Suddenly A Soft Brake Peddle

I have a 1998 GS 300 with 155,000kms. Last week the brake peddle movement increased considerably when brakes are applied. There are no faults lights on the dash. After bleeding the brakes there is no change and Lexus advises that the Power Boost in the Master Cylinder is faulty and suggests replacing the entire unit.....................very expensive. Would anyone verify this advice and advise me if a Master Cylinder at 1/5 the price from a wrecker would be a good idea? :cries:

I have a 1998 GS 300 with 155,000kms. Last week the brake peddle movement increased considerably when brakes are applied. There are no faults lights on the dash. After bleeding the brakes there is no change and Lexus advises that the Power Boost in the Master Cylinder is faulty and suggests replacing the entire unit.....................very expensive. Would anyone verify this advice and advise me if a Master Cylinder at 1/5 the price from a wrecker would be a good idea?

Do you have any leaks? Is this power booster run off of the power steering like with many other cars? I would test the booster first. With the car off push your foot down on the pedal. Then start the car. The pedal should pop up rapidly if the booster is good. The pedal will pop up firmly. This tells you the booster is doing it job in providing pressure for the brakes.

Its possible one of the seals in the master is shot. This would cause a mushy pedal but no leaks would be found. Just another scenerio.