loose power steering so go on a straight road. On the old RX300's they had sounds at different speeds and added weight dampners to the exhaust. Maybe you all have an exhaust related noise. Also check and make sure the front under panels are installed correctly, maybe they are loose causing the air flow to resonate them. Good luck, Sorry the Sorry arsed Lexus mechanics wont deal with it, and thankyou Lexus of America for responding as you always do, you worthless idiots.

My new 2007 Gx is heading to port even as I type.

Has Lexus fixed the 'clunking' driveshaft problems in the newest 2007?

Have they discovered the cause of the 'humming drone' at 70 mph?

The lease is up on my LX 470 (30,000 miles) and I'm concerned I will be unhappy with my new GX if these problems persist.

Any advice?

There is a TSB for the clunking driveshaft problems out already, not sure if the TSB is applied to your 07. The humming drone at 70 mph problem occurs in a very very small percentage of the GX, you should be fine.

There is a TSB for the clunking driveshaft problems out already, not sure if the TSB is applied to your 07. The humming drone at 70 mph problem occurs in a very very small percentage of the GX, you should be fine.

Thanks for the reassurance. I visited my Lexus dealer with some photocopies of these posts concerning the driveshaft and droning issues. He was well aware of the clunking problem and said it had been a nightmare for both dealer and customer but that it has been corrected.

He called his service department about the droning and the service manager said he was unaware of the problem. He then told me that his wife has a 2006 GX and that it doesn't happen to his car.

So I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'm one of the lucky ones. I just hope I don't regret giving my my LX470.

• 3 weeks later...

I have an 03 that had the droning problem. The dealer fixed it with a well known service bul. If I remember correctly it involves a different skid plate, steering dampner, and new lower control arms? They told me it was a harmonic problemin the front drive train. I always thought it felt like a harmonic problem around the intake(throttle position sensitive). I do know that the steering "feels" alot tighter at slow speeds than before.

I hope this helps.

I have an 03 that had the droning problem. The dealer fixed it with a well known service bul. If I remember correctly it involves a different skid plate, steering dampner, and new lower control arms? They told me it was a harmonic problemin the front drive train. I always thought it felt like a harmonic problem around the intake(throttle position sensitive). I do know that the steering "feels" alot tighter at slow speeds than before.

I hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

I hope this helps.

This interesting news.. is there a reference numer for the service bullitin?

I want to ensure my dealer is on the up-an-up with the fix.

It feels like drive train harmonic vibration to me... any more detail is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

there is a bul for this one I think... ST004-04 040219 Steering/Driveline - Vibration/Drone. Sorry can't paste all info here. I intend to have my dealer work on mine next service time. I do have this issue too.

Steering/Driveline - Vibration/Drone

STEERING

ST004-04

February 19, 2004

Title

STEERING VIBRATION AND DRIVELINE VIBRATION/DRONE

Models

'03 - '04 GX 470

Introduction

Some 2003 - 2004 model year GX 470 vehicles may exhibit a steering vibration and/or a front driveline drone when operated under certain conditions. The following procedure has been developed to improve the condition.

Applicable Vehicles^ 2003 - 2004 model year GX 470 vehicles produced BEFORE the Production Change Effective VIN shown below.

Production Change Information

Parts Information

Required Tools & Material

Warranty Information

Applicable Warranty*:

This repair is covered under the Lexus Comprehensive Warranty. This warranty is in effect for 48 months or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first, from the vehicle's in-service date.

* Warranty application is limited to correction of a problem based upon a customer's specific complaint

I think there are a few different drones with this set-up. The 4runners with the same V8 engine can develop a drone noise too, sounding like an exhaust problem, and goes away when you let up on the gas to coast. It was explained to me on another forum, that the 4.7 V8 does not have the EGR "Exhaust Gas Return" system. It's a straight V8 exhaust. This creates a rumble in the exhaust, like the engine is showing its "balls". My 05 V8 4runner has this drone, which in colder temps, is more pronounced. I've accepted it as part of the V8's growl, but was able to quiet it down a little with new plugs and seafoaming the crankcase during the past two oil changes, and using fully synthetic Mobile 1 5w30 oil. I'm betting a seafoam treatment of the intake will help to clean the exhaust valves in the engine and quiet it down a little more.

• 1 month later...
I've accepted it as part of the V8's growl, but was able to quiet it down a little with new plugs and seafoaming the crankcase during the past two oil changes, and using fully synthetic Mobile 1 5w30 oil. I'm betting a seafoam treatment of the intake will help to clean the exhaust valves in the engine and quiet it down a little more.

Would using mobil One 5w-30 oil have any affect on this? I've never experienced the problem on my 2004, but I also have used nothing but Mobil One since my first oil change at 2,800 miles